Goal: $300, Received: $250.00 (84%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3377 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default A Very Rare Find

Many of the long term NAWCC members out my way, joke about the elusive "Holy Grail" of clocks. They'd call their weekend haunts of antique shops, estate sales and flea markets as their hunt for the Holy Grail. I asked them what type of clock constituted a Holy Grail clock. I had answers from a rare Willard banjo clock tucked away in an attic, to an off centered Pillar and Scroll showing up at a family estate sale. I guess anything rare and unusual can fit that term

Last week I found what some collectors may call a Holy Grail clock. It's a circa 1832 George Marsh & Co. 8 day Hollow Column clock, with Ives movement. As you can see by the picture, it's missing it's lower door. It had been in the same family for years. Apparently, the daughter thinks the door was lost, or misplaced my her father in the last few years. It still could be around, but I doubt it ever shows up.

The case also has some veneer damage on the upper left facing capital. Other than that, it's in great shape. The finish looks to be original. Great label and dial. All four feet are original as are the weights. I'm lucky enough to have several column clock parts cases from the same period. I should be able to make a door of the proper size. I've used Tom Morberg quite a bit in the past and am sure he can do a wonderful job on the glass.

A similar clock is pictured on page 115 in the book, 200 Years of American Clocks & Watches, by Chris Bailey.

Would appreciate and comments or suggestions.....Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hollow1c.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	122.3 KB 
ID:	10951   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hollow1b.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	10952   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hollow1a.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	10953  
    "For one who has not lived even a single lifetime, you're a wise man, Van Helsing."

Default Re: A Very Rare Find (By: clocks4u)

Congratulations, you did well.

Ralph

I'm certainly no scholar of these types of clocks, but like many here - I do know "rare" when I see it. You did well my friend. Congrats!

Great clock and great find. In my book American Shelf and Wall Clocks by Ball, it is referred to as Rare, so I am happy to go along with that.
    It is also mentioned as having pewter winding drums. Does yours have that feature ?

Lofty

Rare is Great! But, What a Grand looking clock

greg

Very nice. Hope the door shows up, that would be cool.

Registered user.

excellent find!

Thank you for the comments. I have been so busy, I haven't even pulled the dial yet. When I do, I'll post some pictures.

The lady that I bought the clock from said it had tipped over onto it's face when her father had it.. That is how the lower door and the upper capital were damaged. My guess it was removed for repair and was lost over time.

The day I purchased it, I thought I had only one weight. She had no idea where the other one was. It seemed heavy when I pulled it out of my car. The left side facing weight string was still over the drum. One look with a mirror told me my answer. The other weight was up inside the column.
    "For one who has not lived even a single lifetime, you're a wise man, Van Helsing."

I can make you a new door, but I don't have any crotch mahogany veneer that I could use for it (and you would definitely want some). I could also make it from your existing scrap door pieces if you prefer that. Please let me know. A simple door like this one would be fairly inexpensive, and easy for me to make for you.

The finishing and colour matching would be up to you, though.

I also have several photos of hollow column clocks that i can dig-up for you if you wish. Some clearly have Moberg tablets, but I do have a few photos that show original tablets.

The only problem is that I can't get anything to you easily right now, since I have no working computer (yet).

This is a truly gorgeous clock, and you should be very proud to own it.

Also consider having the section of the dial on the left of the opening restored.

What a great find. Can't wait to see under the hood.
    Tom Seymour

Sooth....Thank you for the offer. I have several old doors off of old wood works and double deckers I could use. Seems making one would be rather straight forward...would you agree? Is that what you would do to make one? I definetly want all the wood to be of similar age. There is an old timer here locally who collections the early stuff and I'm sure I can dig up some of the veneer you mentioned. I may leave the dial as is. Looks like normal wear, but that's just my opinion.

Awsome clock. I don't think I'll find one like that at the Goodwill.

Curious how heavy are the weights? I am not sure my eyes are quirky latley, but is there a taper to those columns?

Wondering if that might be why clock fell over in first place. Weight gets stuck at taper at top (clock becomes top heavy).

RJ

Good clocks always know the time, that's what they tell.

Bad clocks get glued with macaroni, in Steampunk Hell.

Ahh, the crunchy sound of victory https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGaVUApDVuY

Blog Entries

Chris, nice find.that sure is rare to me.It really is not in bad shape i guess, all things considered.I am positive that Sooth is the man to help you restore this clock.he is the master.
    please show pictures of this clock when it is restored.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Great find Chris...bu the way...I might be blind but don't see an issue with the dial. Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by inbeat
    Great find Chris...bu the way...I might be blind but don't see an issue with the dial. Am I missing something?
    Jim...Thanks...If you look close at the dial opening, there is part of it missing. I guess it probably should consider getting it restored. here is a better picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hollow1c.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	112.1 KB 
ID:	10987