Month's Goal: $300, Received: $305.00 - (102%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2720 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Seth Thomas 86W--What did it run?

I have had in the garage for about a year now, a partial Seth Umbria. No top or bottom as both are missing. Original dial, bob, stick, beatplate. The movement is an 86W with extra gears on the outside. Evidently it ran another mechanism which is no longer in the case. The dial has a brass plack that reads "Ready Shift Pat Appd For" where the seconds bit would normally be. A typed instruction sheet is on the top of the dial board. The movement runs fine and is a 30 day movement although the instructions say to wind every 7 days. Whatever it ran is not neccessary for timekeeping.
    Following are some pictures of the mvt and dial.
    Anyone who could shed a light on this whole setup, please do. I am puzzled on the whole thing.
    [edit=183=1175881375][/edit]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails instructions.jpg   redishift.jpg   86w.jpg   86wmvt.jpg  

Default Re: Seth Thomas 86W--What did it run? (RE: inbeat)

Well, I had a clock in last year with a similar addition to it. The clock was a Pequegnat Moncton which also is a 15 day clock with deadbeat escapement. When I asked the owner if he knew what the additional hardware was for he told me that it had controlled the ringing of the school bell for the school in which the clock hung. Maybe this one was for something similar?
    gp

Tran's Seth book says the 86W is the same as the 86T except that pendulum is 21 3/4 iches and used in World and #16 Office The 86T is a 30 day, double spring, pendulum 8 3/4" for the Hudson and #1 Arcade.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    Tran's Seth book says the 86W is the same as the 86T except that pendulum is 21 3/4 iches and used in World and #16 Office The 86T is a 30 day, double spring, pendulum 8 3/4" for the Hudson and #1 Arcade.
    Bob,
    That is not the question....I know what a regular 86W is...but this is not the regular model...it has extra gears on the outside of the plate which I described in my question....the normal 86W is used in a World and Umbria...This is the same drop..same run time...
    The question is what could this model have run........?

JJ

Quote Originally Posted by Grantmjp
    Well, I had a clock in last year with a similar addition to it. The clock was a Pequegnat Moncton which also is a 15 day clock with deadbeat escapement. When I asked the owner if he knew what the additional hardware was for he told me that it had controlled the ringing of the school bell for the school in which the clock hung. Maybe this one was for something similar?
    gp
    Grant,
    Thanks....that might be it...the Pequegnat mvts were similar to the Seths...the Reg. #1 is similar to the Seth Reg. #2...Moncton mvt similar to the World...

JJ