Month's Goal: $300, Received: $100.00 - (33%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 881 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Kundo Electric clock (RE: Second Life)

Thank you very kindly Rasch for the six pages of KundO technical documents for the transistor switched pendulum clocks.

The diagrams, sketches and lists although in German language, are self-explaining in any language. A language dictionary helps.

We are indebted to you for making the documents available to us.

Again, thank you Rasch.
    H.J. (Les) Lesovsky, Alhambra California

Default Re: Kundo Electric clock (RE: Eckmill)

I realize this is a very old thread, but as a new Kundo electronic clock owner I wanted to thank Rasch for furnishing the invaluable technical information. My clock is working fine now, but I'll file this away for future use. Thanks again!

Rt
    Cela m'est égal.

Default Re: Kundo Electric clock (RE: instarclock)

Hi,Instarclock,t´was pleasure to see that my attempt back in 2007 was usefull for You!
    Burkhard
    Gigni de nihilo nihil,et nihil in nihilum posse reverti
    (Persius)

Blog Entries

Default Re: Kundo Electric clock (RE: Burkhard Rasch)

I only just found this information after it was posted almost 3 years ago.
    I am asking someone now to help in translating it for me. Thanks Burkhard for this information.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Blog Entries

Default Re: Kundo Electric clock (RE: Kevin W.)

My friend tried to help me translate the German language on the technical sheets and he was not able to. He has only the basics of the language.
    I was wondering if someone here could translate these pages and they be put into the archives of the NAWCC.

Hello, Id like to make a contribution to the KUNDO discussion. I'll attach 2 pages of instructions by the Kundo company which I took from the 'VDU Elektrouhrenmappe' - Sorry - but it's in German. Maybe there is some bilingual member. There has been an article on 'How to repair a Kundo clock' in the Horrological Journal July 1998 - I have a poor copy in case somebody is interested in that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VDU Mappe 1x.pdf   VDU Mappe 2.pdf  

Default Re: Kundo Electric clock (RE: dietrich)

For everybody's use: Here is a translation of the repair instructions. The translation is a little bit rough, there were some unusul terms (for me) that had been used.

Uhralt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Instructions for Repair.pdf   KUNDO 1.pdf   KUNDO 2.pdf  

This site is amazing!

One question, and one pointer to further information about these clocks.

Question:

How many seconds/day is each "notch" on the rotating adjusting weight?

For further information about the electronics (a one-transistor amplifier):

http://sound.westhost.com/clocks/kundo.html

Mr. Elliott has written-up his experience re-winding the coils and re-building the one-transistor circuit of the Kundo clock.

Charles Cohen

Default Re: Kundo Electric clock (RE: cpcohen1945)

Hi Charles,I dot think that there is a kind of "apriory" relation between the markings on the pendulum weight and a definite number of seconds per day advancing or slowing.AFAIK these markings serve as a rough orientation of the amount the weight is turned the one or other direction in the proces of regulating the clock mainly by try and error.Can be wrong though(?)
    Burkhard
    -> posts merged by system <-
    Kevin,do You have a special question or are You asking for a more general purpose?Special question could be answered/translated right away;if requested I´d undertake the labor of translating side after side over the next months,allthough I have to admit that I don´t understand nothing about electricity and related subjects(I´m purely mechanic,You know?)so I´m not sure to get everything right.Do You have experiance with translation-programs?What do You think?
    Burkhard
    (Persius)

Blog Entries

Hi Burkhard, i think i am ok on the information provided.
    I will print it out for reference.
    I have two Ato clocks now that dont work.I know of one person who lives near me who might be able to repair them or make one working clock out of the two.If not i may just put both on Ebay and sell for parts.
    Thanks again Burkhard for your help.

Default Re: Kundo Electric clock (RE: Kevin W.)

Hope I´m allowed to revive that old threat:What has hapened to the attachments of this thread,I cannot read them anymore.Is it possible for the moderators or administrators either to "switch" the pics on or to translate them into a format that can be read?Even I have lost acces to the original papers TIA
    Burkhard
    (Persius)

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

They seem to work for me Burkhard. I wonder if your computer may be blocking them?
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Registered user.

Default Re: Kundo Electric clock (RE: harold bain)

Hi
    In one of the diagrams they show testing the battery
    with a milliameter across the leads. Do not do this
    with an alkaline C battery. It will most likely damage
    the movement ( or on a good digital blow a fuse ).
    It will often cause outgassing in the cell that will cause
    it to fail in a short amount of time.
    Tinker Dwight

Default Re: Kundo Electric clock (RE: Tinker Dwight)

In my eyes, I don't see the caution in Tinker Dwight's missive. The sketches clearly reveal measuring battery voltage using a VOLT meter and showing the MiLLIAMPERE measurement using the instrument in CURRENT mode. The graphic instructions are correct as far as I can see in browsing the sketches.

If there is a mistake, it is on account of the evolution of the milliammeter. Most in practical use are too well dampened to show accurately, the tiny anticipated 2 milliampere current. It comes and goes with the motion of the pendulum far faster than most d'arsonvil meters can respond.

The principle of the KundO circuit uses the induction a small current to switch the circuit. The faster the pendulum moves, the larger the switching current. The opposite is true. With the pendulum magnet in slow motion, there will not be enough current induced to switch the transistor, hence no battery-drive coil current and no measurement using an "in-circuit" current measurement.

Digital multimeters are far too slow to show the current unless the instrument has a "peak" reading mode.

Anyone else find anything to argue about?
    Last edited by Eckmill; 02-22-2012 at 10:34 AM.
    H.J. (Les) Lesovsky, Alhambra California

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: Kundo Electric clock (RE: Eckmill)

Les, I suppose it would help to know which diagram Dwight is refering to, and whether the test is for battery voltage (which is all I ever test for to determine if a battery is OK or not). Never had any problems using a multimeter to check batteries. On the rectangular 9 volt batteries, I have been known to do a tongue test, which is a pretty good indication of whether there's much left or not (if you feel a tingle, the battery is likely good). Of course the meter is much better than your tongue for this job.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"