Month's Goal: $300, Received: $240.00 - (80%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1348 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ollie Baker Mainspring Winder

How in the world do you use one of these things taking out and putting in springs with barrels using the supplied sleeths? Is there a website that shows steps? This could be mighty dangerous.

tick

Default Re: Ollie Baker Mainspring Winder (RE: ticktock)

Tick,

Mike Murray's website has what you need.
    See item 73.
    Click Here

Steve Chapter 168

What do you not understand? You insert the chosen sleeve onto the winder facing of course - the open side of the barrel. You then wind the spring until the sleeve fits over it. You do this of course, using a gloved hand to hold the barrel as you wind. The sleeve is then inserted into the barrel awaiting capture of the spring. The spring of course is placed into the slot in the sleeve near the barrel tang. I usually give mine (sleeve) about a ten, fifteen degree extra twist to leave ample spring stub outside the sleeve. Now your gloved hand, still holding the barrel will slowly let down into the sleeve. To remove spring from barrel, rotate a few degrees opposite winding direction and pull out of barrel. Now install spring with sleeve back to winder and insert one of them "J" hooks into hole in spring stub protruding from sleeve. Now wind spring until sleeve can be removed. Unwind and remove spring.
    Congrats! You're done.
    If that's not clear, tell me. I'll make you some pictures. Or: Tell me what part you do not understand. That glove part may sound a tad scary but after you've tried it you'll realize it's not scary and that you do have complete control of the barrel with only that gloved hand.
    [edit=1258=1199946115][/edit]

Blog Entries

Eye protection is a good idea too.I use a glove and i see some that dont.If something happens and that spring slips or something, you may go to the emergency for stitches.Not trying to scare you but be aware of the hazards.After you use it a few times it will get much easier to use.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Thanks for the info Scottie. Rather than put a lengthy reply if you could include some pics it would be helpful. I am not sure on the size of the sleeve in relation to the barrel. Should the sleeve be smaller than the barrel so as to fit inside the barrel to capture the spring? Also how to get the tang of the spring from outside of the sleeve back onto the capture point of the barrel has me thinking how this is done. I have done this many times with no success that the tang may break. Pics would shed light.

tick

Quote Originally Posted by ticktock
    Thanks for the info Scottie. Rather than put a lengthy reply if you could include some pics it would be helpful. I am not sure on the size of the sleeve in relation to the barrel. Should the sleeve be smaller than the barrel so as to fit inside the barrel to capture the spring? Also how to get the tang of the spring from outside of the sleeve back onto the capture point of the barrel has me thinking how this is done. I have done this many times with no success that the tang may break. Pics would shed light.

tick
    Tick,

You have to use a sleeve smaller than the inside diameter of the barrel and just a bit larger than the fully compressed size of the spring.
    Scottie gave a good description of the process.

Tom

[colour=blue]“Sometimes you really don’t know if your being rewarded or punished”[/colour]
    "Find a need and fill it". Henry J. Kaiser

Registered user.

Quote Originally Posted by ticktock
    How in the world do you use one of these things taking out and putting in springs with barrels using the supplied sleeths? Is there a website that shows steps? This could be mighty dangerous.

tick
    This is the Bergeon one I use and included some pics on how I install Hermle mainsprings.

Use gloves.

I use a size under the norm for these because then the barrel fits over the lot.

I leave about two inches out and then hold this remaining bit down, then push the barrel over the lot and hook it onto the end of the mainspring then wind it into the barrel.

Hope this clarifies winding mainsprings into barrel a bit.

PICTURES ARE BACKWARD ORDER SORRY.

Not even in backward order

Just follow the numbers ...
    [edit=1796=1199981965][/edit]
    [edit=1796=1199982135][/edit]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rotary_B_Forest4ebay_M_springwinding 030.jpg   Rotary_B_Forest4ebay_M_springwinding 031.jpg   Rotary_B_Forest4ebay_M_springwinding 033.jpg   Rotary_B_Forest4ebay_M_springwinding 034.jpg  

Thanks OldTicker!! Going to try it now.

Best Regards,

tick

tick,

Please be aware that the Bergeon and Ollie Baker work different. With the Bergeon (shown by oldticker) you wind the spring into the capture sleeve. With the Ollie Baker, you wind the spring up using the J hook and then slip the sleeve over it. Then you place the captured spring in the clock barrel as Scottie describes.
    David Robertson - Kingsland, TX

Ticktock,

I have a 10 minute video showing the use of a mainspring winder. Send me a PM with your mailing address and I will send you a copy.

Joe

OldTicker and Joe,
    here is a picture of my mainspring problem. I have greased the spring and now it is in the sleeve ready to put back into the box but how as the picture shows!

tickClick Here
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_1958.jpg  

Ticktok, what you need to do is to make/obtain a substitute arbor to wind up the spring and get it inside the sleeve. Put the spring in the barrel. Remove the sleeve by rewinding the spring. Once the sleeve is removed, unwind the spring inside its barrel. Then remove the substitute arbor, and attach the main wheel and its arbor to the spring inside the spring barrel.

[edit=3404=1200068699][/edit]
    -------Tony-------
    Arizona Clock Repair

Blog Entries

I have seen these on some of my german clocks and wondered how someone would remove and assemble these.The wheel is at the rear of the movement? Interesting.

I believe these are a variation of going barrels.
    [edit=3404=1200070938][/edit]
    -------Tony-------
    Arizona Clock Repair

Blog Entries

I need to learn a lot more about clocks Tony.I have no idea what make or kind of clock this would be used in?