Goal: $300, Received: $80.00 (27%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Default Re: Some Jerome clocks for viewing (By: Jerome collector)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome collector View Post
    Dave,
    Glad I could help. I take yours is a loose movement? If cased, what style?
    Mike
    You are right; it is a loose movement that I picked up off of eBay to put into a decent OG case I picked up at an auction. (It's actually a New Haven 30 hr case with quartz chime movement). I believe the case to be late 1850's or early 1860's. Just an odd-ball marriage, but at least the time frame is about right. I just generally pick up clocks destined for the scrap heap and 'resurrect' them. Usually make my own replacement parts. Spend a lot more time on them than what they're worth monetarily, but heck, saving a little history! Besides, it keeps me out of trouble.
    Have fun! (I do.)
    Dave

Default Re: Some Jerome clocks for viewing (By: about_time)

I submit my Chauncey Jerome Ogee........I replaced the bottom tablet, which was nothing more than a mirror when I purchased it, with a stock replacement from Merritt's. Some dial condition problems but a good clock nonetheless........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chauncey Jerome Ogee.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	23942  

Registered User Jerome collector's Avatar

Default Re: Some Jerome clocks for viewing (By: iowaclock)

Quote Originally Posted by iowaclock View Post
    Quick Question, On the Jerome Chauncey Austin, ILL. labels, how long did they make clocks(they had a factory fire right?)?

Does anyone know how many clocks were made with the label?

Thanks
    Chris Bailey (From Rags to Riches to Rags: The Story of Chauncey Jerome) believes the US Clock & Brass Co existed for less than a year (1866-67). CB doesn't mention a fire, so it's not clear to me whether the company failed due to a poor business model or a disaster (like a fire). Absent a daybook, I doubt there's any way to determine how many clocks they made with either the USC&B Co label or the CJ label. My guess is fewer of the CJ labels than the USC&B Co labels, with total production measured in the thousands to tens of thousands. Clocks with one label or the other appear occasionally on eBay, but I wouldn't consider them common.

Default Re: Some Jerome clocks for viewing (By: Dave Heise)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Heise View Post
    I submit my Chauncey Jerome Ogee........I replaced the bottom tablet, which was nothing more than a mirror when I purchased it, with a stock replacement from Merritt's. Some dial condition problems but a good clock nonetheless........
    Dave,
    Any chance you can post images of the label and movement? I'm cataloguing examples in hopes of providing a chronology of Jerome labels.
    Mike
    PS - I used to live in Towson. Wouldn't mind returning someday.

With all due respect to the interests of other MB participants, there seems to be precious little interest in pre-20th century clocks and that are of American manufacture, an interest that hopefully a few of us may still share.

In that context, I believe there are some good now dormant threads that are worthy of revival and to which new postings should be added. Over 2 years ago, Jerome collector started this thread. In my opinion, this is certainly one of those worthy of resuscitation. Some nice clocks are posted upon it.

I do this entirely on my own and I am expressing ONLY my own opinions here. Direct any criticism to me alone. Let me assure everyone I am not "anti" anything.

In anticipation of future postings that I and hopefully others will contribute, I would like to do some consolidation by posting links to previous threads that in whole or in part had interesting Jerome clocks on them rather than repeating previous postings. They are in no particular order other than as they popped into my rather thick disorganised head. Feel free to add your own.

Check out this link for a nice discussion of the Jerome "plastic" cases:

http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?t=62696

Chauncey Jerome in Illinois:

http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?t=29074

http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?t=63823

A great early solid wheel Jerome clock:

http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?t=60623

This thread is not Jerome specific, but is liberally sprinkled with Jerome fusee clocks:

http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?t=59464

I'm sure there's more that I'm leaving out.

RM

Default Re: Some Jerome clocks for viewing (By: rmarkowitz1_cee4a1)

Thanks to RM for bringing back this thread. I'm going to put a link to it in the sticky at the top of this forum. It is my hope that we can put together a collection of pictures of Jerome Clocks (not NH-type Jerome & Co., but echt Chauncey himself, or his "lesser" relatives, such as brother Noble). It may prove to be important. In that regard, may I recommend that those who have posted links to their collections ensure either that the links are still correct or post the pictures directly here to ensure their continuity. External links have a way of changing.
    “If one tells the truth, one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out.” - Oscar Wilde

Default Re: Some Jerome clocks for viewing (By: Steven Thornberry)

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Thornberry View Post
    Thanks to RM for bringing back this thread. I'm going to put a link to it in the sticky at the top of this forum. It is my hope that we can put together a collection of pictures of Jerome Clocks (not NH-type Jerome & Co., but echt Chauncey himself, or his "lesser" relatives, such as brother Noble). It may prove to be important. In that regard, may I recommend that those who have posted links to their collections ensure either that the links are still correct or post the pictures directly here to ensure their continuity. External links have a way of changing.
    Thanks for the "sticky". Jerome did more to revolutionize the clock industry world wide than anyone, IMHO.

A few more Jerome llinks of interest in rather random order.

An early Jerome ogee with a brass dial:

http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?t...ghlight=jerome

For a rare Jerome "thin movement" wooden works:

Chronology of Jerome and Co:

Another attempt to get folks to post their Jeromes:

More about Jerome "plastic" cases:

SB Jerome:

http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?t...=jerome&page=2

RM

Default Re: Some Jerome clocks for viewing (By: Patricia Jones)

Mike,
    A great collection and website. Your fame spreads internationally as I have copied the link to all the avid American collectors in UK. As you know Jerome was instrumental in setting up the export trade and I have owned, and still have some, of his clocks.
    One point, unless I missed something, I didn't see any of Jerome's many fusee driven clocks amongst your collection, but imagine that you must have some tucked away?

Specop

Default Re: Some Jerome clocks for viewing (By: specop)

Specop,
    Appreciate the kind words about my collection. As for fusees, I have only one, and I haven't gotten around to taking digital images of it. I have conventional photos from years ago and am trying (slowly, unfortunately) to update my photo library with digital images. The fusee is a 30-hr steeple. I'm on vacation in New Hampshire right now. When I return to Omaha, I'll see what I can do about posting images of the clock.

I'm curious about the exported Jeromes you have or once had. In particular whether they were labeled "Jerome & Co." or "Chauncey Jerome." Another project I'm working on (again, slowly) is a catalog of labels using the Jerome name in clocks with 30-hr, weight-driven movements. If you have images to share, I'd love to see them.
    Mike

There are many Chauncey Jerome clocks in UK, after all it was he who opened up the export trade. Some have the rarer Bristol label, most have New Haven. When his business failed around 1850 and was taken over by the New Haven Clock Co. they continued to export using the Jerome & Co. label, probably capitalising on Chauncey's name. These labels are very common in UK while New Haven Clock Co. labels are scarce.
    I came across a Chauncey Jerome fusee clock a few weeks back which was missing its seatboard and lower glass. As it was a fusee clock it was worth restoring and this has been done. I attach pictures which are a little dark I'm afraid.

Specop

Name:	DSCN0152.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	100.9 KB 
ID:	68170   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0153.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	111.3 KB 
ID:	68171  

Default Re: Some Jerome clocks for viewing (By: specop)

Quote Originally Posted by specop View Post
    There are many Chauncey Jerome clocks in UK, after all it was he who opened up the export trade. Some have the rarer Bristol label, most have New Haven. When his business failed around 1850 and was taken over by the New Haven Clock Co. they continued to export using the Jerome & Co. label, probably capitalising on Chauncey's name. These labels are very common in UK while New Haven Clock Co. labels are scarce.
    I came across a Chauncey Jerome fusee clock a few weeks back which was missing its seatboard and lower glass. As it was a fusee clock it was worth restoring and this has been done. I attach pictures which are a little dark I'm afraid.

Specop
    Nice Jerome clock with calling card label. If I remember correctly, in this model, the fusee is actually on the white metal winding drums of the movement. Jerome also placed a movement in similar cases with detached wooden fusees mounted in a wood and metal frame below the movement.

For other examples of Jerome fusee clocks in full size "empire" cases, use the link below to American fusee clocks. Don't remember what page they're on.

Also see Chris Bailey's bulletin supplement, Rags to Riches to Rags for more about these clocks and info re:his trade with the UK and a reproduction of his 1850's trade catalog.

RM

Wish to share a Jerome miniature time and strike weight driven clock for the what seems to be the pitiful few on the MB who might be interested.

The case is rosewood and rosewood veneered. Note the flat pilasters flanking the divided door with "bulls eye" corner blocks above and below them. This type of corner block was often used in the architectural wood work of homes of the period of this clock and was used as a decorative element on clock cases, mirrors, etc as well. Note the dimensions are 20 5/8 inches tall by 12 1/4 inches wide by 4 inches deeped. The door retains both its original upper clear glass and mirror tablet below.

The original white painted metal dial with raised chaper ring, large central opening, painted black Roman numerals is signed with a stamp "Made by C. Jerome Brisol CT USA" in an arch above the central opening surrounded by a stellate boarder. Not the "incomplete" winding holes in the dial. The hour hand is original. The minute hand is, well, crap, and I haven't gotten around to changing it in the > 15 years I've owned the clock.

Pasted to the inner surface of the back board is a printed paper label as shown.

The 30 hour weight driven time and strike movement mounted on a seat board with an upper retaining block is, I think, quite interesting. Given the dimensions of the case, this is a MINIATURE weight driven clock. Note solid escape wheel. The front plate is rolled brass and is signed "Made by C. Jerome/Bristol Conn/USA". As per Chris Bailey, the back plate is wrought steel with brass bushings.

For more information about these clocks, please see Bailey's Rags to Riches to Rags supplement which has been referred to innumerable times (frankly, if you have any interest in American clocks, there's no excuse not to own this Bulletin supplement), pages 70-1, figures 137-40. Note the difference in the dial between this clock and that illustrated. Comparing notes with other collectors, these clocks came with the dial on this clock or that illustrated.

RM

Name:	IMG_2441.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	210.4 KB 
ID:	68369   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2444.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	225.3 KB 
ID:	68370   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2445.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	199.6 KB 
ID:	68371   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2447.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	192.8 KB 
ID:	68372   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2449.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	188.7 KB 
ID:	68373  

I guess I'm one of the "pitiful few." I think it's a wonderful clock. The "made by" stamp must have been for a larger dial--makes sense if this is a miniature. Did this model follow the Chauncey/Noble Jerome ogee clock?
    Jeremy

Default Re: Some Jerome clocks for viewing (By: Jeremy Woodoff)

I thought I'd post this one again here, along with views of the movement and dial. The movement is signed "Chauncey Jerome / New Haven, Conn / USA" and the dial is signed "C. Jerome." I believe this dates the clock to the early 1850's, after Jerome left Bristol but before bankruptcy and takeover by New Haven CC. The case front is a pressed, molded material, whether the sawdust and shellac formulation patented by S. Peck, early hard rubber, or something else, I don't know.

Also shown from Tran's Waterbury book are images of two Waterbury clocks from their 1893 catalog--the "Neptune" and the "Navarro." These are exactly the same case as my Jerome, except that they are metal cases, and one has a bit of extra ornament on top and the other has a figure on top. There was a discussion somewhere about Chauncey's relationship to the Waterbury Clock Co., and at first I thought that might explain how Waterbury got this case pattern. However, if the clock didn't appear in Waterbury's catalog till around 1893, that would be long after Jerome's association with the firm.

Name:	IMG_0164.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	254.1 KB 
ID:	68400   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3814.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	173.9 KB 
ID:	68401   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3816.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	164.3 KB 
ID:	68402   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3817.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	115.2 KB 
ID:	68403   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Waterbury catalog240.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	179.2 KB 
ID:	68404  

Jeremy

Default Re: Some Jerome clocks for viewing (By: Jeremy Woodoff)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Woodoff View Post
    I thought I'd post this one again here, along with views of the movement and dial. The movement is signed "Chauncey Jerome / New Haven, Conn / USA" and the dial is signed "C. Jerome." I believe this dates the clock to the early 1850's, after Jerome left Bristol but before bankruptcy and takeover by New Haven CC. The case front is a pressed, molded material, whether the sawdust and shellac formulation patented by S. Peck, early hard rubber, or something else, I don't know.

Also shown from Tran's Waterbury book are images of two Waterbury clocks from their 1893 catalog--the "Neptune" and the "Navarro." These are exactly the same case as my Jerome, except that they are metal cases, and one has a bit of extra ornament on top and the other has a figure on top. There was a discussion somewhere about Chauncey's relationship to the Waterbury Clock Co., and at first I thought that might explain how Waterbury got this case pattern. However, if the clock didn't appear in Waterbury's catalog till around 1893, that would be long after Jerome's association with the firm.
    That is a nice one, Jeremy. Something different. Interesting that Waterbury resurrected the case style 40 years later.
    “If one tells the truth, one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out.” - Oscar Wilde