Goal: $300, Received: $225.00 (75%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: H Redard & Sons Geneva (By: KarlWS)

Here are some more, higher-resolution photos of my H. Redard & Sons hunters pocket watch.

I noticed, that A.F.W's. watch photo, shown just above my original posting, has a nearly identical-looking unsigned movement, and very similar dial face. I see the engraved dust cover back on this particular watch says, "Geneve 1871". It's not a H. Redard timepiece, but would this photo comparison help, at all, to better identify the approximate year my watch was made? I have no idea how often movements/dials of this era were changed. Someone out there, just might. Thanks much, again, for any help you might be able to provide. -KarlWS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	h_redard_front_view1.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	170.6 KB 
ID:	70738   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	h_redard_back_view2.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	154.1 KB 
ID:	70739   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	h_redard_side_view.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	70740   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	h_redard_dial_view1.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	192.2 KB 
ID:	70741   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	h_redard_dial_view2.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	155.1 KB 
ID:	70742  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	h_redard_dust_view1.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	70743   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	h_redard_dust_view2.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	70744   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	h_redard_move_view1.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	70745   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	h_redard_move_view4.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	189.3 KB 
ID:	70746   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	h_redard_move_view5.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	154.6 KB 
ID:	70747  

In answer to post #29 regarding manufacture date between 1843 and 1893, I'd estimate 1875 to 1885.

I'd guess the same for the other two recently posted/

Is it possible, that the hand-etched "73922H6" I discovered on the inside of the rear hinged dust cover, is actually "73922H&", and means September 22, 1873, with H& used as shorthand, of sorts, for H. Redard & Sons? Just a thought. Thanks! -KarlWS
    Last edited by KarlWS; 09-05-2010 at 03:42 PM. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by KarlWS View Post
    Is it possible, that the hand-etched "73922H6" I discovered on the inside of the rear hinged dust cover, is actually "73922H&", and means September 22, 1873, with H& used as shorthand, of sorts, for H. Redard & Sons? Just a thought. Thanks! -KarlWS
    And, I just found what looks like a hand-etched "1873Y", at 4 o'clock, on the inside of the hinged back cover. Looking more, and more, like that's the production year. -KarlWS

And, I just found what looks like a hand-etched "1873Y", at 4 o'clock, on the inside of the hinged back cover. Looking more, and more, like that's the production year. -KarlWS
    That won't be a production year, Karl. It may well be the year the watch was repaired or serviced. Those hand-scratches are repairer's marks. The "H6" will mean something only to the repairere, and certainly won't relate to the name of the watch.

Default Re: H Redard & Sons Geneva (By: MartyR)

Quote Originally Posted by MartyR View Post
    That won't be a production year, Karl. It may well be the year the watch was repaired or serviced. Those hand-scratches are repairer's marks. The "H6" will mean something only to the repairere, and certainly won't relate to the name of the watch.
    Thank, Marty. I 'm just trying to connect some dots. I appreciate the reply. -KarlWS

Anyone know, with reasonable certainty, what the H. stands for? Thanx. -KarlWS

Noone knows with certainty except the repairer who scratched the mark, probably in 1873. He may even be dead by now

Quote Originally Posted by MartyR View Post
    Noone knows with certainty except the repairer who scratched the mark, probably in 1873. He may even be dead by now
    Actually, I was referring to the "H", in H. Redard & Sons. -KarlWS

Actually, I was referring to the "H", in H. Redard & Sons. -KarlWS
    Ah, that does make a difference There was a Jacques Henri Redard in Verrieres, Switzerland in the early 18th century. The French are sticklers for repeating family names even in the same generation, so if your H. Redard was related to the man in Verrieres, there's a fair chance that the name was Henri.

H. Redard & Fils was established in Geneva in 1844, and I suspect this is your maker. You might be able to search the "Companies House" type records in Geneva to find the name of the owner.

Sorry if I am muddying the waters but I have a range of 7**** numbers dated 1873 & 1880, thereafter 1883.
    The later ones were sourced from Calame-Robert in Neuchatel, as far as I can see.
    The earlier ones appear to have been made or at least finished by the successor company Louis Audemars, Geneva (my great-grandfather) - according to Hartmut Zantke.
    P

Default Re: H Redard & Sons Geneva (By: Audemars)

I know this is an old thread, I hope those involved are still active. I am looking for more information on my families watches. The Redard in question is my Great x2 Grandfather (H is not his first name) and he was a watchmaker in the late 1800's in Switzerland. Mostly I am looking to see where I might look to acquire a H Redard & Sons watch. It would be nice to own a piece of my family's history.
    Thanks,
    Russ

Default Re: H Redard & Sons Geneva (By: russredard)

Thank you for your interesting reply. I wish I could suggest a source for an H. Regards & Sons watch. I can see how it would be desirable to acquire a timepiece created by your namesake. Ours has been in my wife's family, since the beginning. I've not seen another quite like it. Good luck on your quest.

Thank you. It is a very beautiful watch. I will keep up my search - Russ