Month's Goal: $300, Received: $0 - (0%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2318 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default 14k white gold Illinois pocket watch

Found this watch today and when I opened it found these marks and wondered are they right? Also wondering what model it is and when It is working great and has the marks of Star watch case co 14k 585/1000 fine.And the serial number on the case of 1241866 the works are marked as Illinois watch springfield,21 jewel 5287318 and also says Adjusted 3 positions (what does that mean?) and info or insight appreciated
    thanks

As you know I lost my job a while back so I may look to sell this one .Need the money
    thanks for ANY help
    greatly appreciated

Default Re: 14k white gold Illinois pocket watch (RE: jcmjr)

I think what you have there is a 12s, 21j,on1p,T3PI, Gr. 279. ( 1929-1930)

leghorn

From the case hallmark, I am reasonably certain that your case is solid 14k gold.

Nice watch and looks to be in good shape.

Tom

I know allot of these have a name,does this one have an exact name with the case combo and how many were made of these,This is the first I have seen
    any other info appreciated

Yes I confirmed the hallmark in my watch book.But no mention or way to determine the name
    thanks
    and yes the crystal is virtually mark free.Only marks seen with a glass
    Has ran perfect and kept great time for 11 hours now

I know that an appraisal would not be allowed but would you say it has some value? and ballpark
    thanks

Your watch is a grade 279 made in 1929, the grade is made up of movements with,
    Illinois Watch Co. - Illinois Watch - The Congressional - The Governor –
    Illinois Central - Santa Fe Special - Time King – Aristocrat – Winner - Bunn Special and Victor on the movements.
    Its difficult to say exactly how many were made as the grade went on to be called grade 121. The first 3 runs of grade 121 were not marked with 121 on the movements and could be assumed to be grade 279.
    So it could be 16,000 movements or if you include the unmarked 121’s the count would be 17,000.

Jim Carroll
    Jim Carroll

If I am correctly interpreting what is written in front of me, then there where 14,000 "279" grade movements made.

leghorn

Quote Originally Posted by jcmjr
    ... and also says Adjusted 3 positions (what does that mean?)
    That means the watch was adjusted at the factory to keep time in three positions, dial up, dial down, and stem up, within a certain tolerance. Railroad grade watches had to be adjusted to 5 positions (adding 9 up & 3 up), or 6 positions (6 up). 12 size watches like this couldn't be used in RR service, but the very best 12 size would be adjusted to RR standards. 3 positions is more than enough for normal use however, and this is a great watch.

By the way, it looks to me as if the center wheel in your picture is gold. Russ Snyder's database doesn't say it should be, but some of his pics also look like gold center wheels.
    [edit=1754=1214530370][/edit]
    Norman Bliss

Yes the center wheel is gold,I was also told that some of these were actualy gold (not plated)on the works I do not know if that is the case on mine but all the info has been very interesting.You speak of Russ Snyder's database where is that I have not found that yet. It would be interesting.Is there perhaps a database or online resource for star cases? and Back to Jim carrols post about the grade or movt type. Are you saying that this movt was used for all those names or just stating the different types.
    thanks and looking forward to more input. As said this is a very nice watch. And just how rare would this type with gold case be?
    thanks again

jcmjr:

[colour=blue]Russell W Snyder's Illinois Data Base CD[/colour] may be obtained by an email to Jon Hanson at jonontime@aol.com

Good luck,
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Just a closer look, Under the balance it is engraved "Double roller" is this unique and what exactly are they refering too.
    thanks

Also is this the thin model or extra thin?

I was just giving a breakdown of some of the names on the 299 grade movements, the Illinois Watch Co. used many names on there watches some ask by companies or private individuals, although most as a sales gimmick to sell watches. Some are just named the Illinois Watch Co. or like yours have Illinois Watch because when the Hamilton Watch Co. bought over the company it dropped the Co. from the name on the movements.
    Jim Carroll