Goal: $300, Received: $30.00 (10%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3381 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Sperry & Shaw ogee tablets, apparently hand painted, Fenn-like but not really...

This is really a continuation of the eight day weight discussion below, which got me thinking about the tablet in that clock and other Sperry & Shaw clocks I've seen over the years. I've had several of these Sperry & Shaw ogees over the years, all thirty hour. Two of them (including the one I still have, see pictures below) featured beautiful tablets that at first glance appeared to be Mr. Fenn's work, but upon closer inspection were revealed to be hand painted, maybe with a template of some sort, but definitely not stenciled (ala' Fenn). Of the ones I've had, I remember that at least a couple had the decoration laid on transparent glass... the one I have here now has black backing along the edges, and some sort of "frosting" behind the central section. There are transparent sections around the central bird and flower motif and of course the pendulum bob viewing window. The whole has a wonderful translucent look to it.

I can't remember seeing this sort of tablet on ogees by other makers, and I would like to be proved wrong about that.

I'm not sure if anyone has done (or published) any research into this method of painting tablets. Any thoughts?

Good grist for a Bulletin article.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sandstablet.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	136.2 KB 
ID:	13641   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sandstabletback.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	13642   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sands.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	116.0 KB 
ID:	13643   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sandslabel.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	13644   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sandstablet1.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	13645  

NAWCC 25131

Blog Entries

Default Re: Sperry & Shaw ogee tablets, apparently hand painted, Fenn-like but not reall (By: Peter A. Nunes)

I have always like the tablet on my Sperry & Shaw 4 column clock. I just wish the dial were not self destructing.

Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers

Default Re: Sperry & Shaw ogee tablets, apparently hand painted, Fenn-like but not reall (By: Peter A. Nunes)

Hey Peter;

Do you have a link or something so we can read about Fenn? Did he work with more than one manufacture?

I have two smaller ogees I believe both of them to be E.N. Welch. They are wind up 30 hours.

Hey Tom McIntrye;

Why not stop the destruction with some of that soluvar's varnish or whatever it's called. Me I use plain ol Krylon clear accrylic spray. The Krylon is non reversable. But I have no issue with that. The Soluvar's is the professional restoration approach.

Here are some of my welch pics.

[edit=2265=1208474876][/edit]

This type of tablet is an early style of hand painted (freehand) glass. Other makers did use these, but they are few. William S Johnson is another maker who used similar hand painted tablets.

Birge & Fuller as well as Brewster & Ingrahams, Forestville (JC Brown) and a few others also used these OCCASIONALLY, or in combination with stenciled tablets.

Something like these:

You may also be interested to know that many of these tablets that feature "frosted" glass effects are actually done using paint (the glass is not really frosted, because at the time only expensive clocks had acid etched tablets).

Blog Entries

Hi Sooth, good to see you back.
    So how would one tell if it is a Fen or not?
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Kevin, the Fenn glasses are quite recognizable, and very well documented. Most of the original stencils reside at the American Clock and Watch Museum, in Bristol, Connecticut (clockmuseum.org) Through the efforts of Chris Bailey (in 1984) they have been reprinted in booklet form and are available from the museum for a reasonable price. There are actually two booklets, one red, and one blue, and between the two of them they contain all of the Fenn designs I have seen. A worthy and necessary addition to any clock library. In addition, go to the NAWCC web site and in the Bulletin index you will find more information on our friend William B. Fenn.
    NAWCC 25131

Here's a Welton tablet. It looks better , than the picture. It is the Peacock tablet.

There is a Goodrich & Hill tablet, cracked, of flowers in a vase...

..and a similar style painting of flowers in a basket, on a Forestville clock.

A miniature Henry terry glass and a miniature Goodrich & Hill.

Name:	153Welton2Frt.jpg 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	13669   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	165HillsGoodrich2Frt.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	13670   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	23HTerryFrt.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	13671   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	79SmithGood1Frt.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	13672   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	98Forestville1Frt.jpg 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	13673  

http://www.xrestore.com/Pages/Glass.htm Further discussion here... but again, no mention of this hand painted "transition" tablet technique.

I am aware of the geometric patterns used on early steeple clocks and double steeples... could the same artists have been painting these ogee tablets? Certainly similar brushes and techniques were used.
    NAWCC 25131

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Here is another 4 column Sperry and Shaw, similar to Tom's, slightly different tablet. No problem yet with the dial

Name:	100_0287.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	253.4 KB 
ID:	13678  
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Here is a Brewster & Ingrahams Steeple with a hand painted type. Paul

Name:	DSCN7759.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	13684   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN7760.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	13685  

Here is a Terry & Andrews with the Fenn type of stencil/hand paint glasses.

Name:	DSCN7715.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	13686  

"one red, and one blue, and between the two of them they contain all of the Fenn designs I have seen"

Not to nit-pick Peter, but I have these two books, and they do not contain all the Fenn stencils. They contain maybe around 85-90% only. There are several popular stencils that are not found in these books. The books are also missing hundreds of stencils such as the ones used on wooden works clock cases.

They are still an excellent source for replacement tablet ideas.

As for Ralph's Ogee examples, some of those feature yet another style of freehand tablet (like the one of the vase which is mostly a very simple line drawing that's filled-in). From what I gather, this style was only around in the erea of 1840-1845. Very few clocks have this style of tablet, and decent examples are getting very hard to find.

I collect such examples (photos) and out of my huge archive, I probably have less than 5 such examples.

The Henry Terry that you posted with the orange style glass is another popular type of freehand design that I see fairly often. These may have been produced by Fenn, as he apparently also supplied this style of tablet along with is stenciled ones.