Month's Goal: $300, Received: $350.00 - (117%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2436 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Marine Chronometer Repair

Hello-I have a chrononmeter that I would like to get repaired. It says on the chrono face 'VERSGLASHOTTER UHRENBET RIEBE'. I believe it is vintage WW2, gold hands and until recently ran fine. However when I last went to wind it-I felt like the key was just turning without it's customary resistance which leads me to believe that the only thing wrong is connected with the wind up mechanism (please note I know nothing about intricate watch mechanics and this is only a guess). I brought the chronometer to a watch repair facility in Fort Lauderdale where I live and was quoted a 3900 expected quote which I thought was outrageous and totally beyond reason. If anyone who reads this knows of any place in South Florida or any chrono enthusiastis that could guide me to a more reasonable repair person I would be greatly appreciative. Thanks! Chris

Default Re: Marine Chronometer Repair (RE: actanonverba)

I suspect repair facility misunderstood your request and instead, thought you wanted to offer the German chronometer for sale to the shopkeeper.

This scenario is one that actually happened a few years ago: a new chapter member called saying he'd bought a Mercer chronometer at a pawn shop for fifty dollars. He asked me where he could take it for repair. I suggested a ship outfitter in nearby San Pedro.

A couple of weeks later at a chapter meeting, the bargain hunter member thanked me for sending him off to the ship outfitter's shop. He said that he walked into the shop, set the chronometer on the counter saying only, "how much.....?" The shop owner looked over the chronometer for a few minutes and then said, *twenty-five hundred is the most I can give you!"

H.J. (Les) Lesovsky, Alhambra California

Quote Originally Posted by Eckmill
    I suspect repair facility misunderstood your request and instead, thought you wanted to offer the German chronometer for sale to the shopkeeper.

This scenario is one that actually happened a few years ago: a new chapter member called saying he'd bought a Mercer chronometer at a pawn shop for fifty dollars. He asked me where he could take it for repair. I suggested a ship outfitter in nearby San Pedro.

A couple of weeks later at a chapter meeting, the bargain hunter member thanked me for sending him off to the ship outfitter's shop. He said that he walked into the shop, set the chronometer on the counter saying only, "how much.....?" The shop owner looked over the chronometer for a few minutes and then said, *twenty-five hundred is the most I can give you!"

Thanks for your reply and I can only say that I should be so lucky! Unfortunately the store owner was clear to the point of almost being embarrased to quote me the repair cost-I think that the owner of the store owner was quoting for a complete overhaul at a Swiss facility etc. hence the rather large estimate.

Quote Originally Posted by actanonverba
    Hello-I have a chrononmeter that I would like to get repaired. It says on the chrono face 'VERSGLASHOTTER UHRENBET RIEBE'. I believe it is vintage WW2, gold hands and until recently ran fine. However when I last went to wind it-I felt like the key was just turning without it's customary resistance which leads me to believe that the only thing wrong is connected with the wind up mechanism (please note I know nothing about intricate watch mechanics and this is only a guess). I brought the chronometer to a watch repair facility in Fort Lauderdale where I live and was quoted a 3900 expected quote which I thought was outrageous and totally beyond reason. If anyone who reads this knows of any place in South Florida or any chrono enthusiastis that could guide me to a more reasonable repair person I would be greatly appreciative. Thanks! Chris
    Chris,you can try this fella.He always has some beautiful chronometers for sale.I always talk to him when I go to the local marts and all he repairs are Marine Chronometers.He's pretty well up there but still seems sharp as a tack.Give this guy a call if you get an opportunity.
    J.P. Connor& Co.
    Marine Chronometers
    James P. Connor
    P.O.Box 305
    Devon,Pa. 19333
    (610)644-1474
    Fax (610) 993-0760
    I hope this is of some help to you.
    Bob Fullerton

Thank you Bob!
    I will contact this gentleman and see what he can do!
    Appreciate the feedback!
    Regards,
    Chris

Acta, I believe the inscription on the chrono face more likely reads "Verglashütten Uhrenbetriebe". That means something like "Glassworks Watch(and clock)making Enterprises".

You will need to look elsewhere for the name of the maker.

Michael
    [edit=3032=1187401120][/edit]