Month's Goal: $300, Received: $0 - (0%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2755 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Ithaca Clock Company Display Case

Hello all,

I originally posted this in the Clocks 'Your Newest Aquisition' thread but decided to start a new thread for it. I asked for opinions on what different people thought it may be and was told to contact Joel Warren. Well I have finally contacted him and he got back to me with a response. For those of you who do not know who Mr. Warren is, he is the owner of the Ithaca Clock Co. Museum in Ithaca, NY.

Anyway, Mr Warren gave me his opinion on what the display case was used for and I wanted to share it. He believes from the pictures that it may be a jewelry strore display case as most furniture used in the factory offices would have been labled Ithaca Calendar Clock Company and would have had been labeled on the back of the piece. This display case has the words Ithaca Clock Co. and does not contain anything on the rear of the case.

He also beleives becasue of its size, it was most likely used to display their Skeleton Clock model. The Skeleton clock model was 24" tall (and the inside of the case is 52" tall (overall it is 60")). The rest of the dimensions are 26" wide and 15" deep. It probably had one shelf in the middle as opposed to the current two shelfs that are in it.

Any other opinions would be greatly appreciated and welcome.

Have a great day,
    Chris Beattie
    So Many Clocks, So Little Time

Default Re: Ithaca Clock Company Display Case (RE: ChrisBeattie)

Not to split hairs or to upset anyone...but, Joel Warren is a Trustee of the museum. He does not own it.

The director of The Ithaca Clock Museum, located at 136 West State Street, Ithaca, NY 14850 is Ralph Thorpe. Call to make an appointment with him to see the museum(607-227-2303) ...they have some great Ithaca Calendar Clocks, Poole Clocks and a few Barr Clocks. It's worth the trip.

Also, as a side note... Mike Porter is the owner of Ithaca Calandar Clock Co. He and Joel were partners at one time, but have since disolved that relationship.

Both are excellent at what they do and are both good people...just one of those things I guess.

greg

I stopped there in December, beautiful display of the clocks you have mentioned. They also have a few old Grandfather clocks when you walk upstairs. It was fun I even signed the book.

Not to take away from the topic but they had a Seth Thomas Adamantine clock which had a coin slot in the side. To this day I have always been baffled by that one.

Sorry Greg about the mislabeling of Mr. Warren's title. It was definitely not intentional or meant to overlook anyone. Thanks for pointing out the mistake.

Chris
    So Many Clocks, So Little Time

CrisBeattie...no appoligy needed, but knowing all three of the gentlemen...I felt that it should be cleared up.

greg

Jim D.

Jeff,

Were you able to see the bottom of this clock? It may have had a key hole and removable bottom. Some of the companies made banks out of their clock cases. I have seen two made out of black iron but do not remember the manufacture.

Jim D.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff
    Not to take away from the topic but they had a Seth Thomas Adamantine clock which had a coin slot in the side. To this day I have always been baffled by that one.

Sorry Jim D. I never looked at the bottom. It was a working clock though. If I remember correctly the slot mechanism was something those on pool tables I believe.

I'm still scratching my head, the gentlemen there did tell me how this worked. I'm going up to Ithaca in May and I plan to stop back there.