Month's Goal: $300, Received: $235.00 - (78%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 888 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Seth Thomas 124 Movement Problem

I recently took appart and cleaned a Seth Thomas 124 Movement. I re-assembled the movement, and the time trian worked great. Unfortunaltely I should have paid more attention to Steve Conover's instructions and I would have adjusted the chime train before I mounted the spring box.
    I had to let down the springs again, and readjust the gears to get the chimes synchronized properly. When I re assembled again, The time train works for about two hours and then stops. I don't undertand what happened; I did'nt move or adjust the escapement.
    Any ideas on what may have gone wrong?
    This is a tough movement to work on. I hope I can get the problem resolved, I put a lot of work into it. I would never be able to make a living repairing clocks. Good thing it is only a hobbie.
    Robert

Default Re: Seth Thomas 124 Movement Problem (RE: finiteguy)

We need to know exactly how long it runs before it stops, and whether the problem is always the same time frame. I can't remember if the 124 is a count wheel or rack and snail. Can you post some pictures?
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

This is the ST 124. I thought the biggest problem was the chime self-correct adjustment.

Best,

Richard T.
    Best,
    Richard T.

Message board is really slow.....try the pcitures again.

Richard t.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ST124a..jpg  
    Best,
    Richard T.

Try a couple of more.........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ST124c..jpg  
    Best,
    Richard T.

another.........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ST124b..jpg   ST124d..jpg  
    Best,
    Richard T.

Just a thought that will aid you IMMENSELY today and in the future:
    train works for about two hours and then stops. I don't undertand what happened; I did'nt move or adjust the escapement.
    Despite many opposing opinions, "GAWD" did not adjust the escapement.
    In other words - and I understand your position on the learning curve - never assume the escapement is adjusted correctly as you received it.
    STUDY escapement operation and understand it because when a clock stops, that's where you should always look for a problem. For me it's the first place I look. You'll adopt your own procedures but one of them will ALWAYS be - the escapement.
    When it is running - is the pendulum movement robust and lively?

Bob,#124's can be a real pain to work on.I believe a lot of the fellas who post on here can attest to that so don't get too upset about it.
    One thing I would recommend to you is to make sure you have replaced those two washers that go on the lower pillars underneath the mainspring plate.These washers level out the lower plate so the great wheel will be parallel with the 2nd wheel and not engaging it at an angle which will unfortunately cause your clock to jam in that area and cease to run.Those washers do have a nasty habit of disappearing when you dismantle your movement.I can't say for sure this is your problem but I thought I would mention it to you in the event it may be of some help to you.
    Respectfully,
    Bob Fullerton

Hi Bob,

Good point. I had almost forgotten those two washers. They are on the piece of spring wire at about 3 o'clock in picture no. 2.

Best,

Richard T.
    Best,
    Richard T.

Robert

I'm about to start one of these myself.

Did you take the hammer assembly apart for cleaning? That alone may have no bearing on your problem, but that assembly needs disassembly to be properly cleaned.

Let's look at your problem. The time train worked great until you had to disassemble a second time. The assumption here is that made some changes in the chime train, so there is where I would look for your problem.

I dont think that your problem is in the time train or escapement. If it were, the clock would not run for two hours.

It seems to me that the problem occurs when the self correcting mechanism comes into play. I would suggest that you re-read Conovers instructions for setting the chime train and see if you might have missed something.

I once made the mistake of setting the self correction to occur on the first quarter, since the first four notes dropping off indicated a correct chime sequence. It took me a while to figure out that the chime sequence had nothing to do with the self correction feature.

The last time that I did one of these, I did each train, one at a time. I did repairs to the time train, installed the time mainspring and tested that train alone for two weeks. If the clock wont run, chime and strike functions dont matter.

Then I did the chime train, installing the chime mainspring. Now I had a time and chime movement, which I ran for two weeks. Finally, I did the strike train. A lot more work, but the mainspring assembly is easy to remove and if I had a problem I knew that it had to be in the last step that I had taken. When I was finished, I knew that I had a dependable working movement.

It also helps at reassembly, to separate all the parts into five containers: time, chime, strike, between the plates, outside the plates. Forgetting any that go between the plates when you have the movement completly assembled, really makes the heart sink.

[edit=741=1216126192][/edit]

Again - where it stops is significant. Always the same place? Different places?
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

That's a good point. I didn't find these washers therefore they are missing. I didn't realize that there were washers. I'll bet that is part of the problem.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Bob,#124's can be a real pain to work on.I believe a lot of the fellas who post on here can attest to that so don't get too upset about it.
    One thing I would recommend to you is to make sure you have replaced those two washers that go on the lower pillars underneath the mainspring plate.These washers level out the lower plate so the great wheel will be parallel with the 2nd wheel and not engaging it at an angle which will unfortunately cause your clock to jam in that area and cease to run.Those washers do have a nasty habit of disappearing when you dismantle your movement.I can't say for sure this is your problem but I thought I would mention it to you in the event it may be of some help to you.
    Respectfully,
    Bob Fullerton

You must have had the washers in place if the movement was running before the second disassembly.

Thanks for suggesting those pillar washers. I just took a look at my movement and discovered that the washers were missing and the spring box plate was flexing and bent due to the out of plane deflection. Looks like that sort of problem would tend to bind or create excessive friction in all of the trains. I backed off the screws to relieve the deformation and restarted the movement. We'll see how it goes. Meanwhile I'll have o find some washers. The were actually missing because I can't find them in the box that the movement came in. This is one of those flee market deals where you get the case plus the movement partially assembled with missing parts. I got other parts from an ebay purchase. I guess you call this a Frankenstein clock?
    Thanks for the info. When I get a chance I'll post some pictures.
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Len
    You must have had the washers in place if the movement was running before the second disassembly.

I think that the pillar screw were loose and didn't bind the drive gears.