Goal: $300, Received: $115.00 (38%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Default Re: Some Jerome clocks for viewing (By: Jerome collector)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome collector View Post
    RM,

Thanks for your thoughts. Jerome apprenticed as a house carpenter, and his earliest involvement in clock making was with dials and cases. By the 1840s, Jerome was owner of a large factory, and it's unclear how much direct involvement he would have had with construction techniques, even though he certainly had the background to contribute ideas. So, perhaps a bit of a stretch for me to refer to "Jerome's...experimentation." It might be more accurate to attribute that characteristic to his companies, which, to some degree, must have been a reflection of Jerome himself.

One thing I should have mentioned is that the case is smaller than an ogee: 14" x 24 3/8", compared to 15 1/2" x 25 7/8" for an ogee from the same period.

Mike
    A house carpenter...well, that's a bit different than a furniture maker though I will say that in smaller communities the house wright might do interior work as well making/repairing furniture when weather didn't permit them to pursue their primary trade or there was a lack of commissions to build homes.

I also vaguely recall reading about some case furniture attributed to Jerome and possibly even signed by him?

RM

Registered User Jerome collector's Avatar

Default Re: Some Jerome clocks for viewing (By: rmarkowitz1_cee4a1)

Quote Originally Posted by rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 View Post
    A house carpenter...well, that's a bit different than a furniture maker though I will say that in smaller communities the house wright might do interior work as well making/repairing furniture when weather didn't permit them to pursue their primary trade or there was a lack of commissions to build homes.

I also vaguely recall reading about some case furniture attributed to Jerome and possibly even signed by him?

RM
    RM,

I don't remember ever hearing about furniture made by Jerome, but that doesn't mean much. However, in a curious, little, self-published (c. 1970) book by Joseph Reeves, there's a picture (see below) of the author sitting in a rocking chair in the "Old Fenn Home," which is apparently where Wm. B. Fenn, of stenciled glass fame, grew up. According to Reeves, the woodwork in the house, presumably including the fireplace mantle behind him, was finished by Chauncey Jerome.

The theme and title of the book is "The Vanishing Footprints of the Old Plymouth Clockmakers." He devoted a paragraph to Jerome, quoted in part below:

"He was a great promoter, but I doubt that he ever actually made a clock movement. He always had some good clockmakers with him. His downfall started when his brother Noble left him and the final blow was the leaving of Hiram Camp [mmb: Camp was Jerome's nephew and the founder of the New Haven Clock Co.]. He wound up broke and his dreams were over. He did a bit of writing about his life later on and sought to blame others for his downfall. But he himself, I believe, was responsible that very few of his footprints are showing on the sands of time."

I particularly love his conclusion that few of Jerome's footprints remain on the sands of time. More recent authorities, such as Snowden Taylor and Chris Bailey, would likely take issue with that. Most would agree that Jerome ranks among the greatest of 19th century American clockmakers (despite never actually having made a clock movement!).

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4667b.jpg  

Default Re: Some Jerome clocks for viewing (By: Jerome collector)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome collector View Post
    RM,

I don't remember ever hearing about furniture made by Jerome, but that doesn't mean much. However, in a curious, little, self-published (c. 1970) book by Joseph Reeves, there's a picture (see below) of the author sitting in a rocking chair in the "Old Fenn Home," which is apparently where Wm. B. Fenn, of stenciled glass fame, grew up. According to Reeves, the woodwork in the house, presumably including the fireplace mantle behind him, was finished by Chauncey Jerome.

The theme and title of the book is "The Vanishing Footprints of the Old Plymouth Clockmakers." He devoted a paragraph to Jerome, quoted in part below:

"He was a great promoter, but I doubt that he ever actually made a clock movement. He always had some good clockmakers with him. His downfall started when his brother Noble left him and the final blow was the leaving of Hiram Camp [mmb: Camp was Jerome's nephew and the founder of the New Haven Clock Co.]. He wound up broke and his dreams were over. He did a bit of writing about his life later on and sought to blame others for his downfall. But he himself, I believe, was responsible that very few of his footprints are showing on the sands of time."

I particularly love his conclusion that few of Jerome's footprints remain on the sands of time. More recent authorities, such as Snowden Taylor and Chris Bailey, would likely take issue with that. Most would agree that Jerome ranks among the greatest of 19th century American clockmakers (despite never actually having made a clock movement!).

Mike
    Wish I could remember where I saw it. Oh well.

That guy is a old codger. Not quite on target in his sands of time comment.

RM

This recent acquisition is the Union by Chauncey Jerome. The case is darker than shown in the picture. I lightened the picture to show details better. The actual color is more like that of the example posted by Dave Coatsworth in this thread. The hands shown are new replacements. There is, unfortunately, no label. Chris Bailey's Bulletin Supplement # 15, Rags to Riches to Rags, shows examples of this clock in trade circulars from 1850 (p. 79, fig. 156), and 1853 (p. 92, fig 208).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Union (2).jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	293.9 KB 
ID:	324890

The numbers and chapter ring on the dial are somewhat faded but still quite legible. The dial is attached to its wooden mounts by two screws at the upper left and right, and by a pin at the lower left. The lower right shows no evidence of any attachment, either on the dial itself or the dial mount on the right. Note the similar mounting arrangement for the dial in this post of Dave Coatsworth’s thread. The dial mount on Dave’s clock, however, does have a mounting attachment (pin) on the lower right.

Name:	Union Dial.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	286.7 KB 
ID:	324891 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Union Left Dial Mount.JPG 
Size:	1,020.0 KB 
ID:	324892 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Union Right Dial Mount.JPG 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	324893

The 30-hour movement is signed “Chauncey Jerome, New Haven, Conn, USA.” It is mounted by j-hooks on a wooden seat block shown in the pictures. There is also an upper small wood block securing the top of the movement. Part of it can be seen in the picture of the right dial mount above.

Name:	Union Movement Back.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	590.2 KB 
ID:	324894 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Union Movement Front.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	408.5 KB 
ID:	324895

The seat block itself is not attached directly to the backboard but to another “mounting block” that is attached to the backboard. At first, I thought this was a post-production addition to accommodate longer replacement screw for the seat block. However, I now think it original, because without it, the pendulum would likely run afoul of the alarm bell and possibly the alarm itself. There is a lot crammed into the limited space of that case (interior depth = 2 7/8 inches).

Name:	Union Movement Mount.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	324.0 KB 
ID:	324896

I think I’ve seen this style movement before, but I can’t place where. Perhaps someone can help me out of my befuddlement. Because of the shape of the escape wheel bridge, I suspect it is in the Jerome/New Haven family. In any event, the movement is similar to later New Haven 30-hour time and strike movements, such as the ones below. The one on the right is from Tran’s book on New Haven clocks (arlington books.com), page 305, fig. 1211. Note the escape wheel bridge.

Name:	O.B. Mvmt Back.jpg 
Size:	394.8 KB 
ID:	324897 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	O.B. Mvmt Front.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	231.4 KB 
ID:	324898 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tran Column Movement.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	846.7 KB 
ID:	324899

A variety of 30-hour and 8-day movements seem to show up in the Union model, including fusee movements. Movements by A. S. Platt often show up in the Union, as well as in other Jerome clocks.
    “If one tells the truth, one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out.” - Oscar Wilde

Blog Entries

Default Re: Some Jerome clocks for viewing

Several posts on Lithographs have been split into their own thread which can be found HERE
    Cheers
    Peter R Lee: AKA (Pee-Tah) from Australia

Default Re: Some Jerome clocks for viewing (By: leeinv66)

Here's a Jeromes, Gilbert, Grant & Co clock that was acquired recently. The dial, glasses, and doorknob are not original to the clock. The dial (not pictured) is a painted steel modern repro. But it runs okay.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC06974.JPG   DSC06968.jpg   DSC06935.jpg   DSC06934.jpg   DSC06931.jpg  

DSC06939.jpg   DSC06945.jpg  

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: Some Jerome clocks for viewing (By: Pat L.)

Nice clock, Pat. Looks like a prequel to the OG clock, perhaps just a bit earlier.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: Some Jerome clocks for viewing (By: Pat L.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pat L. View Post
    Here's a Jeromes, Gilbert, Grant & Co clock that was acquired recently. The dial, glasses, and doorknob are not original to the clock. The dial (not pictured) is a painted steel modern repro. But it runs okay.
    This particular model of Jerome clock has been previously posted and discussed on this thread. See posting # 97. Find further information and recommendations for additional reading there.

I've posted a teaser pic below.

RM
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2911.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 View Post
    This particular model of Jerome clock has been previously posted and discussed on this thread. See posting # 97. Find further information and recommendations for additional reading there.

I've posted a teaser pic below.

RM
    PS: note the religious imagery on the label in you clock. Mike (aka, Jerome Collector) has written about this interesting phenomenon on Jerome labels.

RM

Harold & RM,
    Thanks for your comments about the Jerome clock. I returned to the estate where the clock was purchased and found what may be the original dial. It seems to match up well with the original dial holes in the vertical supports. Thanks again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC06988.JPG   DSC06989.JPG