Goal: $300, Received: $115.00 (38%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 3 of 64 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Default Illinois private-labels (By: Fred Hansen)

Thanks Cort!

The Landis Watch Co. marked watches are interesting, and are sometimes found with military names marked on the movement as well. In my notes I have recorded those marked as "Colonel", "General", "Liuetenant", "Major", and "Captain". None of these seem common, but I've seen more of the "Colonel" than the others.

Fred
    Fred Hansen
    NAWCC #109682

Fred, I have a model 5 marked "The General". I got mine as a scrap movement without a dial and restored it. Would this have had a Landis Watch Co dial on it as original?

Tom

16 size open face Grade 179, 21 Ruby jewels serial number 1302265. 999 on dial, John A. Miller Cairo, Ill. on movement. 2. 16 size open face, serial number 1419465, three finger bridge, 17 ruby jewels on movement, unmarked otherwise, dial marked John A. Miller Cairo, Ill.

Tom - I have seen a few 15 jewel Getty models signed "The General" on the movement and these have also had double-sunk dials signed "The General". The serial numbers of these watches have placed them at about the 1898-1900 range, while the Landis movements I've seen have been a bit later running between about the 1905-1910 era. So I am not sure if there is any relation between these.

GD - Great pair of John A. Miller watches! The grade 179 has always been one of my favorite Illinois watches, and I've seen more of these with private-label markings then without. Also it seems that John A. Miller had very good taste in Illinois watches, as I've seen a 2-tone 24 jewel Bunn Special marked for Miller (damaskeen very similar to that on the 24J Chesapeake & Ohio).

Fred
    Fred Hansen
    NAWCC #109682

I also have a John A. Miller that is a South bend 15 jewels 18 size. Marked on dial and movement if you know anyone that is keeping records on S. Bend private labels.

Hi Fred, Thanks for the info on "The General".

Tom

GD

I sure would appreciate the serial number from your
    John A. Miller 18s South Bend private label. Also is the dial SS or DS ----RN or AN?
    Thank you
    LStratton

456986. 17 jewels open face, lever set, ss dial, arabic, marked JNO. A. Miller Cairo, Ill. on dial and movement. Also have another South Bend marked on dial C. Burkhardt Special which was a jeweler in Cairo, Ill. 16 size, open face stem set, marked South Bend Watch Co. 15 jewels on movement, serial number 473001. SS dial, roman numerals.

Anyone with photos of Illinois private-labels please feel free and post here, I would enjoy seeing these!

Here are a few I like ...

Serial #1204659 ... dial marked "Geo. W. Huggins, Wilmington N.C.", movement marked "Atlantic Coast Line, Special"

Fred
    Fred Hansen
    NAWCC #109682

Serial #1318446 ... dial and movement marked for R. Harris & Company, Washington D.C.

Fred
    Fred Hansen
    NAWCC #109682

Very nice Fred!

Thanks,
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

denniscsg

I have a 23j 16s model 4 174B hunter case, any info on this watch would be appreciated the movement is marked CONLIKN'S SPECIAL

I have seen 18 and 16 size Illinois signed "Conklin's Special". The 18 size was a grade 69, but I do not remember the grade of the 16 size though I am pretty sure it was a 17 jewel and I don't think it was a 174-B.

The 23J grade 174-B is a very scarce watch, and I would be interested in the serial number of yours and would enjoy seeing a photo if possible.

Fred
    Fred Hansen
    NAWCC #109682

denniscsg

serial # 1,313,960 I was also told it is a model 4 grade174-B and was a Getty and factory Hunter cased

Thanks for the info and congrats on owning a great watch!

The grade 174-B is a hunting case model watch (winds at 3 O'clock position), and would have been cased at the customer's request by the jeweler who sold the movement.

The Getty name refers to the model of the watch ... which is a design with only one winding wheel visible.

A few hundred 23 jewel movements were made in the 3/4 plate Getty model grade 174, but only 10 each were made of 23 jewel open face and hunting case in the 3 finger bridge sister grade of 174-B. So the 23J grade 174 is not a common watch, but far easier to find than the 23J grade 174-B!

The serial number of your movement would date it to about 1896.

If possible I would still be very interested in seeing a photo of your rare watch, either posted here or by email at fhansen21@yahoo.com

Fred
    Fred Hansen
    NAWCC #109682