Month's Goal: $300, Received: $350.00 - (117%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1977 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Help Engaging Moon Dial on Emperor Mechanism

Hi,

I have an old Emperor grandfather clock case built from a kit that was lacking a mechanism, but which did have a nice face plate with moon dial. I was able to buy a "replacement" mechanism that was a Hermle brand
    built for Emperor Clocks. The mechanism does fit the four mounting pins on the back of the face plate perfectly, but I do not see anything present which would engage the wheels on the back of the faceplate to make the moon dial turn. Can anyone tell me what I am missing and if I could buy a little missing piece to fix the apparent problem? Thanks for any help.

Keith
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HPIM0702.jpg   HPIM0703.jpg   HPIM0709.jpg   HPIM0710.jpg  

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: Help Engaging Moon Dial on Emperor Mechanism (RE: Keithkobold)

Keith, you are missing a small brass gear that fits on the hour cannon to mesh with the gear on the dial. It has a setscrew to tighten it. All the suppliers should carry it, but there are 2 sizes, depending on the diameter of your hour cannon.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: Help Engaging Moon Dial on Emperor Mechanism (RE: harold bain)

Thanks Harold, I think I know what you are taking about. I saw one on another mechanism I am playing with. It sits on the main cannon which the minute and hour hands are put on, but it is put on before the minute and hour hands. Does it have a special name, or should I just take my mechanism in and explain that I need a little brass gear that will fit on this cannon to engage my moon dial?

Keith, it's called a moon drive gear in my Timesavers catalogue. If you tell them the movement number, they can easily match the correct one for your movement (or if you are close enough to a supplier, just take the movement with you).
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Hi again,

One final question. I emailed Timesavers the movement number and their technician was unsure of the gear that I needed for the hour cannon to engage the moon dial. They had 3 options, but one can be eliminated due to its incorrect inner diameter hole size. The other two are both the correct 5 mm hole-size, but one has 20 teeth and the other has 30. As seen in my photo, the gear on the back of the face plate that would mesh with the one I need to put on the hour cannon has about 40 teeth. So any idea which one I need to buy from Timesavers, or are they both wrong and I need to find a 40 tooth gear somewhere else?

Thanks for any more help, Keith.

Merritt's seems to make this easier, as they only carry the 20 tooth gears, in 2 sizes of ID. I would therefore go with the 20 tooth size, but they are cheap enough to order one of each just in case.
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

The gear you need to count is the one with the little pin that advances the moondial. From your picture it appears to have 40 teeth as well, so I would vote for the 20 tooth wheel on the hour cannon. That would give a 2:1 reduction from the hour hand to the wheel that advances the moon phase, causing it to advance once per day. As a double check you can count the number of clicks on the moon dial itself and confirm it has the usual 57.