Month's Goal: $300, Received: $235.00 - (78%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 785 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Changing Sehwa (Korean) 31 Day Mainsprings

A friend at work asked me to look at his wall clock which turned out to be a Korean 31 day made by Sehwa. It has two broken mainsprings which I am going to replace with Timesavers part number 14203 (3/4” x .015” x 170”).

Having never worked on a 31 day movement before is there anything I need to know about changing the mainsprings? I have worked on many American and European open and barrel spring movements before and am familiar with the procedures to change the springs.

I would appreciate any advice or opinions anyone could provide.

Richard.

Default Re: Changing Sehwa (Korean) 31 Day Mainsprings (RE: Richard Barkey)

The main difference is that your spring is 14 feet long and is a monster to control You'll need to clean and grease the new springs before use. Some of the 31 day clocks have an extra bar that the spring wraps around. Be sure you put them back in. They only look useless Other than that, they are not much different than the standard 8 day variety. These springs are more dangerous than the shorter 8-day springs, so gloves and goggles are a good idea.

A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Default Re: Changing Sehwa (Korean) 31 Day Mainsprings (RE: Richard Barkey)

These springs are very powerfull, and the plates of some of these clocks aren't very strong. I have seen some plates bent because of the strength of the springs. I know of some repairpersons who wil not work on these because of the potential danger.

Larry Pearson, FNAWCC* #35863
    Larry Pearson, FNAWCC* #35863

Default Re: Changing Sehwa (Korean) 31 Day Mainsprings (RE: lpbp)

i also have two korean time pieces,they are now apart,i tryed the clamps?took off the top plate,it made a load pop then it banged all the gears out,the springs are still on the clamps,WHAT can i do NOW?i have cuts on my fingers from these springs,how can i put it back together now?

Default Re: Changing Sehwa (Korean) 31 Day Mainsprings (RE: gooseup)

The springs are long but actually not any stronger than average. Only problem is that the extra bulk of the super long springs doesn't leave much room for the clamps. Good solution is to use iron 'tie' wire instead of the usual clips, hose clamps are good too.

Many folks have trouble with open springs because they want to clamp them in the fully wound condition. This is actually opposite to what needs to be done. The spring should be clamped, or wired, in the relaxed condition, about where it would be after running 7 or 8 days. This will allow much easier dis-assembly and reassembly.

Willie X

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: Changing Sehwa (Korean) 31 Day Mainsprings (RE: Willie X)

There are extra steps needed to let these springs down. First, let them down far enough to remove the steel bars under the fixing nuts that force the spring out from the movement. Then wind up again, and tie them up, then let them down into your wire (or clamps). If you don't take the bars off first, you will have a problem getting the springs out, as Gooseup discovered.
    Richard, if you have a spring winder, you need to take extra care to keep the springs from going sideways as you wind them. Make sure you have one hand around the spring in the winder.
    Putting the springs back in, once you have the movement back together, wind the springs to remove the restraint, then let them down far enough to put the bar back in, then wind fully.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: Changing Sehwa (Korean) 31 Day Mainsprings (RE: harold bain)

Richard,

You may see secondary damage in that movement. When the springs broke, the rest of the wheels in both trains were shocked. This is not to mention the damage to the hand that was trying to wind the clock when the springs broke.

There is a strong possibility you will find: bent arbors on the second wheels: teeth missing or bent on the first wheels: teeth missing or bent on the second wheel pinions; bent arbors on the second wheels; bent arbors on the third wheels; and teeth damaged or missing on the third wheel pinions.

In the USA, we have all sorts of laws protecting consumers from dangerous products but those potentially hazardous clock movements have been allowed to enter the country for years. We are protected from flaws and poor manufacturing procedures with autos, baby products, appliances, etc. but not those clock movements. They should have been stopped at our borders and sent back to their country of origin.

I am one of those who refuses to submit myself to the potential dangers of working on that type movement. The risk of injury and liability are much greater than the few dollars generated.

Best,

Dick Feldman

Default Re: Changing Sehwa (Korean) 31 Day Mainsprings (RE: Dick Feldman)

I'm a bit perplexed. If the springs were captured with clamps, there couldn't have been enough power to throw gears around the room. I'm guessing that they weren't completely let down. Perhaps the clamps were pressing against pinions and deceptively looked like they were capturing the springs power when they really weren't. Some pictures of what you have would help at this point. We can help you sort out where the gears go if needed.

Default Re: Changing Sehwa (Korean) 31 Day Mainsprings (RE: shutterbug)

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
    I'm a bit perplexed. If the springs were captured with clamps, there couldn't have been enough power to throw gears around the room. I'm guessing that they weren't completely let down. Perhaps the clamps were pressing against pinions and deceptively looked like they were capturing the springs power when they really weren't. Some pictures of what you have would help at this point. We can help you sort out where the gears go if needed.
    If he didn't take off the steel bars before taking the movement apart, it would fly apart when he tried to remove the plate. It would not be fully let down.
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

First of all, good to see you again on Saturday at the local Toronto NAWCC Meeting. As usual, I bought a bunch of stuff, much of which I probably didn't really need. I have saved your instructions for letting down these movements as I have never worked on one, and have always been a bit afraid of 31 day main springs. Also, if you are ever in the Schomberg area let me know, as you would be welcome to drop by and see my modest little work area, as well as to 'talk clocks'.
    Last edited by hookster; 09-24-2012 at 02:15 PM.

Registered user.

Quote Originally Posted by harold bain View Post
    If he didn't take off the steel bars before taking the movement apart, it would fly apart when he tried to remove the plate. It would not be fully let down.
    Hi Harold
    I've taken a couple of 31 day movements apart and don't recall any problems
    but obviously not the same type .
    Do you or anyone have any pictures of the mentions bars? It looks like a problem
    to look out for.
    Thanks
    Tinker Dwight

Default Re: Changing Sehwa (Korean) 31 Day Mainsprings (RE: Tinker Dwight)

Hi Tinker,

Actually I just finished working on one. I will include a picture of the front of the movement. The silver pieces on each side of the bottom plate, under the nuts, keep the springs biased outward.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front movement.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	127.3 KB 
ID:	146490
    David S

Default Re: Changing Sehwa (Korean) 31 Day Mainsprings (RE: David S)

Thanks, David, good picture.
    Hookster, you should have stuck around. There was a great presentation on how to bevel glass.
    Tinker, they are not that bad to work on, but you need a good spring winder to be able to do the springs.
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Tinker I have worked on lot's of these and decided to add an attachement to the Joe Collins winder to help contain these huge springs. See pic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	large spring containment.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	143.8 KB 
ID:	146491
    Last edited by David S; 09-24-2012 at 03:40 PM. Reason: add pic
    David S

Default Re: Changing Sehwa (Korean) 31 Day Mainsprings (RE: David S)

Great idea, David. You don't want to see what happens when those springs jump out sideways at you.
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"