Month's Goal: $300, Received: $350.00 - (117%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2962 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Urgos grandfather escapement

Hi, guys,

Got an Urgos grandfather clock with one of those self-adjusting escapements which appears to have gone out of whack. The movement has been cleaned, lubed etc, but it runs as before -- gaining maybe 20 minutes a day. I've checked out the weights, wear, suspension and all the usual suspects but don't see anything. The pendulum swing seems very narrow but that might be typical for this kind of movement -- I've not seen one before.
    If the escapement unit is shot, can it be repaired? Is there anywhere that will sell me another one?

Regards,

TonyR.

Default Urgos grandfather escapement (RE: TonyR)

Hi, guys,

Got an Urgos grandfather clock with one of those self-adjusting escapements which appears to have gone out of whack. The movement has been cleaned, lubed etc, but it runs as before -- gaining maybe 20 minutes a day. I've checked out the weights, wear, suspension and all the usual suspects but don't see anything. The pendulum swing seems very narrow but that might be typical for this kind of movement -- I've not seen one before.
    If the escapement unit is shot, can it be repaired? Is there anywhere that will sell me another one?

Regards,

TonyR.

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Hi, Tony. Usually if the auto beat setter is not working, the clock will not stay in beat, and will stop. The escape wheels on these have such small teeth, there is not much room for wear. I don't know if you can get new wheels for these, but replacement of the whole movement is a viable option.
    Harold
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

I've found the problem with these movements is a power loss due to poor pivot quality. Unfortunately, just cleaning and re-oiling isn't going to solve the problem. The movement is made with plated steels and, once the plating starts to let go, the only solutions are to replace the pivots or replace the movement.

Here is a picture of a plated pivot in which the plating is flaking off...

Harold's suggestion of installing a new movement might be the way to go. Butterworth Clocks might have what you need if you decide to go that route.

Good luck with it!

Before giving up on the movement, I have found that the escape wheel teeth wear down and you have a chance to lower the anchor a bit so that the e/w teeth are not landing on the bevel portions of the anchor. See if you can adjust it first before throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

Jeff Major

Hey Guys,

If I read the post correctly the clock is running but gaining about 20 minutes a day.What else can you do to slow it down but lower the pendulem bob?

Regards, Dutch
    Dutch

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If I read the post correctly the clock is running but gaining about 20 minutes a day.What else can you do to slow it down but lower the pendulem bob? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dutch, a very common ailment of this movement is what TonyR has given us. A very small swing and a gain of about 20 min/day. This all points to the e/w teeth landing on the bevel portion of the Deadbeat escapement. It is caused by the teeth wearing down or wear on the e/w pivots. If he looks at the escapement under magnification (unless he has the fortune of having great vision) he will see this. Sometimes lowering the anchor will buy some time before the e/w or entire movement has to be replaced/overhauled. I've had good success doing this.

Jeff Major

Hello Jeff,

Thanks for the explanation,I have learned a lot from reading the replys on this message board.I have found that this movement cannot have any wear in the pivot hole for the pallet arbor and have made a couple run by bushing that hole.

I had a thread running about hairsprings and got no answers about wheather changing from steel to bronze hairsprings of the same thickness would make a difference in timekeeping? I would like to throw that question out again.

Regards, Dutch
    Dutch