Month's Goal: $300, Received: $35.00 - (12%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2336 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Elaine Watch Co - Swiss - any info?

Hi,
    I recently inherited a wrist watch from my mother when she passed away and I am trying to find any info on the watch that I can.
    The only reference she ever made to it was in a note saying the watch was from 1926
    All the other info I have comes from what I have found stamped into the back of the workings.
    I have already written to the Federation of the Swiss Watch Industry and they have no information on the Elaine Watch Co at all.
    The pictures may be too small for you to see what is stamped into the back so I will put it down as accurately as I can for you. It is all in capital letters.

ELAINE WATCH CO
    SWISS

TWO2ADJUSTMENTS
    SIXTEEN16JEWELS

A R
    F S

Under the letters (the watch maker himself?) is a long rectangle split into 4 sections and each section has a small upward "dash" sticking into the box from the bottom line.

Any information from anyone would be greatly appreciated. It would help me trace a bit of my mother's past and, hopefully, let me know some of what I need for a more accurate restoration. (no, I don't know how to repair watches.. it's going to a professional)

If you need any more info or would like to see the larger pictures just send me an email at jbowen43@charter.net and I will be happy to send it to you.

Thank you

Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Watch 04 600scan 304kb.jpg   Watch 03.jpg  

Default Re: Elaine Watch Co - Swiss - any info? (RE: jimbowen)

Need to add 2 more pics that may help...

dang... I resized 2 pictures to show you the watch in it's case and with it's band but it says it is still too large.

If you wants to see them just send me an email and I will get them to you.

Thanks again,

Jim
    [edit=7535=1207856369]didnt attach pics[/edit]

Jim, I had an Elaine Watch Co marked ladies ww years ago. Mine had the same movement as yours. Don't know the manufacturer. Mine was housed in a nice 6 sided white 14K gold case. with strap brackets for a silk band. I think that my watch came from the late 1920's era. You might be accrurate on the 1926 date.

My daughter liked it. So I gave it to her. She still wears it occasionally.

Tom

Jim,

Elaine is a pretty commonly seen name on ladies watches of this era. The name was owned by the New York import firm of Bayer, Pretzfelder and Mills, and was copyrighted in 1924, although it was used well before then. Elaine was purportedly the daughter of one of the principals in the company (they also used the trade names "Nicolet" and "Willard"), but I believe that the choice to use "Elaine" may have had something to do with it's passing resemblance to "Elgin" when printed on a small watch dial.

Your movement is an early mass produced model, I think made by Felsa, though I would need to see under the dial to be sure. It is a reasonably good quality movement, though sixteen jewels is a little bit unorthodox.

As Tom said, these watches were often cased in nice solid gold cases, and they are a good representative of typical Swiss watch production from this early era. While not terribly collectible, they are sound enough to be worn and enjoyed, durable enough to use without fear and they are still repairable and maintainable. They're a great introduction into wristwatch collecting, in my opinion.

Regards,

Cary Hurt
    Cary Hurt