Goal: $300, Received: $215.00 (72%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 108 123451151101 ... LastLast
    Registered user.

Default Clockmakers Hall of Shame

I am making a Power Point presentation titled "The Clockmakers Hall of Shame".

It will be a collection of pics of botched, bodgered and totally improper repair jobs including badly punched pivot holes, solder disasters, including corrosion caused by not removing acid flux. Well you get the idea.

I will be using this as a program at our next chapter meeting. Also I will make it available to everyone as a download.
    I already have quite a few pics and want to add to them so please add any pics to this thread.

I think this could be a fun and educational topic. Get those digital cameras ready.

Cheers,
    Jerry

Default Re: Clockmakers Hall of Shame (By: Jerry Kenney)

http://www.nawcc-mb.com/bbv2/bbBoard.cgi?a=viewthread;fid=14;gtid=220080
    See topic a little further down, "Who Needs Bushings . . . . . ." for existing fodder for your presentation.
    [edit=1258=1174431479][/edit]
    [edit=1258=1174431797][/edit]
    [edit=1258=1174431952][/edit]
    [edit=1=1174442453][/edit]

Jerry,
    If you email me at fourburros@AOL.com and let me know what your USPS address is, I will search my photo archives and load some bad repairs on a CD. I will then send them to you via USPS as I can send higher quality pictures on a CD. If I resort to using the net to send pictures, I am afraid the down/upload time will be lengthy and the quality very poor.
    Use a subject on the email like Clockmakers hall of shame so I do not send it to never-never land as spam.
    I will likely have a chance to do that this weekend.
    When you have your presentation done, I would like to have a copy on a CD as I only have a phone/modem connection. Let me know what you need to copy your presentation on a CD and send it.
    Best Regards,
    Dick

Registered user.

Scottie,

Thanks, I saw these, that is what gave me the idea to start this project.

Jerry

Registered user.

Dick,

Thanks for the offer, address has been sent by email.
    I had hundreds of these pics but lost after a hard drive crash, I had a few on another computer that were saved.

Cheers,
    Jerry

clockfixer

Hi Jerry,
    I have this Ithaca # 2 bank regulator.... well sort of anyway. Take a look! This was found in the basement of an old clock repairers shop. at least it wasnt thrown out!

Mark

Pat Quillinan

Jerry,

If you have a crashed hard drive with info on it that you need, it often can be recoverd. I'd be willing to put my IT guys on it if you still have the drive. Let me know. Same subject on e-mail 'Clockmaker's hall of shame' so it doesn't get sent to the trash bin. pqzymrgy@aol.com.

PQ

Registered user.

Mark,
    Nice clock, what is the third hole in dial for?

Jerry

Registered user.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat
    Jerry,

If you have a crashed hard drive with info on it that you need, it often can be recoverd. I'd be willing to put my IT guys on it if you still have the drive. Let me know. Same subject on e-mail 'Clockmaker's hall of shame' so it doesn't get sent to the trash bin. pqzymrgy@aol.com.

PQ
    Thanks Pat,

Very nice of you to offer. just one of the many benefits of being a member, helping each other.
    Will contact you off line.

Jerry

Registered user.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    I am making a Power Point presentation titled "The Clockmakers Hall of Shame".

It will be a collection of pics of botched, bodgered and totally improper repair jobs including badly punched pivot holes, solder disasters, including corrosion caused by not removing acid flux. Well you get the idea.

I will be using this as a program at our next chapter meeting. Also I will make it available to everyone as a download.
    I already have quite a few pics and want to add to them so please add any pics to this thread.

I think this could be a fun and educational topic. Get those digital cameras ready.

Cheers,
    Jerry
    I don't think your heading is quite right. You see, from my experience, a botched job was not done by a clockmaker. A clockmaker wouldn't do such a poor job of making or repairing a clock.
    Someone who THOUGHT he was a clock repairer might do a bad repair and I've even come across watchmakers who do a poor repair on clocks.

When you think about it anyone who is qualified or experienced and taught properly will never botch a repair because they have the knowledge and professionalism to do the job in the correct manner even if this means a lot of work.

I think you should review your heading to something like "Amateur repair attempts" or Amateur clock repairs".
    I don't think clockmakers would be happy about having a "Hall of shame" to be honest. I take a lot of pride in my work and like to tell people I'm a clockmaker. I honestly don't think calling clockmakers "botchers" is appropriate at all.

I hope you will consider my points of view.

I agree with oldticker. Maybe "Clock Botchers Hall of Shame" It's just a shame that some call themselves 'clockmakers' when nothing could be further from the truth. Rather like 'shade-tree mechanics', huh?. FWIW..............doc
    Exodus 31:6 "...and I have given to all able men ability, that they may make all that I have commanded you."

I forgot about a few more that I have in my "to fix" pile...

This one, is my aunt's clock. She asked me if I could clean it and fix it for her. She liked the tone of it, although it is HORRIFYINGLY out of tune (almost painfully so), and the previous "repairman" fitted a new bezel that was too small, so he mangled and butchered the entire dial surround.

Worst yet, is that the door won't even shut properly.

It's like that ALL the way around.

This next one is SUPPOSED to be a bautiful 1/4 striking Peerless (German - high quality make) clock. However, a previous repairman, modified the movement, making it ting tang the hours, and doing one ting tang on the 1/2. To do this, one entire piece (a cam wheel for the 1/4s) was entirely removed, and several pins added to the minute hand shaft. The 1/4 snail (missing) should be attached to this piece:

And for no apparent reason, the hour hand snail was also butchered.

Registered user.

Oldticker,

Look at it this way. Some of the pics I have of botched jobs were done by clockmakers that has been repairing clocks for many years. (no one I know personally) Hence he should feel shame.

It also takes a clockmaker to mend the damage done, its a shame he has to spend extra time to the correct the damage.

Jerry

Registered user.

Here is another I ran across. No explanationation necessary. Picture tell it all.

Jerry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ms5.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	13.1 KB 
ID:	1258  

Oh sweet LORD.