Month's Goal: $300, Received: $350.00 - (117%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2065 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Watch oils and Mainspring Grease

Thanks for the info on Anchor oils (from a previous post). I use Moebius. I work mainly on pocket watches and would like to know what is the preferred mainspring grease? Also, what is the best way to apply it? I have heard some put a few small dollops of grease in the barrel and allow it to spread, but I disagree with this process due to the possibility of it not spreading evenly throughout the mainspring. Not knowing of a better way to apply grease as evenly as possible, I unwind the mainspring and I apply it with my fingers. I then rewind the mainspring and put it in the barrel. Is this a no-no? And if so, is there a better way to apply it?
    Supplying the world with Vintage American Pocket Watch Jewels.
    http://qbstuff.com/AmWatchJewels.html

Default Re: Watch oils and Mainspring Grease (RE: Quinton Bradford)

Hi Quinton,

I don't use my fingers but pinch a folded piece of waxpaper, or plastic, that has been greased with Moebius 8200. Effectively greases both sides of the spring.

I also dab a small amount on the mainspring barrel floor in two places and a bit on the barrel walls, in four places.

The way I do it is basically the same way as explained; do both sides of the M.S while it is out of the barrel, using a piece of paper towel impregnated with M.S. grease.

leghorn

When working with mainsprings it's very important not to touch them with your fingers. The method that I was taught in school was to insert the mainspring and then apply a drop of grease on the barrel bottom next to the spring and a couple of drops on the top of the spring. You'll find with Moebius 8200 that it is very fluid and it will flow into the mainspring. If you went to lubricate the mainspring before inserting it the recommendation is to apply the lubrication to a piece of folded paper held with tweezers.

John

I concur with John's method except I put three generous drops on the barrel bottom before MS insertion, and then 3 moderate drops atop the spring after insertion. I use the same methods on smaller clocks (with more oil) and have never had an issue. I verified this method on an 18s by winding and unwinding the watch 5 times after cleaning and then reopening the barrel. I found the coils to be properly and thoroughy lubricated...

Regards,
    Bryan

Thank you all for your input! No more touching the MS with my fingers!
    Supplying the world with Vintage American Pocket Watch Jewels.
    http://qbstuff.com/AmWatchJewels.html