Month's Goal: $300, Received: $305.00 - (102%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2105 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Kieninger - Hour Strike Problem

I inherited a grandfather clock with a Kieninger movement #75R93cm. It has 3 weights on chains, winchester chimes at 1/4,1/2,3/4 and hour and gongs the hour.
    The clock works fine except that the clock does not strike the correct hour. I tried moving the hour hand to the hour it struck but it did not cure the problem It does stike the hour when the hands are in the hour position but does not strike the correct hour; in fact it seems to strike a random hour i.e sometimes 3 gongs at 4 o'clock etc. Looking at the clock mechanism from the front, it appears that the lever that controls the number of strikes does not "fall" far enough to catch the pins at the right spot....see the attached photos of the clock. Can anyone help solve this problem?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FrontOfMovement2.jpg   HourControlLevers2.jpg   HourStrikeSide.jpg   ChimeStrikeside.jpg  

Default Re: Kieninger - Hour Strike Problem (RE: AndyEC)

Hi Andy, and welcome! You've correctly analyzed the problem, and there are two possible causes. As you've identified, the rack should fall just before the hour, and an extension of it rests against the "snail" at the center. If it's not hitting the snail, something is blocking the fall. Check the pin (gathering pin) that moves the rack up one tooth for each strike to see if it's in the way. It can be carefully rotated a bit if needed by supporting the wheel behind it and gently turning it out of the way. If the rack tail is hitting the snail but is counting the wrong hour, the snail has been removed and replaced at the wrong spot. If that's the case, it's a bit more complex but we can talk you through it. Let us know what you see.

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: Kieninger - Hour Strike Problem (RE: shutterbug)

Hi, Andy. Its possible that someone has oiled the shaft that the rack is on, and that the oil has turned gummy. You could remove the rack by pulling the c clip off and clean up the shaft and hole in the rack, then retry.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Smile Re: Kieninger - Hour Strike Problem (RE: harold bain)

Guys, thanks for the help. I took off the rack and cleaned it, reoiled it and put it back. I looked diligently for any obstruction to the rack falling against the snail....none found. I found that if I lifted up the rack hook, the rack fell against the snail with no problem. I went through each hour and found that from 1 to 7 the rack fell far enough to hit the snail and gong the correct time. However, from 8 on the rack did not get lifted up far enough by the strike flirt to allow the rack to hit the snail and gong the correct time....whatever controls the strike flirt is not lifting the rack high enough and long enough to allow the rack to hit the snail in the correct position. Instead it lets it drop premature (on the higher hours 8-12) because the rack has to travel further to get in the right position. This is my observation, I'm not a clock expert....what do I need to adjust to get this thing right?

Andy

Andy, if you push down on the lever that sticks out on the right side, will the rack drop all the way? If so, look at the U shaped part of that lever. You need to slightly expand that U so that the rack hook lifts a mm or so higher. You should be able to make this adjustment with a twist from a large screwdriver blade. The likely cause of this problem is bushing wear behind the cam that lifts this lever.
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: Kieninger - Hour Strike Problem (RE: harold bain)

How long before the strike commences does the rack fall? If it's too close, it could be trying to lift before it completes the fall.

Default Re: Kieninger - Hour Strike Problem (RE: shutterbug)

Again thanks for your help.
    Shutterbug: once the rack falls it takes about 3 seconds before the hammers left up to gong the hour.
    Harold Bain: Yes, if I lift up on the end of the strike flirt the rack falls all the way to the snail with no problems! Now do you mean to spread apart the gap on the strike flirt where the "U" appears? I have attached a picture so I know for sure that is where you meant see picture strikemovement_1. wouldn't I get the same response, that of lifting the strike flirt higher by putting something on the end of it where it lifts the rack hook...see picture strikemovement_2? What bushing do you think is worn?

Andy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails StrikeMovement_1.jpg   StrikeMovement_2.jpg  

Your solution would also work, giving more lift to drop the rack. The worn bushing likely causing the problem is under the cam that lifts the lever on the 4th quarter chime (under the end of the U).
    You can tell if you have a bushing problem by removing the weight, and manually pushing the wheel with the chain on it and watching the pivots above it for back and forth movement.
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Talking Re: Kieninger - Hour Strike Problem (RE: harold bain)

Thanks again guys...your help led me to the final solution to my hour striking problem. Here is what I did....I got a hollow plastic eartip, wrapped some tape on it in an amount I guessed at and placed it on the pin of the Rack Hook that the Strike Flirt lifts to allow the Rack to fall to the snail. This worked perfectly!!!! No problems now! When I can find a replacement for the bushing that Harold suggested...then I can probably remove the "pin adjuster" I made up. Where can I get this part?

Thanks
    AndyEC

Andy, replacing that bushing would require some advanced skills that you will have to master first. The movement has to be stripped right down, and the old bushing cut out, and a new one pressed in from the inside.
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

If you are refereing to the bushing located below the "U" on the strike Flirt rod in my pictures, it seems to be held on with only a screw.....unless you are talking about something else? What would that cost to be fixed by a clock repair person?

The bushing is imbedded in the main plate, and supports the arbor. There are 2 for each arbor, one in the front plate, one in the back. If one is worn, likely many more are. Replacing the movement would be about the same price as an overhaul of your movement.
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

WOW .....THE "QTIP" SOLUTION IS FINE FOR NOW!

THANKS
    ANDY

Something you could do to preserve your clock is to put a drop (very small drop) of clock oil on each of these bushings. This will help prevent wear, but won't make up for already worn parts. It will help give you some time before it really needs overhauling, or replacing.
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Note to self: Buy 'Q' tips