Month's Goal: $300, Received: $350.00 - (117%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2596 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Large French Belgian slate/marble clocks

Greetings all,

Recently I have seen a couple of nice examples of French Black Belgian Slate/Marble clocks. The second example below (not my clock) is one of the nicest that I have seen in awhile. It has beveled glass, open escapement, gold sash and an Ellicott pendulum. The dial is signed by the retailer and the movement is marked by a Paris establishment that I do not recognize.

The biggest drawback to these clocks in my opinion is their weight. As I have gotten older it is difficult to say the least to handle these clocks.

The first example is one of my clocks and is a little different in style. It has the arched glass that is etched with a design and the faux mercury pendulum (original).

Does anyone else have a good example of these type clocks and/or comments about them?

Thanks and Best Regards,

Richard T.

[edit=2214=1173107000]Edited to correctly identify photos[/edit]
    [edit=2214=1173107032]Edited to correctly identify photos[/edit]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FrenchBlack1..jpg   FrenchBlack2..jpg  
    Best,
    Richard T.

Default Re: Large French Belgian slate/marble clocks (RE: Richard T.)

Richard,

I have 7 French slate / marble clocks in my collection most of which (but not all) are smaller in size than the examples you are showing.
    Even so they are still very heavy clocks but fortunately I have an old Victorian house with large slate mantles which handle these clocks with no problems.

These French clocks are usually of good quality and I have yet to come across one where the movement hasn't been in good condition.
    I have never seen one thats needed any bushing, and I have seen quite a few.

I did have a very large Japy Freres, but it had to go because it just took up to much space. (See photo)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0945.JPG  

Hello Graham and thanks for your reply and comments. The Japy is a nice example as well. I sold another of my very large blacks the other day. I bought it when I was living in the UK in the mid 60's.

I also have a very sturdy mantel, it's just trying to put one of these clocks on it when it's as high as your head!

Best,

Richard T.
    [edit=2214=1173135705][/edit]
    Best,
    Richard T.

Registered user.

They are a lovely piece of precision engineering, despite the semi mass production.
    Bushing? Forget it. Same with the mainsprings; rarely need replacement, and the new ones won't last 150 years.
    Mike - banned member of the throwaway society.

Hmmmm, That did not work.
    I will try something else.
    D

Blog Entries

I agree Richard T. Here are three examples from my collection. The last one weighs close to a hundred pounds with the Dumaige Bronze included in the weight. I am only thankful they will separate for moving purposes. Most of the weight is in the clock's case.
    [edit=506=1173235014][/edit]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Marti 1.jpg   Marti 2.jpg   Marti 3.jpg  

Hello Lamar and thanks for sharing the photos of your clocks. Great looking clocks. Very nice bronze statue on the last as well.

Best,

Richard t.
    Best,
    Richard T.

Registered user.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick
    This Fench slate clock recently came in for repair.
    The rear of the movement is stamped “Rainco, Freres, Paris.”
    The clock dial is marked “Pernet A Nancy.”
    Dick
    It is probably Raingo Frères, Paris. (Raingo brothers)
    Pernet would have been the retailer, in Nancy.
    [colour=blue]Look at this[/colour].
    There appear to be a couple of mistakes in the name.
    Mike - banned member of the throwaway society.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick
    Try #3
    Dick,
    Try removing the hash (#) symbol from your photos titles.
    This symbol apparently screws up the photo posting

If this does not work, I will be moving on. Grrrrrrrrr!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails French Clock 1.jpg  

Boy, What a little symbol like # can cause.
    The clock came in for repair and the owner asked me if I could find anything about the clock. Mr. John Woolsey has been kind enough to respond in the clock repair section that the retailer, while in France, is near the border with Germany. The total height is approximately 25 inches and the clock is made from slate and brass.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dial, Bezel 1.jpg   Statue 1.jpg  

The movement has a broken main spring or broken spring end on the time train (spring barrel). As I was examining the movement, I noticed that it had a rack, but no snail. It strikes on the hour and half on a cup bell attached to a bell stand on the rear plate. The strike actuating sequence is the same as any “normal” clock, except the rack falls against one of six pegs in the wheel linked to the hour wheel. This wheel rotates once in three days. Is there a name for this strike assembly?
    Can anyone give more information about the clock?
    Many thanks,
    d
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails French Mov't 5.jpg  

Blog Entries

Thank You Richard T. The Dumaige statue is certainly not an original clock topper. It is French and from the same time period as Marti (Bronze era).
    The good, bad, and ugly for us clock collectors is; it a pretty piece (good), doesn't keep time (bad), and is far more valuable than all three of the clocks I posted combined (the ugly). Best Regards, Lamar

Dick, that's very interesting. I've never seen striking quite like that. Where was the clock sold? Do you have any dates for the retailer?
    Are the mounts really brass, or are they gilt bronze? They look like they've been gold plated. Have you tested the case, to see if it's marble? It's my impression that, despite the usual derogatory description of them as slate, implying that these clocks were cheap and dirty, most of the true French and Belgian items are of black Belgian marble.
    Is the theme of the statue identified? Would those be flames to the statue's right? Or a plant? And is that a cross on the figure's forehead?

Hello again,

I am posting pictures of two more French black slate/marble clocks. These two are not as heavy as the larger ones but still weigh quite a bit.

The first is French, S. Marti, open escapement. This clock was a yard sale find and only needed cleaning and a broken pallet jewel replaced. The top also needed to be polished.

The second photo is of a French case imported by Waterbury Clock Co. in which they installed their "star" movement. It is Waterbury No. 2819.

The pictures may not have loaded properly (focus).

I will reload the photos. Jeff please delete these two that are not in focus.

Thanks

Regards,

Richard T.
    [edit=2214=1173365635][/edit]
    [edit=2214=1173365788][/edit]
    [edit=2214=1173365949][/edit]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FrenchBlack3..jpg   Waterbury2819..jpg  
    Best,
    Richard T.