Month's Goal: $300, Received: $120.00 - (40%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2484 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default WestClox Pocket Watches, are they worth it?!

Hi everyone

I found these two WestClox pocket watches, and I thought are they worth repairing, or not?! That's all.
    Justin A. Olson

Blog Entries

Default Re: WestClox Pocket Watches, are they worth it?! (RE: chimeclockfan)

NO

Depends what you like to collect. Ed and I worked with a collector up in Binghamton, NY who got a big kick out of getting his dollar watches fixed up and running.
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Every watch is collectable. It just depends upon what a person's interests are. If you can repair it yourself, then go ahead.

Tom

My problem is, is that the back end won't come off. The watches are,

A "DAX" model and a "POCKET BEN". Were these able to be repaired very easily?
    Justin A. Olson

It depends on your interest. we used to have a regular customer who got a lot of them done up. some people say they are a lot harder to repair though, if anything major is wrong they are designed to be tossed.
    However, my ingersoll mickey is one of my favorites

I say go with your heart.

*EMMA*

I think your answer depends on what your reason for repair is ... a sentimental attachment to the watch, or realizing a monetary return on your time and effort.

Fred
    Fred Hansen
    NAWCC #109682

Does anyone know when the "Bull's Eye" series was made?

Robert

I bought one brand new in a discount store in Buffalo in 1972. I think that they were $1.98 at the time. The Westclox "Scotty" brand was $2.98, or maybe $3.98 at the same time, but that was in a jewelry store.
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Kent,
    Thank you. I bought an used "Bull's Eye" last week for 5 bucks. It loses about 3 minutes in 24 hours.

Robert

"I found these two WestClox pocket watches, and I thought are they worth repairing, or not?! That's all."

John,
    "There's a seat for every saddle" is a quote I learned when I sold trash culled from the Berkeley dump.
    "Whatever floats your boat' comes to mind too. There are folks who collect refridgerator doors and some who collect rubber dog poop. Westclox watches are starting to look better by the moment eh?

Buy what you enjoy in the best condition you can afford but, in my opinion, the standard models will not repay the effort invested in restoring them any time soon.
    -Cort

I am a self taught hobbyist who enjoys repairing watches. Where I have not ventured into the more valuable models, I got my start by buying broken dollar watches and geting them to work. They are far more forgiving with novice hands. I have a desk drawer full of them. They sure make a racket when you wind them all up and let them run.
    Another dollar type watch that seems to get little press are the Ingersoll line of Reliant and Trenton watches. They are obviously a little higher quality than the Westclox. I see them more as an ancient Timex.

Mark A. Holmes