Month's Goal: $300, Received: $235.00 - (78%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2049 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    Registered user.

Default Ingraham Banjo Clock

I am new to the forum and new to clocks. I got this clock from my father while rummaging through some old paintings he had that got water damaged. Unfortunately, I had to visit because of a death in the family. My step-mom was a collector of paintings and antiques. They have a basement full of collectables. I found an old Ingraham banjo clock wedged between some damaged paintings. The glass is broken and the bezel is not in good shape, and there is no key. I have been looking up the history of Ingraham banjo clocks and trying to find one similar. Does anyone know of any sites or info for this type of clock?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0003-1.jpg   IMG_0004-1.jpg  

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Ingraham Banjo Clock (RE: patpending)

Hello Patpending.
    You are at one of the best sites now to find information on your clock.
    I have a Ingrham banjo clock much like yours.Mine is from around the 1930,s.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Default Re: Ingraham Banjo Clock (RE: Kevin W.)

The one you have is called the Nordic, one of a series of small, hairspring banjos that Ingraham introduced in the mid-1930's. The movement they used was a fairly good one as these movements go. I have a couple on my wall (and have had others in the past) that keep good time. Sometimes, Ingraham put a date on the back of the case toward the bottom. I believe it would be in month-year format. You might look to see if you can find one to give you an approximate date of yours. Nordics come up occasionally on eBay and seem to be desirable if in good condition. They are attractive.

To correct my info., the Nordic is one of three that Ingraham introduced in the late 1920's, the others being the Norfolk and The Norway. The reference that everyone consults first would be Tran Duy Ly's Ingraham Clocks & Watches. Tran put out several volumes touching on the major American clock makers and Gustav Becker, who made high-quality German clocks. But not everything is not in Tran's books. As Kevin said, this is a good site to come to for information.
    Last edited by Steven Thornberry; 12-07-2008 at 11:11 AM. Reason: correction

Registered user.

Default Re: Ingraham Banjo Clock (RE: Steven Thornberry)

Steven T & Kevin, Thank you much for the info. Never thought clocks could be so interesting. This clock will be a pleasent reminder for me. Thank God for this forum, I'm gonna try to get it back in shape. Who knows whats next.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Ingraham Banjo Clock (RE: patpending)

Patpending nice to hear you are going to restore the clock.If you have any repair questions don,t forget to post in clock repair.I think you will become addicted to clocks if are not already.

Default Re: Ingraham Banjo Clock (RE: Kevin W.)

Half the fun of clocks is tinkering with the movement, the other half is keeping the case in good condition. The last half is the history that each has played a part in. There, that's three halves. As Yogi Berra said: "Ninety percent of this game is mental, and the other half is physical."

It appears that the broken glass you are referring to is the dial glass. Those are easy to replace, either in flat or convex glass. The "Framed Glass Panels with Many Colored Ornamentation" as referred to in the Ingraham catalog look to be in great condition. The case is described as having a "fine rubbed mahogany finish" and the "very accurate eight day lever movements, which are key wound and key regulated" as being constructed with extra heavy brass plates, steel cut pinions, and double roller escapement.

One thing, the hands on your clock are a different style, and there is a strange grommet around the winding hole. Hopefully, these are not an indication of a replaced movement. If you can remove the hands and dial and post a picture of the movement, we can tell you what we think.
    Jeremy

Registered user.

Jeremy, it amazes me that you know so much about this clock and can tell that it is not the original hands. There is a tag on the back that says "New works installed 10-30-72". I could not quite figure out what it said until I read your post. Now it makes sense. (Sort of like detective work.) I am sending a picture of the back of the clock. If in fact the works have been replaced, should I look for the original style movement? This clock will NEVER leave my possession, but I would like to have it in original working order.

This I see can be very addictive !!!

Registered user.

Jeremy, Think I forgot the pics Here they are. And Thank you
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0007.jpg   IMG_0006.jpg  

It's too bad the works have been changed, although it appears to have been fairly sensitively done, with the new works matching the original dial holes. I would guess that it would be possible to find an original movement. Hopefully someone with one of these clocks with an original movement will come along and provide a picture of what it looks like.
    Jeremy

Default Re: Ingraham Banjo Clock (RE: Jeremy Woodoff)

I am pilfering from another thread to post a picture of the movement. Kevin West should recognize it since he posted it. It is from his own banjo. I'm sure he won't mind furthering the cause. These movements are not commonly found outside the confines of a case. They were also used in other Ingraham wall clocks. Curiously enough, I earlier this year sold off five clocks that contained one of these movements. Two were in banjos; the others in the Master series made by Ingraham in the 1920's - 30's. One of the Master movements was missing the speed regulator, but the other two could have been worked up to speed, so to speak. The movement needs the round metal plate behind it to fit onto the back of the case. Too bad I couldn't see your need coming; I would gladly have given you one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ingraham%20banjo.JPG  

Registered user.

Ever so helpful. I'm gonna keep my eyes open in search of another clock. I noticed that the dial numbers are gold and the one I have are black. Would this dial I have be the original or has this been replaced also?? It really disapointed me that is not the original works, but the clock itself is a connection with my stepmom that I will always have. So again maybe I'll keep this clock the way it is and start looking for another one I can play with. Funny thing today at work I couldn't get this Banjo clock off my mind. And here I sit raring to go.

Ingraham made both types of dials for some of their small banjos. Your and Kevin's are likely to be both original; at the very least they may be considered correct, if they are not original.

I just picked up an Ingraham "Nordic" banjo clock (identified according to the throat glass). Unfortunately the tablet glass is missing and has been replaced by a postcard of a building behind the glass. I didn't find a proper replacement for the tablet at Merritts, Timesavers or on ebay and doubt that it will be available elsewhere. Could anyone post a high resolution picture of the tablet so that I could print it in the correct size on a color printer? It would clearly look much better than the current "fix". Your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Uhrlat

Blog Entries

Default Re: Ingraham Banjo Clock (RE: Uhralt)

Hi Steven.yes i wish i had seen this earlier.I still have not overhauled the old girl but i will.I just need a new glass for my bezel after to finish it.