Month's Goal: $300, Received: $120.00 - (40%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1327 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Seth Thomas Westminster Chimes Movement 124

Can anyone help identify the model of this mantel clock - the only label is for the directions and where you would normally find the stamp of the model name, it only reads "Z 7" at the bottom. It is a close match to most of the 124's on page 29 of Ly's ST book. Thanks much, Sherry
    [edit=1033=1178587095]wrong pictures[/edit]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails st westminster tambour 005.JPG   st westminster tambour 006.JPG  

Default Re: Seth Thomas Westminster Chimes Movement 124 (RE: Sherry Arnold)

Sorry - getting to where I can't read in my old age!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 001.JPG   005.JPG  

Hi Sherry,

I couldn't find page "29" in LY's ST book with clocks similar to yours. I did find some in 3rd edition Vol I pages 170-175. Did you look on the bottom of the clock? Often there is another label there with the model number. Anyway, it looks like it is from the 1920's.

Regards,

Richard T.
    Best,
    Richard T.

Looks like it could be either the Chime Special 105 or the Chime Clock No. 91 (#'s 464 and 468, respectively in Ly's ST, 3rd ed.). Seems to depend on the feet, and possibly the side the bezel doors opens from, though I wouldn't put a whole loy of emphasis on either criterion.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hi Sherry,

I couldn't find page "29" in LY's ST book with clocks similar to yours. I did find some in 3rd edition Vol I pages 170-175. Did you look on the bottom of the clock? Often there is another label there with the model number. Anyway, it looks like it is from the 1920's.

Regards,

Richard T.
    Thanks Richard - unfortunately the label is not there! We had thought the 20's as well. Appreciate your looking for us. Sherry

Quote Originally Posted by Steven
    Looks like it could be either the Chime Special 105 or the Chime Clock No. 91 (#'s 464 and 468, respectively in Ly's ST, 3rd ed.). Seems to depend on the feet, and possibly the side the bezel doors opens from, though I wouldn't put a whole loy of emphasis on either criterion.
    Hi - the clock has little round flat feet and the door opens right to left (the hinges are on the left side of the face). It is a pretty thing and I appreciate your help. Sherry

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry
    Hi - the clock has little round flat feet and the door opens right to left (the hinges are on the left side of the face). It is a pretty thing and I appreciate your help. Sherry
    Sherry,

Maybe it's just me...

You've got an ST 124 movement (signed) in an apparently original case, with a 124 label.

I have the exact same clock, except mine has walnut burl with a different case finish, and the hands are different, as is the label.

My Ly book dates the movement to 1924, with the models mentioned as being numbered 91 through 96.

So what more do you want? Unlike many other clocks, it's pretty obvious what it is...

Quote Originally Posted by Thyme
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherry
    Sherry,

Maybe it's just me...

You've got an ST 124 movement (signed) in an apparently original case, with a 124 label.

I have the exact same clock, except mine has walnut burl with a different case finish, and the hands are different, as is the label.

My Ly book dates the movement to 1924, with the models mentioned as being numbered 91 through 96.

So what more do you want? Unlike many other clocks, it's pretty obvious what it is...
    Dear Thyme,

OUCH! Sorry if I offended anyone with my question. All I wanted to know was the model number as I was not familiar with the "Z7" on the label. I thought someone might recognize the exact model number, nothing more.

I always thought the NAWCC boards were to provide help and assistance to those of us less educated in the subject of these old clocks. We certainly try to do that at our chapter and in our business as well, constantly explaining to the best of our ability just what they are all about and encouraging people to explore the world of antique amd vintage clocks. Nothing would make me happier than to be able to come to the message board and actually be able to give an answer to help someone out but I am far from that stage of knowledge.

Again, if my question was out of line, I do apologize.

Sherry

I would go for the Chime Special 105, which I mentioned above as a possibility, but that is assuming that your clock is actually one in Tran's ST book. Many models were similar, with just slight differences and accurately identifying from the book is not always easy. Yours could be one that didn't make it into the book, but I still for the 105 (at least currently).

No, your question is not out of line. Thyme may have misunderstood what you were specifically asking (or was off his meds??).

Banned

Dear Thyme,

OUCH! Sorry if I offended anyone with my question. All I wanted to know was the model number as I was not familiar with the "Z7" on the label. I thought someone might recognize the exact model number, nothing more.
    Sherry,

It never ceases to amaze me how sensitive people can be on message boards.

I always thought the NAWCC boards were to provide help and assistance to those of us less educated in the subject of these old clocks. We certainly try to do that at our chapter and in our business as well, constantly explaining to the best of our ability just what they are all about and encouraging people to explore the world of antique amd vintage clocks. Nothing would make me happier than to be able to come to the message board and actually be able to give an answer to help someone out but I am far from that stage of knowledge.

Again, if my question was out of line, I do apologize.
    I didn't think your question was out of line - it's just that it's obviously a 124 ST chime clock, and that description alone generally suffices. It was a very popular clock and usually the model number is not mentioned or cited.

For those of you who think I'm mean-spirited, please acknowledge that I pointed Sherry in the right direction as to which model it might be.

Now, in an attempt at further generosity, here is a link with a photo of your clock:

http://www.antiqueclockspriceguide.c...0Model%20Names

Apparently, it is a model 91.

I hope I was helpful to you and I wish you well.

Banned

No, your question is not out of line. Thyme may have misunderstood what you were specifically asking (or was off his meds??).
    Steven,

I explained myself and extended further assistance to Sherry, hopefully to your satisfaction.

Having considerable experience with message boards and e-mail lists, I am not easily offended, neither by those who say "ouch", nor by those who make sarcastic comments. Nor do I go out of my way to offend anyone. When someone does become offended, I try to clarify the situation.

However, your comment ("or was off his meds??") was uncalled for. I've heard quips like that before, but the implication is that if someone's tone or mode of expression is less than sugary sweet (as mine sometimes is), suggestion is made that they require psychoactive medication.

Your impulsiveness in making mention of medication suggests that perhaps you use it, but I do not.

Have a nice day.

Well, Thyme, see how easy it is to be offended, when no offense was intended? We at least need to try to appear helpful, especially to a new member. We all have our opinions, but I wager only Set Thomas et al. know just which clock Sherry's is.

Default Re: Seth Thomas Westminster Chimes Movement 124 (RE: Thyme)

I Think you need to look at the bezel. What you will find is that it has a hole to stop the chimer. This puts this case at around 1931 or so. I would think that you might have a replacement movement. Your movement does not have this set up. The movement you have came after the 113. It was used from 1920 to 1930. The chime rods to your case are much brighter in tone than the 1930 to 1920 rods. So the case was built sometime in the mid 30 's. It is a #93 chime.