Month's Goal: $300, Received: $120.00 - (40%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2576 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Movado battery replaced - now it won't work!!

I replaced the battery in my Dad's Movado watch with the proper 371 battery. Now the second hand just twitches and essentially stays in place - watch not working.

Any ideas??

Luca

Default Re: Movado battery replaced - now it won't work!! (RE: Luca)

I assume that the watch worked fine before the battery ran down?
    If the watch was running normally before battery replacement it should be something simple like:
    Maybe the new battery is bad, or something was put back wrong during replacement. Is something binding when the watch back plate was put back on?
    Will it run with the back off?

Hi,
    It was working before the battery ran down. I've tried 2 new batteries. It doesn't run with the back off. Perhaps something was squashed a bit when the back was put back on - though it doesn't really look like it. I'd take the movement out of the case to see if I can get the hands started but I don't know how this type of crown comes out.

Luca

I assume it is a analog dial watch, not digital. Make sure the hands are not touching each other. There should be a detent near the stem. "a button or a screw that will release the detent." I have a cyclonic tester that induces a current magnetically into the motors to clear of jammed wheel. I only use this on a cheap movement (not worth fixing}.

For quartz watches with a digital display you will have to reset the display.

A common problem with quartz watches which do not run with a new battery is that there is corrosion on the battery contact. You don't say what caliber this watch uses, but if it uses a 371 then the chances are that it's one of the ESA 955 series. There should be a round black insulator under the battery contact and you need to be sure that this is in place and not damaged. The easiest way to clean the battery contact is with a fiberglass scratch brush, but if you don't have one then you may have to scrape it CAREFULLY with a sharp screwdriver blade or something similar. Be careful also not to damage the insulator. Sometimes the corrosion on the contact is hard to see, but a good contact should be bright and shiny.

Thanks to both of you for your replies --- I'll give these suggestions a shot and let you know.

Luca

If the watch was working fine why did you change the battery?

According to my dad it was starting to run slowly or erratically. So I changed the battery.

While the symptoms of running slowly or erratically could be signs of a battery that's failing more likely though it's an indication that the watch needs to be serviced. As changing the battery did not fix the problem this is another indication of watch that needs to be serviced.

collin

Occasionally, the symptoms you describe can be temporarily resolved by simply advancing the hands through a 24 hour cycle with the stem. The guys are right in suggesting a service. The jeweled quartz movements are a fairly easy service and require servicing much like a mechanical watch.