Month's Goal: $300, Received: $350.00 - (117%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2955 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Homemade ultrasonic cleaning solution recipe wanted.

I'm looking for good recipes for ultrasonic cleaning solutions.

One for general parts like cases and bracelets.

Another for movement parts.

Finally, any decent recipes for general jewelry such as gold rings, earrings, chains etc.

Any surefire recipes?

Default Homemade ultrasonic cleaning solution recipe wanted. (RE: rlxdeusirae)

I'm looking for good recipes for ultrasonic cleaning solutions.

One for general parts like cases and bracelets.

Another for movement parts.

Finally, any decent recipes for general jewelry such as gold rings, earrings, chains etc.

Any surefire recipes?

Blog Entries

rix,

Most home-made cleaning solutions use a water base. That you have not had answers regarding a water based solution for cleaning watch movements doesn't surprise me! I use household cleaners and water in an ultrasonic for cases and bracelets. But when I comes to water based solutions for cleaning either watch or clock movements, I don't use them! Others may recommend water based solutions for cleaning clock movements. But for watch movements? I doubt it. And if anyone does, proceed cautiously!

For cleaning wrist-watch parts I am currently using something called -- "petroleum distillate N.O.S. UN 1268" -- which seems to clean and de-grease fine, (comments anyone ?)-- otherwise known in UK as "lighter fluid".

I tried an alcohol based fluid but got rusty parts presumbly due to a small water content.

dan

When you use lighter fluid in cleaning watches, you are playing with fire, or at least a strong possibility of fire. Lighter fluid is has a very low flash point. It is designed this way so that it will ignite from a small spark in the lighter.

Commerical watch cleaning solutions are based on about 75% Stoddard solvent (paint thinner) and 25% VM&P Naphta. These have a higher flash point and are more difficult to ignite. They are still a fire danger, but not so nearly so as light fluid. You need good quality materials that will not leave impurities behind when they evaporate. Commercial cleaners also containe non-ionic detergents for oils and greases and other materials to dissolve metal oxides to brighten the metal. You cannot make these cleaners in small quantities for even twice the price. I do make my own rinse using the Stoddard solvent and Naptha, but it took me a while to find good brands, but I buy commercial cleaner.

Don