Month's Goal: $300, Received: $110.00 - (37%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2433 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cuckoo Lift Wires

Some times I get a cuckoo clock in for repairs that the customer has lost the bellows top and the lift wires. I put new bellows on the top of the bellows.

I would like to know how long to make the lift wires. I manage to evenually get them correct. This takes too long.

Can anyone tell me how long to make the wires on the first setting??

Registered user.

Default Re: Cuckoo Lift Wires (RE: Cuckoo348)

I think the only way is to copy one you have already and keep them in stock for the next repair.

Some are different depending on the type of movement and case size as you know.

But can you tell me the correct material to use. Seems like every one I make is too heavy.

Rusty
    [edit=6727=1196122374][/edit]

Registered user.

1mm diameter soft iron or steel wire. I've been a bit lucky so far in that I have been able to use wires from old clocks bought cheap for spares.

You can buy them at timesavers pretty cheep.

When the lift lever is at it's highest point. hold the bellows top in the up position and measure the length required. That would be the length of the wire required. By the up position, I mean up, but not tight. The bellows top just needs to have sufficent fall distance to work properly, and the wire shouldn't be pushing it to it's limits.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by swankyman
    You can buy them at timesavers pretty cheep.
    Right. Buy one of those cuckoo wire assortments (TS # 11209). Later on, you can fabricate your own. Above advice on determining length is correct.

bangster
    1. Check out the REPAIR HINTS & HOW-TO's forum! Click Here.

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

As long as you get it close, you can fine tune by bending the lift levers. The assortment pack from Timesavers is usually pretty good for size on the common cuckoos
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Gordon. No

My wire comes off a roll. > ship a maybee I hope it's in there from Az to NY

I'm with you and have found the trial and error method to be the most sucessful. The wide range of bellows and lift wire is astounding.

Cuckoo's are not a speed fix clock.

I do mine like Bill V Then tweak, tweak, tweak. Brand New clocks often need to be tweaked.

A small adjustment can be made by bending the lift lever. Use caution they can break (try two needle nose)

Good Luck

Registered user.

Bill is right.
    I cannot imagine selling some bits of wire with a few bends in them!
    Mike - banned member of the throwaway society.

I don't believe in bending lift levers. Prefer to adjust the lifting wire. I make my own now, but when starting out I was happy to have Timesavers' help.

bangster

I can imagine how difficult it must be to get the lift wires exactly the correct length if you don't bend the lift levers for final adjustment!

I have an assortment of lift wires from Black Forrest and just use two that are close. I keep them as-is and, once I have the wires installed, I bend the lift levers so the bellows are lifted comfortably and provide the correct sound. Both bellows are not lifted the same amount but will need to be adjusted so the "cuck" is short and the "cooo" is long. The sound is "cuck, breath, coo". This sort of fine tuning can only be done by bending the lift levers.

A wire bending tool will make this job much easier since there is very little room for pliers.

Hope that helps!

Once again I bow to LaBounty's experience. From now on I'll be a-bendin' them levers.

bangster

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Labounty's method is what I use. You can make a handy wire bending tool by taking an old, small (not a jewellers type-bigger than this) screwdriver and cutting off the blade, then cutting a slot in the shank (a dremel cut-off tool works great for this) that the wire will fit in. The slot should be about 3/8 inch deep. Then just twist to bend
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

I don't mean to encourage folks to do something they're not comfortable doing so it may be best to practice before applying this to a customer's clock. The proper technique is to slightly lift the lever before bending. This will avoid damaging the "hammer" tail or the lift pins.

The lift levers should be bent so they won't interfere with one another and can't come into contact with the crutch foot. And they are also adjusted for the best sound and bellows lift, as described in the previous post. These adjustments are standard practice when installing a new cuckoo movement since the lift levers are not properly adjusted right out of the box.

Hope that helps.