Month's Goal: $300, Received: $120.00 - (40%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2610 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default 8mm Lathe collet sizes.

Hi,

I am wondering is there a chart or something that shows the ID's in inches for collets that are numbered such as 1-50. For example a collet that is 13/64" etched on the head would be what number 1-50?

The few I have are all numbered and some of the ones I see for sale are stated in inches such as 13/64",1/64" etc. I just don't want to buy what I do already have.

Many thanks for your help.

Default Re: 8mm Lathe collet sizes. (RE: Jeff C)

The sizes are .1MM increments. If you go to www.StarrrettCollets.com they have a chart if you scroll to the bottom of the 1st page.

Malkin Shaw

Thanks for the info Malkin. I wasn't aware the relation between the size# and actual ID measurements was that easy to know ie. #50=5mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff
    Thanks for the info Malkin. I wasn't aware the relation between the size# and actual ID measurements was that easy to know ie. #50=5mm.
    Isn't it odd that we in the U.S. measure the thickness(strength) and width of mainsprings metrically but the length in inches? I'm sure they don't file springs that way in Switzerland but I've never seen any msg. length marked metrically here..
    -Cort

Quote Originally Posted by 4thdimension
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff
    Isn't it odd that we in the U.S. measure the thickness(strength) and width of mainsprings metrically but the length in inches? I'm sure they don't file springs that way in Switzerland but I've never seen any msg. length marked metrically here..
    -Cort
    It has been my experience that most suppliers' catalogs list mainspring specs in both English and metric measurements.
    -------Tony-------
    Arizona Clock Repair