Month's Goal: $300, Received: $235.00 - (78%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2332 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Le Roy Pocket Watch? Which one ?

Hallo All,

My name is Matthew and I am new to this Message Board. I am hoping you can all help with my latest pocket watch purchase.

The time piece face shows Le Roy and the movement is marked with the following:
    1. Serial Number
    2. "A Paris"
    3. "Furet" - Still trying to figure out what this means...

There are no markings on the movement showing Le Roy so i am trying to determine its date and estimated value so that i can know if i paid to much.

Really hope you can all help.

Look forward to hearing from you.

regards,

Matt Harris

Default Re: Le Roy Pocket Watch? Which one ? (RE: matthewdavisharris)

Matt, I suggest you post some photos.

Michael

HI guys

Sorry but i did post pics and something went wrong.
    Maybe this time...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_9539.JPG  

More pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_9540.jpg   IMG_9541.jpg   IMG_9542.jpg   IMG_9543.jpg   IMG_9544.jpg  

IMG_9546.jpg  

Matthew, based on the appearance of the movement, I would say the watch is from around 1790-1800. Unfortunately, the photos are a bit small - blame it on the MB. I can't really confirm the signatures but at least you can. "Furet" can mean ferret or pipe cleaner in French.... and it can also be the surname of a person.

In this case, I suspect you read one name off the dial and quite a different name off the rear plate, if you know what I mean. The "PL" on the case back is likely the monogramme of the owner.

As for a value, the MB rules preclude valuation.

Michael
    [edit=3032=1215617160][/edit]

Michael,

Thats great help. Thanks. I have been doing the whole google thing for "Le Roy" and have noted that they family was very big in Europe and was the watchmaker for very influential people.
    I also found out that there are a lot of "Le Roy" working at that time so I am not sure if the watch is from Julian Le Roy / Pierre Le Roy or some other Le Roy.

You are right on the "Furet" shown on the movement. I havent found much on this but it does interest me so I hope someone out there can further assist.

Thanks again for the information. I really am happy to own this piece.

Regards,

Matt

Matt, it looks like a nice watch.

However, you must be new to watches. The name on the movement indicates the watchmaker. The dial may be a replacement. I would not base an ID on the dial.

The Furet who made your watch was probably Jean Baptiste André Furet, 1743-89. He also made watches for the king.

If you plan to collect or buy old clocks and watches I would recommend you get hold of a copy of Brian Loomes's "Watchmakers and Clockmakers of the World". There are older editions as well as the latest, very much enhanced, "21st Century Edition".

Michael

Michael,

Cheers for that. You saw straight through me. I have been collecting for about a year now and to be quite honest have not put enough time and effort in my fascination with these time pieces.
    I will definitely look into Jean the recommended book.

Ive got a lot to learn but you have to start somewhere right.

Jean Baptiste André Furet...thats great thanks!

Registered user.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewdavisharris
    More pics
    I, for one, found the shape of the "keyhole"
    in the dust cover somewhat unexpected and
    amusing.

Is this a 'feature' in other known watches?

Quote Originally Posted by LloydB
    Quote Originally Posted by matthewdavisharris
    More pics
    I, for one, found the shape of the "keyhole"
    in the dust cover somewhat unexpected and
    amusing.

Is this a 'feature' in other known watches?
    Yes, I'm a bit puzzled by that as well. I don't have the depth of knowledge to explain it but now that you mention it here's what I think *may be* a plausible reason.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong but the case, like the dial, may not belong with the movement. This style of French movement is wound from the dial so there is no need for any holes at the back for winding. Ditto for adjusting the hands, that is done by placing a key over the centre arbor to move the minute hand.

I suspect the hole was cut to make clearance for the upper metal potence of the balance staff. And I believe since there is no reason to adjust the potence with the cuvette closed, the "keyhole" was cut to match the shape of the potence so that the cuvette will clear the potence when it is closed. I believe the potence is held in place with a screw at the very top and this would further raise the height of the movement.

I suspect the case was made for the more slender bar (or bridged) type of movement, which was a later development to the fully-plated style of this watch.

Michael
    [edit=3032=1215649989][/edit]

Hi guys,

Just a quick on eon the Keyhole discussion.
    I am not sure if it was done by all watchmakers in those days but during my search in the past few days.
    (When i thought the watch was made by Le Roy) I cam across a few images of other watches made by le Roy which had the same Keyhole presence.

I have attached the link for you to take a look.

Hope this helps.

http://www.antique-watch.com/des/w6397.html

Hi guys,

Just a quick on eon the Keyhole discussion.
    I am not sure if it was done by all watchmakers in those days but during my search in the past few days.
    (When i thought the watch was made by Le Roy) I cam across a few images of other watches made by le Roy which had the same Keyhole presence.

I have attached the link for you to take a look.

Hope this helps.

www.antique-watch.com/des/w6397.html