Goal: $300, Received: $370.00 (124%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 74 123451151 ... LastLast

Default Post your JUNGHANS clocks here

Please post pictures and details of your Junghans clocks here. If possible include a picture of the movement with the markings on the backplate. I have compiled a table of movement markings that I have seen over the years. All the data that are marked with an “X” and highlighted in yellow are markings that I have documented. Would greatly appreciate all help in adding to the database.

Vic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Junghans Movement Markings Dec 2008.jpg  

Default Re: Post your JUNGHANS clocks here (By: any400day)

Attached is my only Jughans, an elephant swinger, circa 1910.

Regards.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0152.jpg  

Default Re: Post your JUNGHANS clocks here (By: new2clocks)

My Junghans c 1900? Movement marked B10
    Westminster Chimes

Hope this is what you want Vic?
    regards,
    Jay
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Junghans mantle.jpg   junghhans 6.jpg  

i cant tell further, except rear markings shows UNGHANS J in the 8-crested star,... WURTTEMBERG

the watchshop uncle didnt note the movement, "alphabet+2numbers"

i dont know itz age,...

anyone could enlighten me, pls?
    http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?t=44908
    feel free to comment in the "identification sought" thread

Default Re: Post your JUNGHANS clocks here (By: fobs)

Hi Vic,

Below are pictures of a Junghans WM chime tambour with B25 movement markings. I thought the original model label on the bottom was nice.

Best,

Richard T.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails JunghansWMTambour.jpg   Junghans Label.jpg   004.jpg   JunghansWMchimeB25Mvt..jpg  

Default Re: Post your JUNGHANS clocks here (By: Richard T.)

Thanks to all that have posted their clocks so far and please keep them coming.

new2clocks,
    The elephant swinger is listed from 1910 to 1937-38 (I do not have reference material prior to 1910 except for a 1904 catalogue which does not show any swingers). It is known as Model No. 6785 from 1910 till about 1920 when Junghans adopted a new model numbering system that started with a group code which changed it to Model No. 4/51.

Jay,
    Could not find your clock in the 1910 French Junghans nor the 1911 catalogues but based on previous postings on this Message Board, with confirmation from Junghans, your clock was made in the 2nd half of 1910 ( “A” for 1st half and “B” for 2nd half followed by the year “10”). I agree with the “AB” year markings as there is a movement in the 1910 catalogue that is marked with “A09” which would be correct for the catalog to be published and released in the late 1909.
    Would appreciate if you could post pictures of the front of movement (when you next service the clock), close up of movement back and “B10” markings if possible.

fobs,
    We need the alphabet with the numbers on the movement back before we can try to date the clock. You can loosen the two screws on the mounting board and slide the movement out to check or provide some pictures.

Richard T,
    Sorry, do not have the complete 1925 & 1926 catalogues and your clock is not listed in what I have. The movement is Werke 103 Westminster Chime. Same request for pictures of movement and close-up if possible.

Vic

any400day,

i'm in penang, m'sia.
    u are in s'pore?

i'll try to see what i can do with the clock to provide pics,...
    anyway, i recorded the chime,... itz not westminter and i do not know what chime that is,...

maybe i can email the file to u and let u figure it out,...

Vic
    Thanks for the information. I took my magnifier and noticed that there is a number(serial?) 140 on the right side of the back of the movement.

Jay

Default Re: Post your JUNGHANS clocks here (By: Jay)

Want to make sure this important effort is uplisted (so to speak).

For the first time, and with the help of the CD'd catalogues Vic is making available, it is becoming possible to establish some dating lines for what was once the largest clock manufactory in the world. That we've previously had so little in the way of dating guidelines has been both ironic and an irritation.

There are lots of Junghans clocks out there -- please help out.

Regards,
    Zep

P.S. Below, an ad in the Deutscher Uhrmacher-Kalender für 1913. The largest clock factory in the world. Daily production 15,000 clocks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jung 1913 DUK001.jpg  

Default Re: Post your JUNGHANS clocks here (By: zepernick)

Quote Originally Posted by harold bain View Post
    Bryan, B32 dates your clock to the second half of 1932.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Prindle View Post
    What? This clock has a count wheel and a lever design. It also has a round gong and a round top on the case. All point to a 1800's design. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see how. By the 1930's Junghans was using a rack and snail design with removable spring barrels. Everything about this clock points to the 1800's.

Like I said, I don't get it....

Bryan
    Bryan, can you show a closeup of that trademark? It may help to confirm that date by when the trademark was used. We had a post a year or so ago on Junghan movements and dating them, and someone got confirmation from the Junghan factory that it was indeed a date code (B32).
    Quote Originally Posted by jmclaugh View Post
    Bryan,
    From what I can make out the trademark appears to be the commonly seen 8 pointed star with UNGHANS over a J. If so I understand this mark dates from 1894. As Harold says a member did get an email to say the codes with A or B and two digits are date codes and I suppose if Junghans say so then it must be true. I am still puzzled why in my experience the majority of movements do not have date codes and why in some examples I have seen, the case, when original, doesn't match the date code.

Bryan,
    The movement on your clock is a version of Movement 74 (picture attached) that uses the flat lever instead of the round wire levers that were used in earlier movements. The switch over from the round wire to flat levers is approx. 1910 which mean that the earliest possible date of manufacture of your movement cannot be earlier than 1910.

“B32” is a manufacturing date with the “A” being the 1st half and “B” the 2nd half of the year. The general trend from the table I provided at the beginning of this thread shows movements to have be made from 1905 to 1922 (excluding WWI), then there is a gap from 1923 to 1925/26.
    Junghans switched over to a “two digits year & one or two digits month” marking format from 1927/1928.
    There are several movements with “32”, “42” and “52”. Someone tipped me off to the possibility that the “32”, “42” & “52’ represents the years 1923, 1924 & 1925.

I found a picture of your clock in the 1923 Junghans catalogue but was not able to find any matches in catalogues from 1927 to 1939. A picture of the catalogue page from 1923 is attached.
    Another interesting point is that Movement 74 was no longer shown in their catalogues from 1928. It was replaced by Movement 202 which they listed as “improved movement 74”. While research is still on-going, there is a very strong possibility that your clock was made in 1923.

Vic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mvmt Front.jpg   1923 Junghans Mvmt 74.jpg   Rio Case.jpg   Junghans Rio 1923 sm.jpg  

Here are pics of the only 2 I have.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image004.jpg   Image002.jpg  

Default Re: Post your JUNGHANS clocks here (By: MQ32shooter)

hey vic,

my junghans says A27
    i've snapped some pics, later wil upload them.

now i've got a video of the hammer sequencing
    the chimes at quarters are a bit off, i've taken a look and the thin foil on that side seems to be loose,...

alignment on the hammer and bars seems out,...
    also the dial is not in position

this whole clocks needs alignment,...
    oily oily inside,... :o

guyz,

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Fobs, your clock could really use a good cleaning. Interesting setup with 8 hammers and 4 rods. Chime block appears built to have 5 rods, possibly to accomodate a different tune.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: Post your JUNGHANS clocks here (By: harold bain)

Fobs, your clock could really use a good cleaning. Interesting setup with 8 hammers and 4 rods. Chime block appears built to have 5 rods, possibly to accomodate a different tune.
    my neighbor sent his similar clock (8 hammers, 8 rods, westminter chime) for tuning/servicing/etc,...
    when he gets the clock back, i'll see wat workmanship/price he gets,... then i'll send this,...

and old watch-repair uncle was also surprised when heard abt the 8 hammers and 4 rods,...

i'm not sure if this junghans have been rojak (mix-matched),...

our country is famous for mix-matching, let vic tell u guyz abt it.

vic vic, where are u?