Month's Goal: $300, Received: $235.00 - (78%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2320 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Frontenac Wrist Watch - Help.

I am wondering if you or your association would be able to assist me in identifying a wrist watch that I recently purchased.. I am enclosing a picture below of the unusual design..

Some additional notes :-

1) Second hand is a smooth sweep similar to Rolex.

2) Hand wound (full wind last approx 48hrs)

3) No separate date adjustment.. must wind through 24hrs to change date

I believe Frontenac was/is a swiss watch maker..

As you can see this is a very usual design with just a second hand that sweeps.. no minute or hour hand/s

Would you have any information on this wrist watch or know where I maybe able to gather some history on this design.

Yours sincerely,

Paul.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Frontenac.jpg  

Default Re: Frontenac Wrist Watch - Help. (RE: pturnbul)

Hi,
    this watch is probably produced in the 60's. There is nothing unusual about the mechanism. Even though there are not hour and minute hands the discs for their display are turning in the same exact way. I am not familiar with the name of the company but even after 32 years in the watch business this is not unusual either. There are many names on watches that were only used for a short time and then disappeared into oblivion. It is a nice example of a 60's direct read display. It does have a little "Retro" cache in today's fashion world but it has no extreme collectable value. Direct read watches can make an interesting collection however. They can be extremely sophisticated such as very nice, high grade "jump hour" models or just an inexpensive model that you may not have in your collection. The Elgin watch company made a few models that use this type of display and have been driving watchmakers crazy for 50 or 60 years . Keep on collecting! And please think about joining the NAWCC. There are a great many benifits that will help you along in your quest of interesting timepieces.
    Regards, Richard