Goal: $300, Received: $90.00 (30%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3168 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I'm curious - Why is this clock so expensive?

Hi, all.

I know we're not supposed to get too much into the valuing or appraising of clocks in this forum, but I'm curious as to what makes this clock so desirable to warrant such a price??

I know Chelsea is a well-made ship's clock, so I'm certainly not expecting this clock to go for anything like a typical mantle clock or lowly tambour (just kidding). But I would expect the price to fall in the usual ship's clock price-range, not the over-$5K price he has for the buy-it-now option. And, as of going-on 7:00 pm ET (with a little over 2 hours to go on the bidding), the bidders have reached nearly half of his buy-it-now price (but it has a reserve).

Anyway, I'm wondering: Is the bidding so active on this because of the candlesticks? Are they rare, and thus making the price go up?

The reason I'm so curious is because I have a clock virtually identical to this one, but which cost only $90, and it sat in the antique store for months and months (I looked at it for almost a year--I think the actual asking price then was about $150--before hinting to my partner that it would make a nice birthday present. He and his sister wheeled-and-dealed with the dealer and got it for $90).

Mine is also a Chelsea and is shaped identical to this one, but mine has a different name on the face (J.E. Caldwell & Co). I'm assuming this is merely the dealer's / clock-seller's name. (Does the name on the face make any difference in value?) The only other difference with mine is that mine appears to be a little more in the copper-color range than the one above.

Anyway, I was just wondering why this one was priced so high, whether the candlesticks (and/or the name on the face) are what's elevating the price, or whether my own clock was just the steal of the century.

Thanks in advance,
    John
    Last edited by harold bain; 10-20-2008 at 06:37 PM. Reason: remove link to current ebay auction
    John C.
    About 3/4 of my clock collection. Still photographing the last 1/4!

Default Re: I'm curious - Why is this clock so expensive? (By: Spaceman Spiff)

This auction is still active so we are not allowed to comment for another 2 hours.

While we are not supposed to link to current ebay auctions, I did take a look and would like to say that you can box and ship all of the bronze chelsea's you can find and send them to me...I will gladly pay the $90 or even the $150:o

Default Re: I'm curious - Why is this clock so expensive? (By: R. Croswell)

Quote Originally Posted by R. Croswell View Post
    This auction is still active so we are not allowed to comment for another 2 hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by inbeat View Post
    While we are not supposed to link to current ebay auctions....
    Hi, all.
    D'oh!--I was unaware of the rule, and this is due to my own ignorance.
    Please accept my apologies, and I look forward to any comments after the auction is over.
    Sorry about that.
    Thanks,
    John
    John C.

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

John, I took out the link to the auction. You can put it back after the auction ends.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: I'm curious - Why is this clock so expensive? (By: harold bain)

Thanks, Harold.

Again, my apologies for not making myself aware of the ebay rule.

The auction is now over, and I'll try to insert the link above.

Attached are some pics of my clock.

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0515.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	20837   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0518.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	20838   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0519.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	20839   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0513.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	20840   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0522.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	20841  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0525.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	107.5 KB 
ID:	20842  
    John C.

Well, I guess we only have so many minutes during which we can edit a message, and it's already too late for me to edit the original message at top. So here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=110298423715

Thanks,
    John
    John C.

It's a fairly desirable model. Not sure it's worth 4.5K..but someone felt it was. I've seen a few of the large dial shelf models bring similar money. The high bidder just bought a clock/barometer set. Maybe it was a model he's been looking for.

Here's a newer model that brought good money. http://cgi.ebay.com/COLLECTIBLE-CHEL...d=p3286.c0.m14

and on the other end, this one is old and though a house strike, a GOOD BUY..imop. http://cgi.ebay.com/Chelsea-Base-and...d=p3286.c0.m14

Chris
    Last edited by clocks4u; 10-20-2008 at 09:19 PM.
    "For one who has not lived even a single lifetime, you're a wise man, Van Helsing."

Default Re: I'm curious - Why is this clock so expensive? (By: clocks4u)

Thanks for the comments, Chris.
    Yeah, I guess these clocks are worth whatever someone's willing to pay for them!

Wow, another cha-ching, cha-ching shocker! (at least to me)
    But at least that one was in gorgeous condition and had the original box & all. Nevertheless, I would never have guessed that these would bring so much $.

I'm just flabbergasted.
    And to think: The one I ended up with had sat on the same shelf in that antique store for nearly a year (granted, it was on a low shelf and kind of pushed back a little) (but still, it's a very popular antique store with a lot of traffic)

(And I've had it for two years, so it was also before the current economic slump).

(On the other hand, the current economic slump sure didn't seem to affect the guy who paid $4500 for the one on ebay today!!)

Thanks again,
    John
    John C.

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post
    Thanks for the comments, Chris.
    Yeah, I guess these clocks are worth whatever someone's willing to pay for them!

Thanks again,
    John
    That pretty much sums it up, John. As a repairman, I get to see some really good quality clocks that wouldn't get nearly the kind of money that one got.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Blog Entries

The buyer only had 24 Ebay transactions, perhaps he just bought it on spur of the moment??
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

John

The ebay clock is a ships bell strike, looking at your movement it appears to be just time and strike. Big $$$$ difference between the two.

Default Re: I'm curious - Why is this clock so expensive? (By: jacks61fd)

Wonder if any of you have any idea what the large 10" and 12" diameter dial shelf Chelsea Ship Clocks bring?? Serious big bucks. The price on this one is tame compared to those - which are very scarce if you want one made prior to 1928.

Default Re: I'm curious - Why is this clock so expensive? (By: jacks61fd)

Quote Originally Posted by jacks61fd View Post
    John
    The ebay clock is a ships bell strike, looking at your movement it appears to be just time and strike. Big $$$$ difference between the two.
    Hi, jacks61fd.

I wondered about that as well for a moment, but then dismissed the thought. I mean, yes, he does call it a "ships bell clock" in the description, but the photo of the movement shows what appears to me to be only one gong and one hammer. Wouldn't a true ship's bell strike need an actual bell as well as two hammers to strike the bell in the correct ship's bell pattern? (I have a Seth Thomas ship's bell clock, and it has a bell plus two hammers for the striking).

The photo of his movement is very blurry, but I can see that his gong is positioned differently than mine. But other than that, and based on my very limited expertise, the two movements look mostly similar to my untrained eye.

But again, I don't have experience with these. Perhaps there is some other method by which the clock on ebay could perform a ship's bell strike with only one (visible) hammer?

Thanks,
    John
    John C.

Blog Entries

I am not sure, but I would hazard to guess there could be some significant value to the bronze (assumption) candle holders.

Recently, I visited Clements Antiques in Hixson, TN (Chattanooga). It is a truely amazing place to visit, and the prices were an eye-opener (for me anyway). Some of the clock associated statues and etc. seemed to add tremendous value.

I have a large Marti marble (slate) clock (50 + pounds in weight) with a Dumaige Bronze resting on it. The statue is many times more valuable than the clock.