Month's Goal: $300, Received: $110.00 - (37%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default History of Cuckoo Clock Mfg Co.

I am not sure what the best category to post this would be...My grandfather, Irving Schulman, was one of the founding members of the Cuckoo Clock Mfg Co on 40 W. 25th St in NYC. I am trying to find resources or any information on the history of this company. Can anyone point me in the right direction or impart any wisdom?

Default Re: History of Cuckoo Clock Mfg Co. (RE: molleva)

Hi

Heres a link to the NAWCC library. Perhaps you can make an inquiry there.

Click Here for library.
    "Find a need and fill it". Henry J. Kaiser

I just bought a cuckoo (my first) off ebay with "Cuckoo Clock Mfg Co." listed as the maker and decided to do a little research on it which also brought me to this place.

I'm not a historian or clock expert, and I don't know if the info I found is legit, but this is what I know (which may or may not be accurate).

Irving Schulman, and his brother Max, were Jewish refugees that fled Germany during the war years. I haven't found any census or immigration documents yet, but I'm guessing prior to WWII or around the beginning of it. They settled in New York and incorporated as the Cuckoo Clock Manufacturing Co. (date unknown). I don't know if they lived in the Black Forest region of Germany, but they definitely believed the Black Forest Cuckoo Clock market could be huge in the US and set-up shop in the Gift District of NYC. They initially planned on organizing a tool and die shop and other areas needed to make the clocks, but after realizing the higher costs of parts and labor in the US, the two brothers decided it would be easier to just import clocks. Pretty much just be a US seller/distributor of Black Forest Cuckoo Clocks.

There were three Black Forest families that I found that made clocks for Cuckoo Clock Mfg. Co., the Herrs, Kammerers and Bergers. None of the Cuckoo Clock Mfg Co. cuckoos I've seen have ever had any markings from those families though, and I'm not sure about the markings on the movements from some of their older clocks. I don't know if that had something to do with Germany's wartime restrictions to manufacturers who didn't produce items to be used in war, or forcing manufacturers to produce war items.

I'm still not sure on any exact dates of when Cuckoo Clock Mfg Co. started, but I did find some things about the Co. later starting to make mantle style clocks under the "Linden" name (late 1950's). So they must have gotten their clock shop up and running. Most of these mantle clocks I've seen have markings on the movement that say "Cuckoo Clock Mfg Co.", but I haven't seen any cuckoos that do which makes me believe they never got into making cuckoo cases and left that to the Black Forest families.

Later on the Schulman's started selling portions of the company to their top employees. One of them, Max Adler, then became the owner and retired in 1988. After that I don't know who owned the company and have no further info about Irving or Max Schulman.

After researching this I'm very curious to know more. Especially about the Schulman's early life in America and when they started importing cuckoos. If anyone has any more info, or can disprove some of what I found I'd love to hear it!

Default Re: History of Cuckoo Clock Mfg Co. (RE: Kleck)

Here is where the name Linden comes in.

In the late 1950's when the Cuckoo Clock Manufacturing Co. started making noncuckoo clocks the name didn't fit so Linden was added - Linden Cuckoo Clock Manufacturing Co. Some time later the company was sold to the Colibri group and just the name Linden was used. Up until the mid/late 1980's the noncuckoo clocks were made in the 25th street Newy York building but then moved to Rhode Island. Now they're made mostly in Taiwan.

I have a cuckoo clock that my grandmother gave me. I found the instructions and warranty from Cuckoo Clock Mfg. Co. On the back of the instructions, the purchase date was Dec. 24 1958. Googled the company and still has info and location but the phone was for another business. I need to have the clock fixed and was wondering who could do it.

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: History of Cuckoo Clock Mfg Co. (RE: sorrento)

Hi, Sorrento, welcome to the message board. Just about any clock repairman could help you with your clock (I say "just about" because many won't work on cuckoos, for some reason).
    If you tell us where you are, we may be able to give you a recommendation.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: History of Cuckoo Clock Mfg Co. (RE: harold bain)

I am in Blowing Rock, NC. I am also very close to Boone, NC, and about an hour from Hickory, NC. I also have a grandfather clock and a mantel clock in need of repair. I had my grandfather clock worked on locally but the two elderly gentleman that worked on it weren't very "gentle" at all and it was returned missing the number 5 on the moon dial. So I'd rather it sit and look pretty than lose more pieces.

Default Re: History of Cuckoo Clock Mfg Co. (RE: Kleck)

I have just inherited a cuckoo clock from the Cuckoo Clock Mfg Co. Inc. from my grandfather. He remembers it hanging in my grandmother's house when they met in 1943. This name is stamped in white on one side of the top piece and "Made in Gremany" is stamped in white on the other side. There are no other company markings but there is a number "353" written in pencil and the initials "NNW" written on the inside bottom and on the removable back cover. I would love to know when this might have been made, and where I may get pieces - the removable top piece has two leaves pointing down, a nest with two eggs, and then a space where it looks as though maybe two birds had broken off. It is also missing the big hand, one chain and one pine. Other than that, the rest is in excellent condition. I hope you are able to help me.

Default Re: History of Cuckoo Clock Mfg Co. (RE: Sailor)

Hi, sailor, welcome to the message board. Just about any of the clock parts suppliers can help you out with such parts as hands, chains and weights. Carving parts is a different story. Perhaps an ebay search may turn up a cheap basket case clock with the missing carvings.
    Try
    www.timesavers.com
    for your parts.
    You may also want to consider having a clock repairman do this work for you. If you have no clock repair experience, a cuckoo may not be the best "first clock" to start with.
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Thank you for that good information. Do you have any suggestions as to where I might find more information on the history of my particular clock? At least when it was made. Thank you so much for your time.

Sailor

Sailor, I can't find any better information on the Cuckoo Clock Manufacturing Company than what is found in this thread.
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

What a fascinating thread; I recently bought a tambour-style mantel clock at a yard sale equipped with a strike-chime movement marked "Cuckoo Clock Mfg. Co." on the back plate. I had never heard of that company, and I was struck by the name of the company in light of the fact that it was a mantel clock!
    Doug Haeussler, NAWCC #0167553 - Prescott Valley, AZ

Default Re: History of Cuckoo Clock Mfg Co. (RE: cazboy)

Looks to me like they mainly imported German clocks and/or movements for a while. We have a Linden-branded wall clock that is actually an Urgos but the movement is stamped with Cuckoo Clock Mfg. Co. and made in Germany.
    I have a standard size 400 day clock made by Kundo that also has Cuckoo Clock Mfg. Co. stamped on the back plate. However, I do have a Linden wall clock that is 31 day and has a Japanese movement. No mention of Cuckoo Clock Mfg. Co. on that one, however.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Linden.jpg   KundoBig.jpg   regulator.jpg  
    Last edited by NECCnut; 08-03-2010 at 12:22 AM. Reason: clarity
    Steve Fierz
    sdfstudios.com

I can't give you info on the Schulman family but I can certainly tell you a lot about Cuckoo Clock Mfg. My father, Fred Gold, in the 1960's and 1970's, was one of the owners of Cuckoo Clock Mfg, along w/ Max Adler. One other minority partner was Walter Fleischer. My father died in 1980. Max Adler is alive and well and enjoying his retirement. Personally, I worked for the clock company from 1979 through 2009.

Where did the name "Linden" come from? The company wanted a brand name for their clocks. Cuckoo Clocks were made from the wood of the Linden tree. Thus the name Linden.

Cuckoo Clock Mfg (on some of the mechanical movements you often saw the initials CCM standing for Cuckoo Clock Mfg.) started with cuckoo clocks but branched into a full line of clocks (with the exception of grandfather clocks). The company also carried a line of music boxes that were sold to gift and jewlery stores across the USA. Cuckoo Clock Mfg. / Linden was always known as an innovative company and a company with great integrity. It was a real American success story.

The company changed ownership several times in the mid to late 1980's. It was sold to Colibri in 1991. Colibri later bought the brand name SETH THOMAS and much of the clock offerings were sold under the SETH THOMAS name as opposed to the Linden name. Colibri went out of business in January of 2009. Colibri is back in business - owned now by a company called Alliance Time (based in New York). Most of the clocks they sell now are under the Seth Thomas name. I do believe they own the Linden brand name.

Default Re: History of Cuckoo Clock Mfg Co. (RE: Gold)

Very interesting, Gold. I have some interest in Linden, as well, since we own a Cuckoo Clock Mfg. Co. 400 day clock (Kundo made) and a Linden weight-driven wall clock (with an Urgos movement) AND a Linden 31-day store regulator clock made in Japan. All clocks are quality, still running, and I am very happy with them.
    Steve Fierz
    sdfstudios.com