Month's Goal: $300, Received: $240.00 - (80%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2215 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Telechron Rotor Rebuild

Well, I just rebuilt my first B3 Telechron rotor...and although it now runs fine, the effort was not an unmitigated success.

While the rotor runs and keeps good time, it makes a low buzzing or whirring noise. More than the usual B rotor.

In the rebuild, I put new bushings on the front and back plate for the center arbor (the one with the impellers on it). I notice that this arbor seems to have "end shake" and that if it moves back toward the back of the rotor, the noise stops...when it moves toward the front the noise starts.

What did I do wrong? Any help appreciated, as I am new at this!

Default Re: Telechron Rotor Rebuild (RE: wbranko)

I've had this happen as well and have found the culprit is usually the armature buzzing in the rear plate. You mentioned that you bushed this area and you may have gotten your rear bushing for the center arbor a bit loose which will allow the shaft to vibrate in the magnetic field. This bearing needs to be pretty tight and is a closer tolerance than the rest of the bearing holes.

Another place to look is the front drive pinion bearing hole (the one on the plate not the pinion in the cap). When this hole wears it allows the little steel pinion to rub against the cover on the front plate and produce a wear spot on the cover. This is the most common wear point on these and almost always needs a bushing.

Hope that helps!

Default Re: Telechron Rotor Rebuild (RE: LaBounty)

Quote Originally Posted by LaBounty View Post
    I've had this happen as well and have found the culprit is usually the armature buzzing in the rear plate. You mentioned that you bushed this area and you may have gotten your rear bushing for the center arbor a bit loose which will allow the shaft to vibrate in the magnetic field. This bearing needs to be pretty tight and is a closer tolerance than the rest of the bearing holes.

Another place to look is the front drive pinion bearing hole (the one on the plate not the pinion in the cap). When this hole wears it allows the little steel pinion to rub against the cover on the front plate and produce a wear spot on the cover. This is the most common wear point on these and almost always needs a bushing.

Hope that helps!
    It does! Question: How do you get the drive pinion off so you can bush that hole? Thanks!

Default Re: Telechron Rotor Rebuild (RE: wbranko)

I'd like to learn how to repair these myself. Where do you get information? Is there a good book to read?
    I've wondered how to even get the case apart. Thanks!

Default Re: Telechron Rotor Rebuild (RE: bkerr)

Hey Wbranko-

The pinion can be driven off with a small flat punch and supported underneath on the plate. It isn't on very tight but driving it off will often compress the plate cover which will need to be flattened again. Removing the pinion will release the plate cover so it can be flipped over and straightened on a flat bench block with a flat punch.

And Bkerr-

Detailed instructions on how to service these can be found here-- About Time Clockmaking under "In the Can". This is a free download as are all of the articles at this site.

A DVD showing the process is available in the DVD Shop at ClockClass.com.

Hope that helps!

Default Re: Telechron Rotor Rebuild (RE: LaBounty)

Labounty,

Just wanted to say thanks. I'm going to try this tonight. Now all I have to do is peen off that epoxy cement I sealed the rotor can with! I should know better...don't seal it until you are sure you got it right! Duh!

Thanks again for the great help!