Month's Goal: $300, Received: $350.00 - (117%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2059 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    Registered user.

Default Dial Refinishing by hand

I always do this if my customer could not afford the high price of machine printed dials and if the watch is not worth to spend costly repairs. Just an improvised speed ball, ink, acrylic spray, gold and silver plating chemicals and the most important the microscope. Here are the pictures of a Seiko 5606 caliber before and after the repair and dial refinishing. My customer is an old man and that was his first watch. He gave me his budget for his watch for repair but if more than that he would just throw it, he said. I have this feeling that I want to make the old man happy and told him that I will fix his watch completely but pay only the cleaning fee. We agreed and he's very happy! The job composed of glass replacement, dial refinishing, cleaning and oiling, auto parts replaced, timing,and buffing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sk5606dialbefore.jpg   sk5606dialafter.jpg   sk5606finishedjob.jpg  

Blog Entries

Default Re: Dial Refinishing by hand (RE: le arsi)

Le Arsi nice job on the dial, looks great to me. What is your fee for clean and oil a mechanical watch? Just curious as you are in another part of the world.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Registered user.

I usually charge my customer here around $5.50 for cleaning and oiling (ordinary watch movement) and that's include buffing and polishing of glass. I have different pricing when it comes to high-end watches.

Blog Entries

Thanks Le Arsi that is interesting. I wonder what is the average wage in your country, as services must get paid by what there are for incomes. Around here i think about 100 to 150 in a watch shop. But some people will do it for less at their homes.

Registered user.

Our minimum wage here is low and it has been the reason of many demonstrations here addressing our government. Our economy is not doing well and I think I am the product of the situation. Because of poverty and lack of financial help during my early days in watch repairing it leads me to discover and make some improvised tools which I think become a big help to all my students who are now working as watch repair technicians here and abroad. By the way Kevin, I have my former students named Ramon Nava and his two sons who worked in Tag Heuer Service Center in Ontario Canada. I don't have any communication with him anymore and not sure if he's still in Tag. Maybe your place is near with him and by any chance could meet him. Thank you.

Blog Entries

Le Arsi i will have to have a look and see where the Tag Huer centre is, Ontario is a pretty big province.

Blog Entries

Le Arsi i found where the Tag centre is, TAG HEUER CANADA. 160 Bloor Street East, 10th Floor. Toronto, Ontario ...
    I live about 5 hours from Toronto.

Registered user.

Thanks Kevin, your province is really big. Thank you for the effort. I just checked my records and I have also one former student who's presently employed at Omega Service Center in Montreal and he's using my tools on quartz watch repair.

Thank you again.

Le Arsi