Month's Goal: $300, Received: $235.00 - (78%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2036 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Joyce Whitchurch turret clock

Here is a joyce whitchurch turret clock I got about 2 months ago (I had to have it) I cleaned it and got it running again. I email the company that took over the joyce clock company and got some history on it, its a 12 inch A-frame from the 1850's they use it form stable's or church's . I found this site today -I was looking for history on the morbier clock and came to this great site -that has a section on tower clocks which other site's don't have them. So I posted some picture's mine for you guys -thanks Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0002.JPG   IMG_0003.JPG   IMG_0004.JPG   IMG_0005.JPG   IMG_0006.JPG  

IMG_0007.JPG  

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: Joyce Whitchurch turret clock (RE: mr.jeepster)

Hi, Bob, welcome to the message board. Very nice turret clock. I would love to have the problem of finding room for one of those
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Thanks for replying ,its not that big and it don't take that much room !( this is too big a morbier tall case almost 8 feet tall) The tower clock it stands 7 feet with stand ,the face is 30 inch wide. The guy I bought it from got it 15yrs ago from a clock collector that died. My wife was a little mad at first of how much it cost me ,I been collecting clocks for 20yrs and never saw one like this and it also had a face dial that came with it. What do you think it is worth I would like to find a picture of it on a building or something. thanks guys
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails morbier tall clock.JPG  

Bob, message board rules forbid giving any value estimates. But I would guess it wouldn't be a cheap purchase. Nice Morbier!!
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: Joyce Whitchurch turret clock (RE: harold bain)

Sorry about that-I didn't do it to sell it!! I just wanted to know if I got a good price for it!! I have alot of clocks and this one I couldn't seek it in the house!!
    Last edited by Grant Perry; 12-16-2009 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Requested by poster

Bob, I think you got a great deal at that price.
    I think I would have a hard time sneaking one that big past my better half as well.
    Do you run it?
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Out of all my clocks this one keeps the best time and has to be crank up every 2 days...bob

Blog Entries

Hi Bob,
    Great to have you here posting.
    yes i agree your turret clock is really nice, and i agree with Harold, you got a good deal on it.
    I would love to have one in my clock room .Might have hard time explaining the big cuts in the floor for the pendulum and weights to the wife.Somehow i do not think she would be pleased.But you can not make very one happy.
    You must be a pretty serious clock collector, and you have a Morbier too, way to go.Enjoy your clocks.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Default Re: Joyce Whitchurch turret clock (RE: Kevin W.)

Bob, I looked up the maker of your clock in Watchmakers and Clockmakers of the World by G. H. Baillie (1966 edition). It lists "J.B. Joyce & Co., Whitchurch(Salop). Ca 1800, still making turret clocks."
    If I had that clock, there would be a hole in the floor to give the weight a longer drop.
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Blog Entries

If I had that clock, there would be a hole in the floor to give the weight a longer drop.
    Hey Harold we think alike, not enough running time.Then i would have to ask the better half to wind the clock up for me.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Default Re: Joyce Whitchurch turret clock (RE: Kevin W.)

When I bought it, I found the company that took over the joyce company and email the guy over there and that's how I got some history on it. I want a picture with this clock on it (that would make my day) I ask him for a picture or who had this clock and the records got burn in a fire in the early 1920's at the factory.There are no numbers on the clock -just the name plate. And the guy I bought it from needed money right away ,he own's a antique place next town over,this was in his basement for 15yrs not running. He knew I was into clocks and ask me to buy from him for that amount and I had to promise him I wouldn't sell it on ebay or go to the antique road show with it. He told me this is my retirement fund when I get older!! I been looking at tower clock picture's and forms for about 2 month's when I found this great site.And still to this day I can't find mine !!! Now if I live in England the sell some turret clocks a ebay right now-there are to movements on there but no shipping and so cheap!! One thing that catch my eye's is a autowinder so I don't have to wind it every 2 days. And to answer your question and Idea's -she won't let me drill a hole into the floor!!!

Bob, would it be possible to put a pulley on the ceiling to suspend the weight higher for a longer drop? You don't want to make any major changes that will devalue the clock.
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

I did an autowinder recently for a time only Twaites and Reid. It worked out well. There are no permanent changes to the mechanism at all. The winding arbor connects with the 4 screws on the wheel, the idler is on a bracket that rests on the seatboard, and the motor and controller are all mounted on the new wood frame itself. It obviously uses an endless chain approach, so it has its own maintaining power, as well as that already built in the movement, there is only one relay and 3 switches in the circut, the motor and gear box is off the shelf stuff...etc etc... it rewinds every 4 or 5 hours and only takes a few seconds to rewind, like maybe 15 seconds. It has been in operation for about 2 years now, no hickups....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IM000408.jpg   IM000385.jpg   IM000393.jpg   IM000401.jpg   IM000405.jpg  

Default Re: Joyce Whitchurch turret clock (RE: Jim DuBois)

That looks so cool -( nice clock) but I don't mind winding every 2 days! I thought about putting the clock in the foyer that has 12 foot ceiling and build something from the wall and then put a autowinder in then. I like it on the stand it sit's on -looks cool !!! I like that you can see every part move. But I have to tell you something -I'm looking for another tower clock - they are so cool !! They build them with the best stuff they can find so they last a long time, my clock is from the 1850's and then is hardly no wear on none of the gears or the verge!!

Registered user.

Go to Ancestry.com then Shropshire and Denbighshire Joyce Family Tree for info on the family who made your clock.

Regards

J M Joyce