Month's Goal: $300, Received: $180.00 - (60%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2342 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    Registered user.

Default Lemuel Curtis Banjo Clock

Hello Board Members,
    I purchased this banjo clock at my local flea market. Dial is signed, Lemuel Curtis 1810.. I can not find any infomation any earlier on Curtis than 1814 other than he apprenticed under Simon Willard. I am trying to find out if this may be one of his first clocks, pre dating his Curtis + Dunning partnership which I believe ran from 1816-1839. I found only one picture of a banjo clock that was not one of his Giltwood Presention clocks and that is in the NAWCC clock museum. The clock looks to be all original except the brass weight cable and possiby the weight pully. The finale looks to be a little suspicious, but very old. there are some replaced screws on the throat, not unusual for a clock that is 200 years old. One small solder repair on the winding arbor, not sure if it was a bushing repair or not. Other than that all looks like it was 200 years ago.
    I hope one of you fine gentleman might have a little information on mister Curtis or where I might be able to look for some. I have many, many clocks, but not one like this, a little bit of really cool history I think.
    I hope my pictures post!!!!!!!
    Thank you for any help, and I have found so much on this forum....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN1797.JPG   DSCN1798.JPG   DSCN1799.JPG   DSCN1800.JPG   DSCN1801.JPG  

Default Re: Lemuel Curtis Banjo Clock (RE: Conrad)

That's a very nice looking banjo clock.

Nice clock Conrad!!! If you ever get tired of looking at it I would love to own it. Seriously!
    That style is probably nearer to 1830-1835. The 1810 is probably a serial number. There is a Dunning clock pictured in Paul Foley's fine book "Willard's Patent Timpieces" on page 105 that depicts a very simular clock. In fact the base construction is identicle to yours. There is another one with this base on page 108. By the way, please throw away the finial. That is a beautiful clock! Paul
    PS. Just joking about the finial though I feel it is definately not original.
    [edit=954=1216512378][/edit]

Registered user.

Thanx for the reply. might you know where could find Paul Foley's book.
    Conrad

Hi, I would think the NAWCC store should have them. You can also check on Amazon.com Google his name. Paul

Hi conrad, I just checked and the NAWCC Lending Library has (4) copies. I would imagine they also have it in the store. Paul

Registered user.

Thanx Paul.. Quick question, The 1810 (date??) is on the clock dial right under the Curtis signature which made me think it was the date, I will post a better picture of the dial tomorrow, the batteries in my camera are shot and I will get some sunday when I go food shopping, with the price of gas I try to combine all my trips at one time. By the way both of the hands are on the clock they are just on top of each other and that little line you see on the dial is not an extra hand, looks like it though, it's a small scratch.
    Conrad

I look forward to the new pics. I am certain the 1810 is not a date. It is likely the serial number of the clock. Many Willard School clockmakers put serial numbers on the dial. Aaron Willard Sr was Lemuel's uncle. Paul

By the way, he was still in his apprenticeship in 1810.
    [edit=954=1216518197][/edit]

Conrad, that is a wonderful and rare clock. If you should decide to sell it
    I'd be very interested and would pay a great deal for it. Please contact
    me off list at: Joeydeluxed@comcast.net

thanks,
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad
    Hello Board Members,
    I purchased this banjo clock at my local flea market. Dial is signed, Lemuel Curtis 1810.. I can not find any infomation any earlier on Curtis than 1814 other than he apprenticed under Simon Willard. I am trying to find out if this may be one of his first clocks, pre dating his Curtis + Dunning partnership which I believe ran from 1816-1839. I found only one picture of a banjo clock that was not one of his Giltwood Presention clocks and that is in the NAWCC clock museum. The clock looks to be all original except the brass weight cable and possiby the weight pully. The finale looks to be a little suspicious, but very old. there are some replaced screws on the throat, not unusual for a clock that is 200 years old. One small solder repair on the winding arbor, not sure if it was a bushing repair or not. Other than that all looks like it was 200 years ago.
    I hope one of you fine gentleman might have a little information on mister Curtis or where I might be able to look for some. I have many, many clocks, but not one like this, a little bit of really cool history I think.
    I hope my pictures post!!!!!!!
    Thank you for any help, and I have found so much on this forum....

What a great find!!! A rare clock like that at a Flea Market is also rare. You should go to Las Vegas soon. Congratulations.
    Bob

Registered user.

More Pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hh 187.jpg   hh 188.jpg   hh 189.jpg   hh 194.jpg  

Conrad, you have a very pretty clock there.

I'm not an expert on Curtis clocks but I am always eager to learn. I noticed what appears to be a label attached to the back of the pendulum box door. Can you please tell us what is on the label? Could it be an old repair label? Thanks.

Michael

Hi Conrad,
    You have found a rare clock, nice going! It would date from much later than 1810, probably more like 1830-35, after Curtis moved to Vermont. The signature looks restored or added. An original signature would be much more delicate and finely executed than this one. Even with a restored or added signature, it is still a super clock. The style indicates that it is certainly a J.N. Dunning or Curtis & Dunning type clock. I would really like to see higher resolution images if you would send them to me. I would also like to hear what your plans are for the clock. My email is Gary @ garyrsullivanantiques.com