Goal: $300, Received: $275.00 (92%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 108 of 108 FirstFirst ... 85898104105106107108
Results 1,606 to 1,615 of 1615

Default Re: Clockmakers Hall of Shame (By: R&A)

I think the OP was talking about scored pivots in the Time Train. If you haven't seen the "bushings" in question go back to his before photos. The discussion has lately centered on S-1 but that wasn't presented as the main area of concern. I'm assuming that pivot wasn't scored (any more than "normal") but I could be wrong.

Default Re: Clockmakers Hall of Shame (By: Time After Time)

Quote Originally Posted by Time After Time View Post
    I think the OP was talking about scored pivots in the Time Train. If you haven't seen the "bushings" in question go back to his before photos. The discussion has lately centered on S-1 but that wasn't presented as the main area of concern. I'm assuming that pivot wasn't scored (any more than "normal") but I could be wrong.
    This is what he posted

Re: Clockmakers Hall of Shame (By: PatH)

The pivots just had some mild scoring, which cleaned up when I polished them.

This is where I got it from
    R&A it is what it is

Default Re: Clockmakers Hall of Shame

Quote Originally Posted by R&A View Post
    This is what he posted

Re: Clockmakers Hall of Shame (By: PatH)

The pivots just had some mild scoring, which cleaned up when I polished them.

This is where I got it from
    I know where it came from friend. He was responding to my question and my question was about the pivots he had re-bushed. (See photo from Post Number 1586, gears T-1B, T-2B & T-3B?). I could be wrong but I don't think he was talking about the S-1 Pivot.

Pivots had some scoring, not bad, dressed them out. Removed previous "repair", cleaned plate and rebushed. Movement is ticking away quietly now.
    The question got repeated in #1599 and the OP repeated the answer in #1600, which is what you are quoting

Last edited by Time After Time; 08-12-2017 at 07:56 PM. Reason: photo reference

Default Re: Clockmakers Hall of Shame (By: shutterbug)

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
    That's a screw-in bushing and they are a pain. You almost have to bush inside them (and hope they don't move).
    I once encountered a screw-in bushing that kept un-screwing as I was reaming a hole in it for a real bushing. Red Loc-tite didn't help much and looked horrible. After more experimentation than should have been necessary, I finally took the plate over to visit Mr Hammer. Positioning the screw-in bushing atop a tiny anvil (actually the head of a cold chisel clamped in the vise) I applied several scientifically-placed clops to said bushing, which expanded out and thus locked in place.

I agree that the winding arbor pivot isn't attractive here, but it's tough to grow new brass. The OP did a good job of getting rid of the worst of the solder.

M Kinsler
    512 East Mulberry Street; Lancaster, Ohio USA 740-503-1973; kinsler33@gmail.com
    http://www.lancastereaglegazette.com/search/kinsler/

Default Re: Clockmakers Hall of Shame (By: kinsler33)

Quote Originally Posted by kinsler33 View Post
    I once encountered a screw-in bushing that kept un-screwing as I was reaming a hole in it for a real bushing. Red Loc-tite didn't help much and looked horrible. After more experimentation than should have been necessary, I finally took the plate over to visit Mr Hammer. Positioning the screw-in bushing atop a tiny anvil (actually the head of a cold chisel clamped in the vise) I applied several scientifically-placed clops to said bushing, which expanded out and thus locked in place.

I agree that the winding arbor pivot isn't attractive here, but it's tough to grow new brass. The OP did a good job of getting rid of the worst of the solder.

M Kinsler
    That doesn't sound like a bad way to approach the problem, especially if the owner doesn't want to pay you to make it "disappear". They can also be staked to the plate which is a method used by manufacturers. I almost wish I had not asked the OP for "after" photos now. I think he did a very nice job but it seems as though folks are more focused on, and critical of, what he didn't do on S-1. Perhaps not, just seems that way to me.

Default Re: Clockmakers Hall of Shame (By: kinsler33)

Just for the record, because of all the discussion, I did opt to leave the strike side alone because even as ugly as it looks, it is a functioning bushing. There was no slop, the pivot had no scoring and the countwheel is involved. I just did not feel it was worth the effort, in this case, to remove the ugly, just to make it pretty.
    The saw tooth bushings on the time train, however, had finally failed and stopped the clock. Those had to be repaired to get it back to a running clock. Which by the way, is still ticking sweetly away.

And really, How many times have you heard from a customer, "That much? Anything you can do to lower the cost?".
    Yeah, I can use these special saw tooth bushings. They'll last 20 years or so and I can knock a third of the price off. "Do it". And this is how we end up here.

Billy

Default Re: Clockmakers Hall of Shame (By: Billy)

If you're the last one to handle the movement, the repair will be attributed to you. Not good for the reputation
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Time After Time View Post
    That doesn't sound like a bad way to approach the problem, especially if the owner doesn't want to pay you to make it "disappear". They can also be staked to the plate which is a method used by manufacturers. I almost wish I had not asked the OP for "after" photos now. I think he did a very nice job but it seems as though folks are more focused on, and critical of, what he didn't do on S-1. Perhaps not, just seems that way to me.
    I don't know about you per say. But I do this full time. My opinion reflects on how a repair will be looked at in the future, as to my reputation. I would rather tell you what I would do. Than to tell you nothing at all. Funny how we don't know what a guy has as far as tool and equipment. Go through a lengthy instruction on set up approach. And then find out that the poor guy doesn't even have a screw driver. So on that note. I have no Idea what the intention is for this fix. All I'm trying to do is my best to help.
    R&A it is what it is

Default Re: Clockmakers Hall of Shame

Quote Originally Posted by R&A View Post
    I don't know about you per say. But I do this full time. My opinion reflects on how a repair will be looked at in the future, as to my reputation. I would rather tell you what I would do. Than to tell you nothing at all. Funny how we don't know what a guy has as far as tool and equipment. Go through a lengthy instruction on set up approach. And then find out that the poor guy doesn't even have a screw driver. So on that note. I have no Idea what the intention is for this fix. All I'm trying to do is my best to help.
    The circumstances were stated and re-stated/clarified by the OP for our benefit. I don't know about you "per say", but not too many people who are in business can afford to fix a cosmetic issue without charging the customer for their time. If the customer doesn't want to pay for a cosmetic repair/restoration, and if the repairer honestly doesn't think it is necessary, who is the professional? There was no functional reason to replace the bushing. The customer was informed about it and a photo was taken to document and show the owner of the clock. What more do you want? I'm starting to understand members who disagree so strongly with the judgmental aspects of this thread. If the clock is yours, do what you want to with it. If you're getting paid, educate your customer and do what they pay you to do. If you want to donate your time for the "greater good" of clocks, knock yourself out. I'm done on this particular posting and possibly with the thread.

I think I was confused on which movement we were discussing. I was thinking it was the one with the gear parts for bushings. Sorry!
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.