Month's Goal: $300, Received: $0 - (0%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2196 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Seth Thomas and sons statue clock

Hello,I am new here.I have recently bought a seth thomas and sons statue clock.I find it odd,it's a very fine clock although the statue is of 2 subjects,Mother mary and Little Jesus,odd being that,and please correct me if I am wrong,usualy the subjects of statue clocks are something almost pagan or other subject matter,whereas this has a serious religious motif,first time I ever saw one with religious statues.

The casing,statues and movement all seem to have a french look to them.the movement marked seth thomas and sons.There is one realy odd thing about the strike.It's a reular time and strike on a bell,all strike hours have an even spacing between them,except for 3 o' clock.There is an obvious hesitation or spacing between the first strike and the last 2 strikes,ding.............ding,ding.

I have entertained the thought that possibly this clock was made for a religious person or institution who didn't want a pagan or hedonistic statue,and that the three o'clock strike is deliberate because,in the catholic religion,3 o'clock in the morning is said to be chosen as the demonic hour,where demons come out to reak havoc or posses.

It is also said to be a mocking of the holy trinity,father son and holy ghost,as well as a acknowledgment of the diabolical trinity,satan his son and something else I can't bring to mind right now.So ,therefore, my lay theory is that this hesitation between the three strikes at 3 o'clock is deliberate as a counter against demons.Does that sound crazy?

Default Re: Seth Thomas and sons statue clock (RE: codeyellow)

Yep....It should strike like all other Seth and Sons clocks with that movement.
    The model you have is most likely listed as #8015.
    Seth and Son's also had one called Rebecca at the Well which seems religious and also one with an Angel.
    Your clock is a normal Seth and Son's clock and should strike normally.

Default Re: Seth Thomas and sons statue clock (RE: inbeat)

I agree with Inbeat. If there is a hesitation as you describe at 3:00, it is not a manufacturer-intended counter against demons, but more than likely signifies some minor adjustment in the strike is needed to allow for even spacing of the separate strikes.

Default Re: Seth Thomas and sons statue clock (RE: Steven Thornberry)

Seth Thomas & Son was a subsidiary company to Seth Thomas Clocks with very fine movements made to compete with those found in French clocks. The quality is usually very good but sometimes fiddley to work on.

Specop

Default Re: Seth Thomas and sons statue clock (RE: specop)

Hello,sorry to get back so late.I know rebeca at the well,this is obviously Mary and Jesus(jesus is holding his right hand up in that 2 finger closed peace sign position).No angel either,and cherubs don't count because you see them all the time and are niether hedonistic or religious,they are mythical.

I am going to take pics of this clock later on tonight and try to post it,as well as the movement in wich I discovered how that is happening by a series of pins that activate the strike hammer,but at 3,they are divided and it doesn't look like damage or a pin bent out of place,it looks deliberate.

Also,I have entertained the idea that since the clock has sch a serious reliigious motif,it may have been custom made at the request of a very religious person,as well as the 3 o'clock strike possibly custom ordered that way.

Anything is possibly, though some things are less likely than others. In any event, I fail to see how the hesitation you describe would deter a persistent and business-like demon from the discharge of his (or her?) duties.

OK,just bear with me for a sec and hmor me as well,3 o'clock is held as the demonic hour by the catholic religion and maybe others,I don't know.the separation between the strikes seperates satan the father from his son and whomever else,a unit that when separated cannot perform their dirty deeds.

The devil and his son and something else are recognized as the diabolical trinity.That is why the hesitation is there,to foil the demonic hour by seperating satan from the rest of the diabolical trinity.

Quote Originally Posted by codeyellow View Post
    OK,just bear with me for a sec and hmor me as well,3 o'clock is held as the demonic hour by the catholic religion and maybe others,I don't know.the separation between the strikes seperates satan the father from his son and whomever else,a unit that when separated cannot perform their dirty deeds.

The devil and his son and something else are recognized as the diabolical trinity.That is why the hesitation is there,to foil the demonic hour by seperating satan from the rest of the diabolical trinity.
    Rather than attempt to hex the unholy trinity, why not invoke the power and assistance of the Holy Trinity? At the ten o'clock strike, thus:

123 (delay) 123 (delay) 123 delay 1

3 times the Trinity plus one to indicate the unity of God.

P.s. I have no more to add - I've exhausted my horological theology.

Quote Originally Posted by codeyellow View Post
    Also,I have entertained the idea that since the clock has sch a serious reliigious motif,it may have been custom made at the request of a very religious person,as well as the 3 o'clock strike possibly custom ordered that way.
    Code Yellow,
    As I stated before, your clock, if it is one I am talking about is listed in the Seth books as a # 8015 so it is a factory made clock, not custom made. Without scanning the picture or seeing a picture of your clock, the one I am talking about has a woman with a shawl on top of her head sitting, with a child in a gown beside her standing...with one hand, his right, outright or upright.

Also, there is a Seth and Son's clock with an angel. # 8011..the right hand upward with a single finger pointing up. There is also a child on that clock and the angel's left hand rests on his shoulder.

Both of these have a 15 day movement.

While the hesitant striking makes a good story, it is unlikely it was meant to be that way.

Default Re: Seth Thomas and sons statue clock (RE: inbeat)

Hello,you are right,it is the one with the woman in shawl and child,thanks so much for info,but it is without question mary and very young jesus,as far as the strike,when I got the clock the movement was in good condition,clean enough but gummy and the strike side was stiff so I cleaned whatever gunk out of the pivot holes and around the rest of the movement and gave it fresh oil.

It ran fine and in good beat but 3 o'clock had that hesitation,up till last night,now it strikes normaly like the rest of the hours.And so ends my mysterious"demon thwarting" strike.Thanks for help in ID.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven T View Post
    Rather than attempt to hex the unholy trinity, why not invoke the power and assistance of the Holy Trinity? At the ten o'clock strike, thus:

123 (delay) 123 (delay) 123 delay 1

3 times the Trinity plus one to indicate the unity of God.

P.s. I have no more to add - I've exhausted my horological theology.
    You can't at that time because 3 am is designated as the demonic hour.Havent you ever seen the amityville horor or the exorcism of emily rose( you may want to catch up on these things

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Maybe your clock just needed some exhorcise
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: Seth Thomas and sons statue clock (RE: harold bain)

Quote Originally Posted by harold bain View Post
    Maybe your clock just needed some exhorcise
    Harold - that's terrible! I love it!

Hello agin,no,with the rising costs of an exorcism these days(must have something to do with gas prices) I aborted that idea,so I gave it a little fresh oil(blessed of course),and now it works fine.Although,it did spit some green pea soup at me