Goal: $300, Received: $90.00 (30%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Changing Sehwa (Korean) 31 Day Mainsprings (By: harold bain)

Harold...I DID see...hence the modification to the winder. Like the Energizer bunny when winding down these springs they keep going..and going..and going....
    David S

Indeed a great idea David. I have printed off the picture and will do the same to my Joe Collins winder. (Harold) at the next local chapter meeting I will indeed stick around as I believe the topic is french clock movements, that can prove tricky and troublesome.

Registered user.

Default Re: Changing Sehwa (Korean) 31 Day Mainsprings (By: David S)

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Tinker I have worked on lot's of these and decided to add an attachement to the Joe Collins winder to help contain these huge springs. See pic.

Attachment 146491
    Hi David
    I did something similar to my winder. I drilled two holes below the arbor in the base
    plate and put two rods in them. I've not had them tend to wonder out the other side
    so I just do the one side.
    Didn't think much of it at the time, just didn't like holding my hand anywhere near
    the spring in case it should let go.
    Tinker Dwight

Registered user.

Default Re: Changing Sehwa (Korean) 31 Day Mainsprings (By: David S)

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Hi Tinker,

Actually I just finished working on one. I will include a picture of the front of the movement. The silver pieces on each side of the bottom plate, under the nuts, keep the springs biased outward.
    Attachment 146490
    Haaa, those things. Now I see, yes. These need to be removed first. Thanks for the pictures David.
    Tinker Dwight

Default Re: Changing Sehwa (Korean) 31 Day Mainsprings (By: Tinker Dwight)

That's one style of retainer. Another type is just two bars that slip in the plates. You have to let the springs down after getting things back together to put them in.

Registered user.

Quote Originally Posted by harold bain View Post
    There are extra steps needed to let these springs down. First, let them down far enough to remove the steel bars under the fixing nuts that force the spring out from the movement. Then wind up again, and tie them up, then let them down into your wire (or clamps). If you don't take the bars off first, you will have a problem getting the springs out, as Gooseup discovered.
    Richard, if you have a spring winder, you need to take extra care to keep the springs from going sideways as you wind them. Make sure you have one hand around the spring in the winder.
    Putting the springs back in, once you have the movement back together, wind the springs to remove the restraint, then let them down far enough to put the bar back in, then wind fully.

excuse me,what is the "steel bars" ?
    can you show me a picture ?

many thanks !

lirenrui

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: Changing Sehwa (Korean) 31 Day Mainsprings (By: lirenrui)

See picture in post 12, and look at the two silver pieces attached to the movement posts at the bottom.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Registered user.

Quote Originally Posted by harold bain View Post
    See picture in post 12, and look at the two silver pieces attached to the movement posts at the bottom.
    I see,thank you very much !

lirenrui

Great Idea. Contain the power. No need getting hurt. Kind of like the cage around large tires so you don't get hurt.
    Al's Clock Repair
    Repairing Clocks takes Time

Default Re: Changing Sehwa (Korean) 31 Day Mainsprings (By: hookster)

This is an interseting post. I have a Statue of Liberty clock made in 1986-87 with a Korean movement. Anyway, everything was thin about this clock movement. Then one of the gears side slipped off the other gear and the strike spring literally exploded in front of me. Scared the crap out of me. My wife heard it and asked what it was. More exciting than a grandfather weight free falling 5 feet.

I found another movement and just swapped it.

Default Re: Changing Sehwa (Korean) 31 Day Mainsprings (By: sandcastcb750)

Sand I have one of those statue of liberty clocks ticking away like a time bomb on the wall right now. I just pulled out the movement and did just a basic inspection of it oiled and ajusted. The springs were coated with a thick black grease like moly-coat. The clock keeps great time but I have heard the springs slip after running for awhile. Just waiting for the explosion. American statue of libery commemortive clock made in Korea Huh
    Al's Clock Repair

Default Re: Changing Sehwa (Korean) 31 Day Mainsprings (By: hdsoftail03)

Quote Originally Posted by hdsoftail03 View Post
    Sand I have one of those statue of liberty clocks ticking away like a time bomb on the wall right now. I just pulled out the movement and did just a basic inspection of it oiled and ajusted. The springs were coated with a thick black grease like moly-coat. The clock keeps great time but I have heard the springs slip after running for awhile. Just waiting for the explosion. American statue of libery commemortive clock made in Korea Huh
    Well, the original Statue of Liberty wasn't made in America either. Sounds like it's time to bite the bullet and clean that puppy's springs before it bites you.
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Harold it's Not going to bite me as the clock is not worth much anyway. Let it explode the trash can is ready.
    Al's Clock Repair

Default Re: Changing Sehwa (Korean) 31 Day Mainsprings (By: hdsoftail03)

Quote Originally Posted by hdsoftail03 View Post
    Harold it's Not going to bite me as the clock is not worth much anyway. Let it explode the trash can is ready.
    Yeah, but it's likely to let go while you are winding it. Keep the gloves on, and you'll be OK.
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Harold, you are correct about that winding those Liberty clocks. It has a real funky uneven feeling about it when winding. Maybe someday the key will become a spinning helicopter in the air.