Month's Goal: $300, Received: $305.00 - (102%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2309 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default When is a pic "too big to upload"?

What makes a picture too big to upload? Click Here to see my current problem. The offending pic had a bitcount no larger than the non-offending pics, so what was the matter with it?

ALSO, it would be nice if there were a way to avoid the multiple-pictures problem: either allow them to be edited out, or (better) have the software check the size of ALL attachments before uploading ANY of them, so size problems can be cured before action is taken.

bangster
    1. Check out the REPAIR HINTS & HOW-TO's forum! Click Here.

Blog Entries

Default Re: When is a pic (RE: bangster)

What if Bang you used less pictures per posting and try to spread them out a bit.Just a thought.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Huh? I only had three pictures. How would your suggestion help?

cannot quite figure out your issue... but here is a primer... even though it appears you know how to post the image....

http://www.nawcc-mb.com/bbv2/bbBoard...=1;gtid=230388

jeff stated there 450 pixels wide... but did not list a max file size.

do you know how to obtain image properties on your computer?

Chapter 17 North Carolina
    http://www.nawcc-carolina17.org/default.htm
    Chapter 149 Early American Watch Club .. Home of Russ Snyder Illinois CD database and Henry Burgell Serial number Look-up ... excellent research resources!
    http://www.nawcc-ch149.com/ http://www.nawcc-ch149.com/pw_dbresearch.html
    Chapter 149 Mentor List http://www.nawcc-ch149.com/mentor.html

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

When this board started, I had to go to the user area to edit for size, or it wouldn't upload them. Now it seems to no longer require sizing. Something was changed along the way, as I never need to edit them for about the last year or so. It would be helpful if the pictures (with multiple picture files) were put onto the SECOND post, so they don't show up on every page of a long thread.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Harold: You're right; I shoulda put them in the second post. Slow learner.
    Terry: Let me describe exactly what happened. I wrote the post, set the "Attach a file" button, and hit Go. The window came up allowing me to get url's (links) to my pics. The pics were already processed on my hd, waiting to go. Average size each of the 4 was around 470 kb.

I browsed & selected the pic of the movement. That's in slot #1.
    I browsed & selected the pic of the side view. That's in slot #2. NOT the largest (bytecount) file.
    I browsed & selected the pic of the back view. That's in slot #3
    I browsed & selected the pic of the front view. That's in slot #4
    I hit the "Download" button.

After a short while, new window came up with this message: "One of your files is too large to download. Please resize it and try again. File: side view".

I hit the Back button to get back to the previous window. Went into PhotoShop and reduced the resolution of the pic from 120 to 72. Now it's much smaller than the other three. Back to the selection window, I deleted the url from slot #2 and selected the now-reduced file. I hit the "Download" button.

After a short while, new window came up with this message: "One of your files is too large to download. Please resize it and try again. File: side view".

Are we detecting a pattern here?

I hit the Back button to get back to the previous window. Went into PhotoShop and reduced the resolution of the pic from 72 to 48. Now it's much smaller than the other three. Back to the selection window, I deleted the url from slot #2 and selected the now-more-reduced file. I hit the "Download" button.

I hit the Back button to get back to the previous window. Went into PhotoShop and reduced the SIZE of the pic--not the bytecount but the pixel count. Now it's MUCH smaller than the other three, in both ways. Back to the selection window, I deleted the url from slot #2 and selected the now-much-reduced file. I hit the "Download" button.

The download then proceeded normally. I was then taken to the posting, and Behold! each time I had hit the "Download" button, it had dutifully downloaded pics 1, 3, and 4;and THEN told me "can't download 2; shrink it and try again". Each time I shrunk the file and tried again, it re-downloaded the ones it already had.

Thus, my post ended up with multiple copies of pics 1,3, and 4, and ONE copy of pic 2.
    And there's no way to go back and delete the extras. Also, no warning that if I "shrunk the file and tried again" I'd be repeating the downloads of the files that were OK.

There, then, is the problem I'm talking about.

bangster

...I realize now (having been bit) what I SHOULD have done when told "try again". When I went back to the selection window I should have CLEARED all the slots before trying again with a smaller file. I know that now...I didn't know it at the time, because there was no indication that ANY of the files had already been downloaded before I was send the "try again" message. I supposed (incorrectly, it turns out) that the entire download had aborted because of a size problem (which problem) with one of the files. In fact, the download had completed EXCEPT for the problem-file.

The cure, I now believe, doesn't involve andy programming changes; just a change in the warning message, so that it says something like:"Downloads completed except for file(s) X,Y,... which have the following problems:____ Return to selection window, clear all previous selections, then try again after remedying the problems."

Simply letting the user know what's going on would largely eliminate the problem.

Harold, can you ask somebody to think about that?

bangster

Blog Entries

Bangster,

I deleted the extra images. We are planning a software upgrade that should make images a little easier to manage.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers

Hey Tom, thanks a bunch.

However, I still don't have an answer to my main question: "What makes a picture too big to download?" I've yet to see any clear statement of size requirements. Am I looking in the wrong places?

bangster
    [edit=1752=1210700288][/edit]

Quote Originally Posted by harold
    When this board started, I had to go to the user area to edit for size, or it wouldn't upload them. Now it seems to no longer require sizing. Something was changed along the way, as I never need to edit them for about the last year or so. It would be helpful if the pictures (with multiple picture files) were put onto the SECOND post, so they don't show up on every page of a long thread.
    I thought Harold answered that question.
    -------Tony-------
    Arizona Clock Repair

Quote Originally Posted by Tony
    Quote Originally Posted by harold
    I thought Harold answered that question.
    I don't think so. If they no longer require sizing, why was I getting "too large" messages?

bangster

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Don't take it personally, Bang. I don't think there was an insult there Like Tom said, we (well, not me) are working on an update. There are bugs on this software that come up from time to time.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Original pic size 2425 x 3259 1.27 megs

File uploaded and sized without ANY problems
    [edit=1=1210713432][/edit]
    Last edited by Jeff Hamilton; 09-03-2008 at 04:53 PM.
    Jeff Hamilton, FNAWCC, Certified Master Clockmaker www.clockmaker.com

The mystery deepens.

Bangster,

Did you find a solution to your image problem? Image processing is handled by an external application called ImageMajik that sometimes seems to have a mind of its own. Ocassionally the problem is that the photo is in a format that is not compatible. Try to stick with jpeg (.jpg) to avoid this. If all else fails, you can resize the image to no larger than 540 pixels in width in another photo editor on your computer, and then upload.

As Tom & Harold mentioned, a software upgrade will be coming soon that will eliminate most or all of the problems.
    John Webb