Goal: $300, Received: $370.00 (124%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Correct Voltage for Gents Pulsynetic Master Clock (By: Lincolnhill)

Your clock serial number 1481 would date from early 1915. My clock s/n 1455 is dated December 1914.

John

Registered user.

Lincolnhill

Your clock is a very early C7

Are you sure your Clock is # 1481 and not clock #1418?

I have notes on a clock #1418 that was made on the 16 July 1914 for a company in Glasgow, Scotland

I believe it was for export to U.S.A

It seems like too much of a coincidence

I would love to see some pictures of the movement and slave to confirm its date

Edd

Good Morning Ed,

Good question. The wood case is stamped with the serial number #1481 on the top front edge of the case, but the small paper tag that is located on the inside right side of the case has a handwritten serial number of #1418.

I just assumed that one of the two had an accidental transposition.

In either case I will take a couple of photographs of the movements and try to post them in a couple days.

Any insight you may have on my actual clock would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael

PS. The clock is still running and advancing nicely.

In 1914, Gents used as an agent in Glasgow, George Edwards of 92, 97 Buchanan Street, Glasgow. I don't know if they were used exclusively at that date, since Gents had many agents over the years.

As requested, here are the photos of my clock's moverment and the slave dial. Please let me know if you need anything else to help identify it.

Thank you,

Michael
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gent's Mvmt.JPG   Gent's Slave.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by Lincolnhill
    As requested, here are the photos of my clock's moverment and the slave dial. Please let me know if you need anything else to help identify it.

Thank you,

Michael
    Lucky you!
    This is a very early Gent indeed. see graph.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GentsGraph2006-07-19.gif  
    Interested in my electric clocks?
    www.vrolijk-clocks.nl

Not sure if anyone is watching this post as it was started some time back. Thought I would let you know it was useful in getting my Gents pulsynetic ticking again. Serial number 6584 dated 14 Feb 1949.

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: Correct Voltage for Gents Pulsynetic Master Clock (By: Daniels Clock)

Hi, Daniel, welcome to the message board. Glad you found our archives useful.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Registered user.

Default Re: Correct Voltage for Gents Pulsynetic Master Clock (By: Daniels Clock)

Hi Daniel, your post and looking at the posts in this thread reminded me i needed to get my clock working again too.

Mine is serial No 6613 dated 11th march 1949

I got mine to remind me of where i started, my first job in 1978 was to test and set S type movements as an apprentice at Gent in Leicester, the S type was the standard movement used in the pulsynetic clock sytem.
    I must have liked it as i stayed a further 14 years!.

Default Re: Correct Voltage for Gents Pulsynetic Master Clock (By: Mickyblueeyes)

Hi Mickey, with your experience I'm sure you will find the job more straight forward than I did. The wiring incorporated 2 sets of chokes and resistors and 3 sets of points. I took the movement out of the case because I couldn't fathom out where the cables were going. Think I have it right now its undergoing time trials. I've got the lap top running next to it with 4 stop watches. Its lost 4.5 seconds in two hours so have added 2 more air rifle pellets to top of pendulum.

One question for anyone out there, watching the contacts (in the dark) there is no flash across them. Does this confirm I have choke / resistor wired correctly?
    Regards
    Daniel

Question Re: Correct Voltage for Gents Pulsynetic Master Clock (By: Lincolnhill)

Hi All

I am new to all this but . . . I have a Gent Master Clock that was used in a Electro Mechanical Exchange. Being from a Telco background I have managed to get it working but I very much doubt that the method I used is correct.

I need to know how to connect the dial into the circuit. So far I have put a relay in parallel with the coil that operates the gravity lever? The contacts connect between the supply and the dial coil thus the dial steps in sync with the lever reset coil.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please, see the attached pic's as well. I am also in the process of tidying the wiring.

BTW. my clock has serial number 15236
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_1220s.JPG   100_1224c.jpg   100_1221s.JPG  
    Last edited by Dave C; 05-13-2010 at 12:49 PM.

Registered user.

Default Re: Correct Voltage for Gents Pulsynetic Master Clock (By: Dave C)

Hi Dave C
    Welcome aboard
    A photo of the main movement would be helpful
    Your clock was made in 1976
    I donít have a circuit diagram for your particular clock, but the electrical principle is as follows:

The voltage from the positive side of the battery/power supply enters the clock case.
    It then goes through the pilot dial, through a variable resistor and then to the main contacts (every 30 seconds). From there it goes to the two large coils that reset the gravity arm, and then back to the minus side of your power supply
    Adjust the variable resistor so the current through the circuit is 220ma upping or downing the voltage appropriately

I would suggest 12vdc as a starting point

I noticed that youíre clock has additional slave units to administer different outputs.
    These would possibly be 10 second and six second depending on the how they are wired.
    If you are intending to use this clock in a domestic environment I suggest you exclude these slaves from the circuit, due to the noise they will emit.
    Kind regards
    Edd

Default Re: Correct Voltage for Gents Pulsynetic Master Clock (By: Edwardo)

Hi Edd

First of all many thanks for your reply, i will be putting some effort into working on the unit over the weekend. I will also report back as soon as I have made progress.

I have found that 12 Volt DC works best for this particular unit. It was originally wired for 48 Volt but by by passing the tho 330 Ohm 30 Watt resistors the clock is now happily ticking along on 12.

I found the date card inside the clock this afternoon and according to that it was made during Desember of 1975. A bit of background on this particular clock. It was used at a local telephone exchange where I worked as a learner technician during 1988. Later the exchange was upgraded? to an electronic exchange. The senior technician in charge of the exchange since it's opening had the privilege of getting this clock as reward for his duties there. He passed away a couple of years ago and since I also used to visit his house frequently I was given the clock by his son.

For some reason I can not post the picture here tonight
    Last edited by Dave C; 05-14-2010 at 01:37 PM. Reason: cant load pictrures

A photo of the main movement can be found here http://www.congate.co.za/100_1223.JPG

Hi Again Edd

Ok I have done the wiring as per your instruction but then nothing happens, none of the coils activate, upon further investigation I found that there is no resistance reading between "Time Dial" and "-" (open circuit) which leads me to believe that there was a modification made to the clock to operate the exchange equipment.

I will however be looking into this a bit and report back as soon as I have something.

Dave C
    Last edited by Dave C; 05-15-2010 at 03:15 PM. Reason: More info became available