Goal: $300, Received: $305.00 (102%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3078 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default "Watchmaking" by George Daniels, Price check

Hello,

I do hope this is not against the rules. I have got the oppurtunity to buy this book for the equivalent of USD.72/ GBP.42. Is this a good price? Thanks in advance for your opinion

Kind regards
    Aditya

Default Re: "Watchmaking" by George Daniels, Price check (By: fuseefan)

I seem to recall I paid about §40 for my copy of the last edition.
    Looks like new copies of his book are beginning to dry up again, Rita Shenton (where I purchased my copy) now has it listed at §65 and out-of-stock.

Quote Originally Posted by fuseefan View Post
    Hello,

I do hope this is not against the rules. I have got the oppurtunity to buy this book for the equivalent of USD.72/ GBP.42. Is this a good price? Thanks in advance for your opinion

Kind regards
    Aditya
    Seems like a fair price to me
    Fortunat Mueller-Maerki, -Chair NAWCC Library Com./ Editor & Publisher of BHM
    Mem.NAWCC Mus.Coll.Com. / VP, USA Sect. Antiq.Horolog.Soc.

Default Re: "Watchmaking" by George Daniels, Price check (By: Fortunat Mueller-Maerki)

Thank you for your opinions Gentlemen, I appreciate it!

Kind regards

Aditya

Thumbs up Re: "Watchmaking" by George Daniels, Price check (By: fuseefan)

Although I wrote this short review for Amazon.com in 1999, when the book was republished, and before the NAWCC Message Board was created, it may still be of interest.

5 out of 5 stars.

A step by step account by the most creative Watchmaker alive

Reviewed: April 2, 1999
    Reviewer: Fortunat Mueller-Maerki from Sussex, NJ United States

George Daniels, residing on the Isle of Man, (UK) is not only one of a handfull of people alive today who regularly make one-of-a-kind watches completly from strach by themselves (including dial, case, movement, hands etc), but he unquestionably is the most creative of the few who are truely "watchmakers" (rather than watch repaireres or workers in a watch factory.

The republishing of "Watchmaking", after it has been out of print for many years must be one of the outstanding events of this year in horological book publishing. Every serious watch collector around the world, who had been lusting for his own copy after seeing copies of older watchcollecting friends can now aford to buy his or her own copy, rather than pay the outrageous prices at antiquarian booksellers.[Note: in 1998 desperate watch freaks were paying $300 and more for used copies of the first edition]

The book is undoubtedly the most important volume in currently in print (was promised for Jan 1999, finally first copies delivered in April 1999)for horologists and enthusiasts about craftsman made watches anywhere.

A "must" for anybody interested in watchmaking techniques and watchmaking technology.
    Fortunat Mueller-Maerki, -Chair NAWCC Library Com./ Editor & Publisher of BHM
    Mem.NAWCC Mus.Coll.Com. / VP, USA Sect. Antiq.Horolog.Soc.

Very helpful sir !!! Thank you!

I have ordered the book. Hope nothing goes wrong.

Aditya