Goal: $300, Received: $360.00 (120%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default H Redard & Sons Geneva

hi-Does anyone know that value and year of this watch please?

Default Re: H Redard & Sons Geneva (By: Lynn)

Lynn,

We'll be happy to help you try to find out more information about your watch, but we need more than just a name to work with. The name could be the maker, but it could also be the original retailer who sold the watch. And we won't be able to help with a valuation, as the variables involved there are just too far beyond our scope.

If you can post clear pictures of the movement (the watch mechanism), any marks inside the case, and of the dial, we can probably narrow down a date and place of manufacture. Alternately, a clear description of the movement and all markings might give us a place to start.

Regards,

Cary Hurt

[edit=3476=1209494142]typo correction[/edit]
    Cary Hurt

Quote Originally Posted by Cary
    Lymm,

We'll be happy to help you try to find out more information about your watch, but we need more than just a name to work with. The name could be the maker, but it could also be the original retailer who sold the watch. And we won't be able to help with a valuation, as the variables involved there are just too far beyond our scope.

If you can post clear pictures of the movement (the watch mechanism), any marks inside the case, and of the dial, we can probably narrow down a date and place of manufacture. Alternately, a clear description of the movement and all markings might give us a place to start.

Regards,

Cary Hurt

Hi-Trying to send picture-via cut and paste-pictures forthcoming--thanks! Lynn

H Redard & Sons Geneva
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chicago 1947 001.jpg   Chicago 1947 002.jpg   Chicago 1947 003.jpg   Chicago 1947 004.jpg   Chicago 1947 005.jpg  

Chicago 1947 006.jpg   Chicago 1947 007.jpg   Chicago 1947 008.jpg   Chicago 1947 009.jpg  

[Here are pictures of the movement. THANKS for any help---Lynn
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chicago 1947 008.jpg   Chicago 1947 008.jpg   Chicago 1947 019.jpg   Chicago 1947 018.jpg   Chicago 1947 016.jpg  

Chicago 1947 010.jpg   Chicago 1947 012.jpg   Chicago 1947 014.jpg   Chicago 1947 016.jpg   Chicago 1947 019.jpg  

Volume 2 of K. Pritchard's "Swiss Timepiece Makers" has a listing for H. Renard et Fils Geneve. Founded 1844 and won a First Prize with others at the 1876 International Chronometer Contest in Geneva.
    NAWCC LARC
    Volunteer

Quote Originally Posted by RON
    Volume 2 of K. Pritchard's "Swiss Timepiece Makers" has a listing for H. Renard et Fils Geneve. Founded 1844 and won a First Prize with others at the 1876 International Chronometer Contest in Geneva.

Thank you much!

I would rather see a closer view of the movement but from what I can see it looks like you have a very fine item.

The case looks very good and from its decoration its probably fairly heavy. Some are so thin they are called oil can cases.

The movement is typical of very high grade items from the Locle area, North of Geneva. It is not jeweld on the center wheel but that came much later for small watcvhes like yours. It has at least one extra cap jewel, which is a sign of a very high grade moement. It may have other high grade features which a closer view woudl show

Watches of this quality in this size are unusual. It may have more high end features which would make it rare.

Hello together,
    the case with the "Saturn"-bow and the engraved art looks very nice.
    The dial - especially the subsecond - only dirty?
    The movement looks as far as I can identify to a "neuch‚teleuse" Le Locle style (Ebauche made of Piguet FrŤres).
    Age around 1870-80.
    Weight around 80-85 gramms (without the chain).

My best regards
    Tony

I agree with Tony about the dating but I think it might be as late as the 1890's.

We don't do values but the case looks like it has about 1 1/4 Oz of gold in it, more if its a thick case, less if a really thin one. Swiss gold hallmarking was not as relaible as it is today so it may not be fully 18K but you can use this to get an idea of the metal value.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.
    I would rather see a closer view of the movement but from what I can see it looks like you have a very fine item.

The case looks very good and from its decoration its probably fairly heavy. Some are so thin they are called oil can cases.

The movement is typical of very high grade items from the Locle area, North of Geneva. It is not jeweld on the center wheel but that came much later for small watcvhes like yours. It has at least one extra cap jewel, which is a sign of a very high grade moement. It may have other high grade features which a closer view woudl show

Watches of this quality in this size are unusual. It may have more high end features which would make it rare.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4-27-08 002.jpg   4-27-08 003.jpg   4-27-08 004.jpg   4-27-08 005.jpg   4-27-08 006.jpg  

4-27-08 008.jpg   4-27-08 009.jpg   4-27-08 011.jpg   4-27-08 012.jpg   4-27-08 010.jpg  

Hi-Thank you. I took a few more closer pictures of the movement. Additionally, it is marked 18k and is indeed very heavy. Thanks for any identification and information. Lynn

Hi-I have added close-up pictures of the movement to help with ID. THANKS! Lynn