Month's Goal: $300, Received: $35.00 - (12%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2582 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Screw on bush. Why??

Following on from this topic http://www.nawcc-mb.com/bbv2/bbBoard.cgi?a=viewthread;fid=1;gtid=243149, why was this type of screw on bush used? Depthing?

Cheers
    Peter

[edit=2156=1186394754][/edit]
    Cheers
    Peter R Lee: AKA (Pee-Tah) from Australia

Blog Entries

Default Re: Screw on bush. Why?? (RE: leeinv66)

Peter is this bushing used on other GB clocks?
    Maybe it is a replacement?
    Could you perhaps get a close up photo of this bushing?
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Yes they are used on other Vienna movements but more often on GBs. No, they're not replacement bushings. The arbor would need lengthened to reach it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scottie-TX
    Yes they are used on other Vienna movements but more often on GBs. No, they're not replacement bushings. The arbor would need lengthened to reach it.
    And the bushing is pinned so it can be removed and re-installed without changing its location.

I tried to transport the picture from the other thread, but couldn't. For some reason it saves in the wrong format. Anyone else know how to do this?

Cheers
    Peter

Cheers

These are EXTREMELY common on French clock movements, and other good quality German movements. I believe that they are used in cases where a certain wheel needs to be almost flush against the back (or front) plate. This "bushing" allows the corresponding pinion to be made to mesh closer to it's centre, without having to widen the depth between the clock movement's plates. Hope that explanation was clear enough.

Pee-Tah, Pee-Tah, PEE-TAH!
    What're we gonna do with you?
    You need to go back to "phishing 101" and start over.
    SHEESH!
    This site slower'n treacle tonite.
    Took forever to reach "browse", then choked on the upload and didn't post.
    [edit=1258=1186449852][/edit]

If it chokes again, I'll just wait a few hours til it crashes or gets bedder.
    Yep! Choked again. I quit for now. Site is hosed.
    Here: I'll do it myself: (if it don't choke on mine too)

[edit=1258=1186449988][/edit]
    [edit=1258=1186450188][/edit]

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sooth
    These are EXTREMELY common on French clock movements, and other good quality German movements. I believe that they are used in cases where a certain wheel needs to be almost flush against the back (or front) plate. This "bushing" allows the corresponding pinion to be made to mesh closer to it's centre, without having to widen the depth between the clock movement's plates. Hope that explanation was clear enough.
    Yea clear enough Sooth, I understand what you are saying. Still, in this movement, there is enough room to have moved the pivot closer to the pinion and kept everything within the plates. But your reply is the first logical reason I have read, so it very well may be the right reason. Anyone else have a theory?

Cheers
    Peter

Cheers

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scottie-TX
    Pee-Tah, Pee-Tah, PEE-TAH!
    What're we gonna do with you?
    You need to go back to "phishing 101" and start over.
    SHEESH!
    This site slower'n treacle tonite.
    Took forever to reach "browse", then choked on the upload and didn't post.
    Nah Scottie, I think it is more of a case that the MB just isn't up to doing (easily) what I am use to doing on other sites. Don't get me wrong, I love the MB, I just think it is a little dated in the way it functions.

Cheers

There he is:
    The mechanic blaming his tools again.

Blog Entries

What tools Scottie? All I've got is a hammer and chisel. Ifn I can't fix it with that, I list it on eBay

Cheers
    Pee-Tah
    Cheers

Yea clear enough Sooth, I understand what you are saying. Still, in this movement, there is enough room to have moved the pivot closer to the pinion and kept everything within the plates. But your reply is the first logical reason I have read, so it very well may be the right reason. Anyone else have a theory?
    There might be room, but the pendulum would either be inside the movement, or would have to be bent up and over the top like most "between the plates" verges. Could be they just didn't like that look, or didn't want to add another machine to the production line (to do the bending).
    If your question concerns the other one, further down ... I agree with you. Could have been inside and perhaps should have. I have run across lots of these on French clocks too and wondered if they were "added" by later repairmen.

[edit=3202=1186499696][/edit]

On a time and strike clock, I was told that this type of bushing will allow for adjustment of the strike, and that is how I use it. By removing the bush, one could easily adjust the strike by swinging the arbor it supports away from one of the wheels it engages, rotating it to the proper position so when it goes into strike, the strike hammer can be adjusted for its lift and strike. Then, re-engage the wheels, check for proper engagement in the strike, and put the bush back on (saves having to split the movement to adjust it).
    On time-only clocks, I have seen most of these on the minute arbor only, allowing for adjustment of the minute hand so that the hand is dead-on at the 12 for the hour. Most of the hands on clocks like these are not as easily adjustable like the newer Hermle's, Keininger, etc.
    That is how I have learned to use them, and use them as such when working on these movements.
    I would not equate these as "screw-on" bushings like the ones being sold today to avoid proper disassembly and repair of clocks.
    If you would carefully observe how these are placed on the movement, their thickness and same type of brass as is in the movement, you'll see that these were made at the same time of the movement, and placed purposefully there. In particular, on most French clocks, you will notice one mounted to the front of the movement for the wheel that engages the hour tube, it was not added later on by a repairman. So, it goes to show that these were not idly placed there, but with a purpose. If these were added by a later repairman, he would also have to lengthen the arbor to achieve proper support and mesh. That would be beyond the pale for most repairman who would attempt this type of repair.
    FWIW..........................doc
    [edit=1600=1186524597][/edit]
    [edit=1600=1186525334][/edit]
    http://precisionclockandwatch.com
    http://precisionclockandwatch.blogspot.com

Exodus 31:6 "...and I have given to all able men ability, that they may make all that I have commanded you."

Hmmm - that makes sense. Thanks, doc.

Blog Entries

Yea, thanks doc! I agree with shutterbug, that makes a lot of sense. However, I am not sure either reason explains why the screw on bush is used in this movement. It's time only, so that rules the first reason out and the bush is not on the minute arbor, so it can't be for setting the hand. ?

Cheers
    Peter
    Cheers