Goal: $300, Received: $30.00 (10%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 5239 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default ST Strikes Too Fast

I've recently gotten my Seth Thomas weight driven column clock up and running. It is a Plymouth Hollow era clock and runs well with the standard 3lb. weights. One thing I've noticed though is that it strikes very fast. I looked over the fan and it appears to be the correct size for the movement. Since it is weight driven, I have to think it isn't being over driven. The only thing I can think of is that I might need to increase the spring tension on the hammer. Is this a reasonable approach?

Take a look at the before/after photos. It's coming along well.

http://www24.brinkster.com/justtom/STColumn.htm

Thanks
    Tom T

Default ST Strikes Too Fast (By: TomT)

I've recently gotten my Seth Thomas weight driven column clock up and running. It is a Plymouth Hollow era clock and runs well with the standard 3lb. weights. One thing I've noticed though is that it strikes very fast. I looked over the fan and it appears to be the correct size for the movement. Since it is weight driven, I have to think it isn't being over driven. The only thing I can think of is that I might need to increase the spring tension on the hammer. Is this a reasonable approach?

Take a look at the before/after photos. It's coming along well.

http://www24.brinkster.com/justtom/STColumn.htm

Thanks
    Tom T

Tom, I have a Waterbury Ogee clock and the strike was also very fast. I had to replace the tension spring the tighened the fan on the shaft.
    Look at the middle of the fan and see if the tension spring or pin is missing? It sounds like the shaft is turning inside of the fan.
    Bob

bil2054

Lovely job, Tom!

Bill Miller
    NAWCC Member #157710
    Bill's web page

Bob, the fan spring is in place, but I need to mark the shaft and fan and check for slippage. Thanks for the suggesiton.

Phil and Bill, thanks for the compliments. I figure folks on this forum make a pretty good test of your work.

Oh yes, I had to replace veneer. The entire lower section had to be replaced. I had to build a "S" shaped wooden press to hold the veneer in place against the curves of the moulding. I first had to boil the veneer to soften it, then gradually press it into place and let it "cure". Then I had to glue and press again. A lot of work, but it came out well.

and yes, that's gold leaf. The case was in such poor shape and so loose that I totally disassembled it in the end. Since I had the columns in hand, I tried the faux tortise shell/burl finish on the columns then just had to re-apply the gold.

All in all, the clock involved a great deal of research and learning. The dial is an original that I did the repaint on. Getting the time track painted is a whole "nuther" story.

Glad the clock is up to standard. Now I need to find the proper lower tablet.........

Regard,
    Tom T

Your work on the case is "Awesome"!! Very nice work indeed.

Chick Curry

Thanks for the compliment Chick. I am learning a lot in these restorations. I never knew the number of different skills that went into building and completing one of these.

The wood finishing, faux tortise shell and guilding are all skills that took the original makers some time to perfect.

There were a lot of artist back in the original plants.

Regards,
    Tom T