Month's Goal: $300, Received: $35.00 - (12%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2125 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    Registered user.

Default Help: Howard Miller 3 chimes grandfather clock.

Hello: I was givein a grandfather clock by my pastor when I told him about the trouble i was having with my chain drive gf movemnt - J with cirual star in that. Bill said when his mother passaway back in 1991 His dad sent Him this clock> they took it all down, the movment and dail ect. when the company brought evrything was there except the dail and 3 hands and hand nut ,the penddium. the weights crank and door lock key pullys made the trip. so i call howard miller in new zeeland mi.they don't have parts for clock that are that old. so they gave me,the number for clock unlitend. when i called them, and i gave them the movement number 1161-853BS 114 cm 60" they may not have the right dail .the man there was not very nice,when i ask who would have it.. sorry and hang up. now i thought i would aks you all, if you may know where i can get the missing parts... I love the back of the movment is all nice with scolling all over the back... it has 3 chimes and cable drive... any help??

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: Help: Howard Miller 3 chimes grandfather clock. (RE: topkat4you-12)

Randy, if your movement is the one I think it is, the wind arbors line up straight across the front of the dial. If so, I have a dial that will fit it. The replacement movements have the center arbor lower, so the new dials fit this arrangement. Weights should be the same as new movement weights, as should hands. Butterworth lists the weights as 7.7 pounds for time and strike, and 9.9 for the chime.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Registered user.

Default Re: Help: RE HOWARD MILLER CLOCK. (RE: topkat4you-12)

Hi; on the clock movemnt, i do have the weights and pullys whats missing,, pendluim and dail hands and nut. the pendluim lenth is 114 cm 60.
    on the movement. from the srike winding arrbor to the chime arrbor merring tape form the strike arrbor to the chime arrbor is 5 past 5 1/2 there are 3 little lines and just before 6 there is 2 little marks before the 6 inc mark. then from the hand shaft to winding arrbor is two inc sorry i can read merring tape.
    thank you.....

Randy, are the winding arbors in a straight line across the front of the movement? Or is the center arbor lower than the other two?
    Is there a year stamped on the back of the movement?
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: Help: Howard Miller 3 chimes grandfather clock. (RE: harold bain)

I think if the arbors were straight, it meant it was built by Urgos. Helpful, maybe?

Registered user.

Default Re: Help: Howard Miller DAIL AND PENDLUM NEEDED. (RE: topkat4you-12)

Hi: just got out of the hosptial. anyway, on this howard miller grandfather movemnt. the dail and pendluim is missing. it has triple chimes with cables. yes the winding holes are bewteen the 8 and 9 same with 3 and 4 the center one is about 2 inc down from the center hand shaft. the weights did get some dents in them, so i'll need new shells. and will need new hands and secend hand. thanks randy email me
    aileenbb@saw.net|O

Hi, Randy. Merritts has all the parts you need for your clock.
    Dial, part # P1038D, $55.00
    Pendulum, Part # P961, $49.00
    Second hand, Part # P1044, $1.50
    Minute and Hour hands, Part # P796, $2.50 a pair
    Weight shells, Part # P55S, $10.00 each.
    Contact Merritts at 1-800-345-4101, Monday to Friday.
    Hope this helps with your GF clock, Randy.
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"