Month's Goal: $300, Received: $390.00 - (130%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1938 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 273334353637

Default Re: Your newest aquisition. Volume 7 (RE: harold bain)

Thanks, Harold. I actually have the pendulum adjusted so that it's keeping pretty good time, above my expectations. Below is the George Owen clock. No label and a replaced dial and door glass. I intend to replace the dial with one having Roman numerals. Owen's door glasses were apparently much more delicate and restrained than door glasses of thet era were in general. The clock has an 1876 patent date on the bezel and a patent date on the movement of what may be 1874 (it is hard to read, and it may be a later date). The movement is also signed George B. Owen Clock Co., which began operations about 1875.

In 2002 the American Clock & Watch Museum published a reprint of an 1878 catalogue that contained pictures of 38 Owen clocks as well as those of other makers. Chris Bailey did the Forward and the biographical afterword. From that reprint, I determined that this clock may be the Excelsior. The base on mine is different from the one shown in the catalogue but it is shown on other Owen clocks. Also, the center finial on mine is different, but looks for all the world to have been there a while. Still, it would not surprise me if it were an old replacement.

Polite and Savage (antiqueclockspriceguide.com) show two unnamed examples of what appear to be the Excelsior; both of those have the same base as mine.

Owen clocks are hard to find (unless you count what he did for Gilbert, where he was General Manager for many years), but I know where there is another, and I am thinking of grabbing it before someone else does.

Picture quality leaves a bit to be desired, and I apologize in advance. I would append a picture from the ACWM catalogue reprint, but I don't have their ok and am not sure if they may have given us blanket authority. But I acknowledge that much of my information comes from that publication.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Owens Walnut 002.jpg   Owens Walnut 003.jpg  

Default Re: Your newest aquisition. Volume 7 (RE: Steven Thornberry)

And to round out the day, a Gilbert Round Top, also recently picked up. The signed movement has an 1870 patent date. The label shows Wm. L. Gilbert Clock Co., which was formed 1n 1871 and began producing in 1873. This one may be mid to late 1870's.

Tran's Gilbert book shows four pictures of Round Tops, but none of them have this exact door style. The closest has a latch similar to that found on the Ingraham Dorics; it opens and closes by means of the key. Mine has a simple knob. The glass seems original and the style is shown in Tran on clocks from the same era. If redone, it is quite nice. It is held in by wood strips.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gilbert Round Top 001.jpg   Gilbert Round Top 002.jpg  

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Nice pickups, Steven. Is the Gilbert an 8 day? The only Owen I have is a black mantel with a Winsted Clock Company label. It's a "Jamaica".
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: Your newest aquisition. Volume 7 (RE: Chris Radano)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Radano View Post
    I've had this for a few weeks, and cleaned the case. This is an earlier Winterhalder Hoffmeier burr walnut veneer bracket clock with a twin fusee wood plate movement. The movement is dated. The back is missing some bits, not sure if the top had some kind of cover for the bell. I gave up trying to clean the smoke residue off the brass inlay in the front of the case, about 60% of the stringing is missing. But I'm still happy with how it looks. I have not seen this style before.
    Very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by harold bain View Post
    Nice pickups, Steven. Is the Gilbert an 8 day? The only Owen I have is a black mantel with a Winsted Clock Company label. It's a "Jamaica".
    Harold: Yes, the Gilbert is an 8-day and has been running pretty well, though I suspect it will soon be due for a cleaning, etc. Still, the movement wasn't in too bad a condition.

Owen's clocks are interesting. Very attractive styles, and some nice wall clocks appear in the catalogue. I would love to see your black mantel. Can't be too many Winsted C. C. labels out there.

My Jamaica is the same as the one shown in Tran's Gilbert book from 1904, 10 years after Winsted was purchased by Gilbert and dissolved. The dial and movement are unsigned but same as Gilbert in the book.
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

So, I went back and bought the second Owen clock. This one is the Metis, shown in the 1878 catalogue I mentioned earlier. Again, I think the door glass is a replacement, but all else seems original. The signed movement carries the mention "Pat. Appl'd For."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Owen Metis 003.jpg  
    Last edited by Steven Thornberry; 08-25-2009 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Correction of movement patent info.

Nice clock, Steven. I see Gilbert uses the same model name, for a totally different clock.
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Just bought this little Badische Uhrenfabrik wall clock. I know it works, but other than that, I don't know much about it, I just like the way it looks

It's about 22 inches tall and 10 inches wide. I've got a post on the Clock Case Restoration forum about finding missing rosettes for the headpiece.

Eric
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails clock body.jpg   clock inside.jpg   clock top.jpg   clock bottom.jpg  

I purchased this clock last night at an estate sale. Birks was (and is) an expensive jewelry retailer in major Canadian cities. It's a Birks signed office clock manufactured by Waterbury Clock Co. The owner told me that the clock was originally purchased by a bank in Western Canada.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 020.jpg   024.jpg  

Got me a new Ingraham last night! Just need to find a new bezel an some hands. Is this one of the named Ingrahams? I can see a shadow on the back where a large tag was...Movement has a '79 date on it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ingraham.jpg  

Default Re: Your newest aquisition. Volume 7 (RE: clockhoarder)

Quote Originally Posted by clockhoarder View Post
    Got me a new Ingraham last night! Just need to find a new bezel an some hands. Is this one of the named Ingrahams? I can see a shadow on the back where a large tag was...Movement has a '79 date on it
    I find that the angle of the shot and the dark background obscure a lot of detail. Several with a general case similarity. Perhaps someone else can distinguish it better.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Thornberry View Post
    I find that the angle of the shot and the dark background obscure a lot of detail. Several with a general case similarity. Perhaps someone else can distinguish it better.
    Ya...I need to take a better pic...that was the one posted on the site where I got it from.........It has a top that resembles a Pagoda, or a Victrola lid