Month's Goal: $300, Received: $300.00 - (100%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2394 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Kronotron Electra - need help identifying watch

Hi there!

I'm in the process of clearing out our neighbor's estate. He was a collector of all sorts of things, and I'm trying to identify some of the treasures we have found. I don't know much about watches, so forgive my description.

Attached are 2 photos of a Kronotron Electra watch that is still in its original box. It's got a bright blue face with crystals between each of the number marks. There are gold hands and line marks for the numbers. The watch itself is made of stainless steel. The face says "Kronotron Electra Lifetime Mainspring Swiss Movt" and there is an insignia on the back of the case that looks like a coat of arms, with a sticker that says "Electra." It's a wind-up watch that still works, and appears to have never been taken out of the box.

A copy of a two year warranty was also in the box. It instructs the owner to send the watch to Genova Watch Service in New York if repair is necessary.

Unfortunately, there are no dates on the materials included with the watch, although the phone number for the Genova Watch Service doesn't have an area code.

I've tried searching the web for information about Kronotron and Electra watches, but haven't had any luck. If anyone could offer any information, it would be very much appreciated!

Thank you!
    -Felicia
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kronotron Electra Watch.jpg   Kronotron Electra Watch Face.jpg  

Default Re: Kronotron Electra - need help identifying watch (RE: felrockk)

Felrockk,

I have a few Kronotron watches that I picked up in junk lots on an auction site. All of the ones I have are one or no jewel pin-lever movements. They are usually pretty easy to clean and get running. They rarely run very well though because they are low quality movements. If you can open the back and post a picture of the movement someone may be able to identify it for you.
    It is pretty funky looking in a retro sort of way.

Ed Schweiger

Default Re: Kronotron Electra - need help identifying watch (RE: felrockk)

These were popular during the 60's into the 70's. They were low priced watches using names that were similar to swiss makers or what was thought to be "modern technology" of the time. Electra-electric, swiss made, etc.
    The watch is not very valuable but is neat as it looks to be in excellent condition with box and papers. It does have a pin lever movement which at the time were cheap to produce but did run quite well when properly cleaned and maintained (which nobody did because of cost)

I'm sure that it would sell on one of those auction sites!

Bob