Month's Goal: $300, Received: $315.00 - (105%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2583 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Alaron Korean Movement

I have this movement in my shop and it is driving me crazy. I have cleaned, re-bushed four pivot holes and lubricated it. I put it in beat and it will run for about 2or3 minutes. Then the verge wil rock back and forth in the same teeth. The escapement wheel does not move. I move the escapement wheel a couple of teeth and it will continue to run for the 2 or 3 minutes and starts to rock between two teeth. Not the same teeth as before.

Can any one help me??

"Doc Clock"

Default Re: Alaron Korean Movement (RE: Cuckoo348)

You are losing power to the escape wheel. Often this is caused by depth problem between a wheel and a pinion. Sometimes this is caused by a worn bushing. You'll now need to unpower the springs and hunt the mismeshing culprits. I know. Easier said than done.

Gordon,considering you did everything right I would re-check my beat and also check for too much lock on your pallets.Actually that is a common problem when re-starting a rebuilt movement,nothing out of the ordinary.I would crank up my pendulum and give that movement a little bit of tilt out of level both ways and see if that helps the movement substain itself.If so you were probably out of beat when the movement was level.Just bend your crutch in the direction you tilted the movement and then re-level it.you may have to do that a of couple of times before you're happy with the results.
    Bob Fullerton

In all probability, your assessment is correct, RM.
    If indeed the escape wheel is not moving though - I directed my analysis to this statement;
    The escapement wheel does not move

Quote Originally Posted by Scottie-TX
    In all probability, your assessment is correct, RM.
    If indeed the escape wheel is not moving though - I directed my analysis to this statement;
    The escapement wheel does not move
    You are correct ole buddy but I will tell you that more than once I've run into escapement problems with the same symptons and have found that either the entry or exit pallet was laying on a tooth barely noticeable because the two pallets were not equal on both sides,that is one side having more lock than the other due to the movement being out of beat making it look like the escape wheel is lacking power.I guess the best thing for our friend to do is to let down the mainspring, pull the pallet assembly out and see if the remaining train provides sufficient power to fire up the escape wheel.I will tell you that my advice is based on the assumption that the fella asking the question put his wheels in to test the endshake on his new bushings as a precaution before making the final assembly.After I bush I put my movement together with the wheels that I have rebushed and check for endshake and I give the wheels a spin to make sure they rotate properly.If that is not checked prior to final assembly there is certainly a good probability that a pivot in the time train may very well be binding in its perspective bushing hole robbing the escape wheel of power.
    Bob Fullerton ,

Very similar to my approach. Probably most if not all do the same. Probably as you do, my acid test is to put train in motion and see how long it flywheels - how long it spins after power is removed. One that stops quickly CERTAINLY has a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottie-TX
    Very similar to my approach. Probably most if not all do the same. Probably as you do, my acid test is to put train in motion and see how long it flywheels - how long it spins after power is removed. One that stops quickly CERTAINLY has a problem.
    I certainly concur with that Scottie.I like to see those wheels come to a gradual stop as opposed to the air brake type of wheel stop.As you said that's not a good sign.
    Bob Fullerton

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Gordon, you have a clock with thin plates and powerful springs. If you replaced bushings on the time side, your bushings may now be too tight. Let the spring down, remove the verge, and see how quick it takes off with a couple of clicks on the ratchet.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Gordon--
    Have you tried locating in the train to see if there is any binding? That is, with spring wound up, hold your escape wheel still with a thumb or finger, and gently rock back and forth the wheel just before it. It will rock a little bit if it is not in a bind at its bushing or pivot hole. If it rocks ok, then hold that one still, and go to next wheel in the train, while holding the previous tested wheel, and rock again. Continue until you find where you can no longer rock a wheel (other than the first), and that will be most likely your problem area (i.e., the wheel that won't rock is the one that is in a bind). This test must be done with power applied to the train.
    By putting the train under power, if there is any sideshake in any hole it will cause the wheel to shift sideways in the hole, changing the depthing of that wheel to either wheel before or after it. If, while in rebushing it you get the hole slightly off-center, this will also cause a depthing problem. By using this method, it can help you quickly locate where the problem lies. With no power to the train, or letting it freewheel, the problem is more difficult to locate. FWIW....................................doc
    http://precisionclockandwatch.com
    http://precisionclockandwatch.blogspot.com

Exodus 31:6 "...and I have given to all able men ability, that they may make all that I have commanded you."